With entertaining, we often spend a lot of time planning and making our environment perfect. We make sure that every detail is in the correct spot in the hopes that our guests will ooh and aahh at them. Sometimes, though, the simplest piece can make the biggest statement – and be simple to make. Trivets are often overlooked, but these workhorses of the dining table can be both practical and beautiful. This seriously quick and easy DIY will elevate your humble trivet and give it the attention it deserves – and hopefully get a thumb’s up from your guests. Below are the step-by-step directions to making a star cork trivet, but you can easily create several shapes using this process that will work with any space and style. –Lindy
Click through for the full how-to after the jump!
-corkboard (I suggest flat corkboard)
-mat cutter or X-Acto blade
1. Print and cut out shape template. (For the bigger star you will need to tape it.)
2. If your corkboard is rolled up, make sure to flatten it. One way to flatten is by placing heavy books on top. This may take some time to flatten, so to avoid that, purchase flat corkboard. You can purchase sheets of corkboard at almost any craft or office supply store.
3. Gather your material and place on a flat surface.
4. Take the corkboard and place the template over the corkboard. Using the Sharpie, mark out the shape on the corkboard.
5. Cut the shape out using the mat cutter or X-Acto knife. Repeat for as many as you desire.