DIY Chunky Tassel Blanket

Tassel blanket
I don’t know what it is about autumn, but I always get so giddy when it’s finally here. Growing up in Washington, fall was like a second spring – one last grand finale from Mother Nature before winter came. Early sunsets, warm fires, hot cocoa, snuggly blankets – everything about this season is cozy. So obviously, I’m beyond excited to cuddle up with this new tassel blanket. It’s easy to make and lets me indulge in my obsession with tassels. I hope you guys enjoy this and give it a try if you need some extra cozy in your home this fall. –Sara from Tell Love and Chocolate

IMG_2996

Click through for the full how-to after the jump!

Materials:

-One blanket (this one is from Target in twin size)
-Piece of cardboard 7×7 inches
-3 skeins of yarn
-Scissors
-Matching thread to yarn colors

Steps:

1. Take your yarn and begin to wrap it around your cardboard as shown.

IMG_2834
IMG_2843

2.Continue wrapping until you reach a desired thickness. For these chunky tassels I wrapped around about 55 times.

IMG_2846

3. Then cut the yarn and take a new piece of yarn and tuck it through the wrapped yarn. Pull it to the very top and then tie a knot as shown.

IMG_2850
IMG_2853

4. Now cut through all the layers of yarn at the bottom of the tassel. It is easier to tie the top knot loose, then tie it tight once the yarn is cut off the cardboard.

IMG_2856
IMG_2857

5. Take another piece of yarn (a little longer than the length of your tassel) and tie off the top of the tassel. Then tuck the strings of the tie in so it blends with the rest of the tassel.

IMG_2859

6. Then repeat and tie off another section of the tassel, creating two balls.

IMG_2861

7. I made six tassels for each side of the blanket in alternating colors.

8. Now get your thread and needle.

9. Take your tassel and make one or two more knots on top, then cut off excess string.

IMG_2862
IMG_2863

10. Sew on the tassel, in a repeated loop, so the thread is unnoticeable. (For my blanket, each tassel is 13 inches apart, continue alternating colors until you are finished!) Now snuggle up!

IMG_2982

IMG_2984

IMG_2986

IMG_2989

tassel blanket 3

tassel blanket 2

1. Alexandra says:

So pretty! This would make an excellent, tasteful holiday gift. Pinning!

Warm Regards,
    Alexandra

2. Jennette says:

Awesome. I’m probably going to put tassels on all the things now :)

3. Cute! And easy peasy! Great post.

4. Tricia says:

My cats are plotting against the tassels even before I make them. sigh.

1. Grace Bonney says:

Tricia

I know how you feel. Turk is constantly ruining anything textile-based that I love.

Grace

5. Kelli says:

Love this so much!!

6. kayse says:

This is absolutely gorgeoussssss!!!! How simple and beautiful.

7. Josephine Penelope says:

Love this, and it’s given me a bit of an idea for making a scarf in a similar way. Thanks!

8. AMAZING!! :) Cute idea, thank’s so much!
    xoxo, juliana

9. Kate says:

Mega tassles get a MASSIVE thumbs up from me and I love how they are so easy to make *goes off to add tassles to everything* Thanks for such a great idea!

10. Excellent how-to-do-it pictures and directions. I was thinking one tassel on each corner to weight the corners down as a bedspread would be cute. Love it!

11. joselyn says:

Woooooowwwwwww. I’m really impressed with how beautiful this blanket is, yet how simple it is to make. Love love love.

12. kiran says:

love this idea, definitely giving it a go for my bedroom!

13. Sophie says:

Wow! Love this. Bookmarking and having a creative weekend :)

14. April says:

Definitely going to try this, thanks for sharing!

15. such great work!
    (Can I also mention how jealous we are about your scissors!)

Ha I guess if you work with fabric often you cant help but notice!
    We make our own cushions and bespoke furniture so absolutely love this.

The photography is great also! Well done

Would love your feedback on our cushions etc if you wouldnt mind?
    Its all hand made in Wanaka NZ

Jane

16. Natalia says:

Very beautiful!!!! What is a yarn?

17. This twist totally makes the entire blanket. I love it. I need some Christmas gift ideas and I would prefer to put in some handmade effort. Like other commenters, I am afraid of the cats’ reactions.

18. Miranda says:

I really love this. I’d like to give it a go this weekend!

19. I love the chunky tassel look, I am so tassel crazy at the moment. I so want to try and make my own chunky tassel blanket now! x