DIY Project: Basket Weaving

DIY Woven Baskets trio
The one (and only) big problem I have with being a DIY blogger is the fast accumulation of, for want of a better word, stuff. In every single thing I own I see an endless potential for a project. Crafts materials quickly stack up. It’s the life of a hoarder with a cause which goes directly against my ideas of a beautiful, clutter-free home.

So, as I gather up more and more materials, I need to find more and more attractive ways of hiding them and this is where I come into my element. Making my own storage is always the best option for me. In my small home office, creating bespoke solutions maximizes the small space and gives me more room to work (or just fill with more stuff), so it’s usually my first port of call.

Square woven baskets are easy to make, durable and look fantastic, so I made this trio of baskets in various sizes for my latest attempt at controlling the clutter. -Fran

Click through for the full how-to after the jump!

Materials:

– Basket cane/reed

-Metal ruler

-Scissors

-Pegs

DIY Woven Baskets materials

Steps:

1. Soak the canes in warm water for about an hour then drain, and hang to remove excess water.

2. When there is no visible water left on the canes, cut into similar length strips. The amount will depend on the size of the basket, but you always need to work with odd numbers of horizontal and vertical canes. My middle-sized basket has 7×7 canes. The length of the canes will determine the height of the basket, so it’s always better to over-estimate.

DIY Woven Baskets cut reed

3. Take half of your canes and secure them to a surface with tape or a heavy book. Try to imagine a square made from the other seven canes laid over the middle of these. Tape at the edge of this square.

DIY Woven Baskets tape down half reed

4. Start weaving the first of the remaining canes in. You want all the canes to be the same way around. Work with the natural curve of each cane so that the ends curl up towards you.

DIY Woven Baskets weave first strand

5. Take another cane and alternate the weave to create a classic basket weave.

DIY Woven Baskets weave second row

6. When you’ve finished weaving in all of the canes you should be left with a square right in the middle of all your canes.

DIY Woven Baskets bottom

7. Test the cane to see which way it bends. The wrong way will split the wood but the right way will create a smooth bend as shown below.

DIY Woven Baskets fold

8. Lay the canes so that you can bend them up towards you without splitting. Work around all four sides, bending the canes over a straight edge to get a clean line.

DIY Woven Baskets fold down sides

9. I’ve found there are two ways to weave the sides in: One at a time using clothing pegs to hold the canes in place or weaving in three canes at once. I’m going to show you the latter because I think it’s a little bit quicker and easier, and who doesn’t want that?

Starting on one side of the square, weave in a much longer length of cane (this has to go all the way around the basket) keeping the pattern of the weave and ensuring that you can bend the cane up towards you.

DIY Woven Baskets begin to weave outsides

10. Do this with another three long lengths of cane.

DIY Woven Baskets three strands

11. Bend all three together at the very edge of the last cane that they are woven into.

DIY Woven Baskets fold over three strand

12. Continue to weave all three canes through the second side. Remember to keep the weave consistent at the corners.

DIY Woven Baskets two sides

13. Fold and weave through the third and fourth sides until you’ve reached where you started.

DIY Woven Baskets three sides copy DIY Woven Baskets with four sides

14. Trim down the excess cane to around two inches and weave the ends into each other.

DIY Woven Baskets weave sides together

15. The basket is taking shape now. Weave in the next canes one by one until you’re happy with the height of the basket. You need to have a least three inches left on the “spokes” to bend them down into the basket, so bear this in mind when you’re creating the height.

DIY Woven Baskets with four sides

16. Fold over the outer spokes (the ones that are on the outer side of the last cane) over and into the basket. Tuck these away under the third cane row down. To make this easier, trim to size and use a butter knife to lift the third row and slot the spoke underneath.

DIY Woven Baskets fold over outer reeds

17. Do this for every outer spoke. This will leave every other spoke free. Run one last length of cane around the middle of the basket and peg into place.

DIY Woven Baskets inner ridge copy

18. Bend and tuck all of the remaining spokes over this cane and under the second row down.

DIY Woven Baskets fold under strand

19. Position the ends of the cane underneath a spoke to create a neater finish to your basket.

DIY Woven Baskets last strandDIY Woven Baskets copy

I made two more baskets. A smaller one with 5×5 spokes and a larger basket using 9×9 cane spokes. These baskets were filled unsurprisingly quickly, but luckily I have a lot of cane left over. I’ll definitely be making some more.

DIY Woven Baskets stacked copy

DIY Woven Baskets trio landscapeDIY Woven Baskets styled

1. Lisa says:

I love this! Have always wanted to try my hand at basket weaving.
    Also like the idea of trying this with felt or another thick fabric to make soft bins for all of my son’s little collections.

2. Vajra says:

These are so beautiful! It never occurred to me that I might be able to MAKE a basket.

3. Nitabiti says:

I know this problem!
    I have so many random things laying around and I done this weave baskets with newspaper! I made few of those and they are still in pretty good shape.

4. amy bordeaux says:

beautiful! may i ask where did you get the E print in the background? :)

-amy

5. Gee says:

I like these! Could you make a video tutorial?

6. Gorgeous!! Could you tell me what width of cane you used? Thanks!

7. Josephine Penelope says:

You clever thing, these look awesome, Christmas holiday project!

8. Fangaroni says:

Cool! Design sponge had a similar basket tutorial a few years back using strips of brown paper which I made! Good to know I can make another one out of basket cane that will be more sturdy!

9. Stefanie says:

oh wow! I took a basket weaving class when I was 10 or so and got SUPER into it, but forgot about it until now… it’s all coming back to me now. Thanks for the reminder!

Also, I totally identify with the crafter/hoarder who wants to be minimalist. I’m a knitter with yarn stacked everywhere, but also feel the urge to give away most of my belongings. I guess I’d give up the TV and tchotchkes long before the yarn.

10. Jenn says:

I’d love to try this — any chance you can give us some actual measurements to start with (for example, the lengths of cane you cut for each part of your sample basket)? It’ll be much easier to make the first one with measurements — thanks!

11. lexi says:

awesome! what size cane did you use?

12. Roxanne says:

As a DIY blogger myself, that first paragraph really struck a cord! So true! Is there a self-help group for people like us??

13. Nicole says:

I’d also love to know what size cane you used, what length for each basket, and where to purchase. Great DIY!

14. Vicki says:

This is amazing! I want to do this right now :D Thanks for sharing such a great DIY!

15. pedritxes says:

I love it¡¡¡¡¡¡ really cute .
    thank you for sharing it with us.
    pedritxes from Barcelona

16. Souda says:

This looks like a really fun DIY. Can’t wait to try. Have you played around with more complicated shapes?

17. VLP says:

I weave baskets and you did a wonderful job demonstrating. So clean, neat and beautiful.

18. siphiwe n mofokeng says:

Wow I love this, m gonna try a washing basket.

19. Karen says:

Thank you. I enjoy hiking in the desert and often come across rusty objects. Recently I found long rusty metal strips about 3/4-inch wide (believe they were straps for timbers). One of my thoughts was to make rustic baskets, so thank you. So now to learn about metal rivets.

20. Sarah says:

Thank you so much for these very clear directions. I home school and needed to do this project. I have never attempted it before but because you kept it simple and clear, I have confidence we will really enjoy this project.

21. Michelle says:

I was wondering if I could make one of them then, use it as a mold to crochet strips. then apply corn starch to finish the shape!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. richardfuller says:

What size flat cane/reed is used and about what length, I am new to this and could use some help.

Thanks!

23. cordelia says:

love this its so cute and yet so classic.it can be used in a lot of ways.I made one and now i never lose my things any more any more

24. Amber N. says:

This looks great! My son is doing a basketry merit and is a visual/auditory learner. A video would be awesome for this! Have you considered doing one?
    Thanks again