How To Create Content for the (New) Online World

DesignSponge: How To Create Content for the Web
For this week’s radio show, I decided to tackle a topic that moves beyond the world of design and touches on something that’s important to every field and business: How to create content and share your message with the new online world. Over the past few years, the way people find, read and ultimately react to content online has drastically changed. In just a few years, the web has gone from being a place where people went directly to their favorite sources of information and entertainment, to a world where they can have only their favorite curated forms of content delivered directly to their virtual doorstep in the form of social media, RSS feeds and a number of other mobile and subscription-based services.

Writers, brands, blogs and everyone in between that has a message to share has to now focus on getting their voice onto not just one platform (a blog or home page), but across several, including social media outlets like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Vine and Youtube. But producing content for all those channels can feel exhausting. So I decided to sit down and tackle this somewhat daunting task. Primarily because it had been stressing me out, too. But after I really looked at the issue and what needed to be done I realized that it’s not about creating MORE for the sake MORE, it’s about finding ways to do MORE with the amount of high-quality content you do have time to create. And I’m going to teach you how to do that, including some of my trusted go-to post topics that always seem to work (and still feel true to my voice) in a pinch. Just click “play” below and in 30 minutes you’ll have more than 30 great ideas to get you started. xo, grace

*I’m considering turning this topic into an online course, so stay tuned if you’re interested in a more in-depth version!

1. Robin says:

So excited to listen to this, Grace. I love the idea of emphasizing and doing more with what we already have or are already doing/creating. Such a great perspective and shift in thinking. And I think an ecourse is a wonderful idea. I am officially interested! :)

1. Grace Bonney says:

Thanks, Robin!

Grace

2. Alesya Opelt says:

Sign me up for the online course now! Love living here in Charleston, but always miss that I can’t attend your classes.

3. Luisa says:

This was one of the best episodes! Thank you for being at the top of your game and sharing your knowledge. I think I have to listen to it twice and then make a detailed plan.

1. Grace Bonney says:

thanks luisa!

grace :)

4. YES! I love the idea of working smarter, not harder. So excited to give this a listen!

5. Emi says:

I can’t wait to listen to this on my walk home tonight!! You’ve got to be one of the best to learn this from, so I can’t wait to hear what you have to say!

6. Tracey Cove says:

Thank you so much for this Grace!! I love the way you guys have moved forward with your blog (have been following for years, but never commented before). Your use of instagram is such an inspiration. Definitely interested in the course!

1. Grace Bonney says:

thanks so much you guys! :)

grace

7. Zinnia says:

How do you do this? You consistently boil down overwhelming management topics into lists and steps that are so incredibly helpful. Next challenges: ISIS, Ebola, Middle East conflict, and behavior of NFL players. Grace for President!

8. Candice says:

Grace – I enjoy your podcasts so much and appreciate the wisdom that you share. Thank you!

9. I really enjoyed this podcast, Grace! I love the thought of moving towards really high quality content that can be cleverly spread over multiple platforms. So smart!

10. Marcia says:

Fabulous post! I actually took notes — lots of them!! And can’t wait to put these ideas into action. Seems like such a simple, but powerful, approach.

11. Tamara says:

As a new blogger, this was so informative. Thanks for giving me the inspiration and wisdom I needed today! I also took notes, and know I will refer back to them time and time again.

12. Jennifer says:

You are my seriously in my ear all the time, thank you for being so generous with your knowledge.

13. This was a nice listen while breastfeeding…enriching my Lil and my content!

14. Patty says:

This podcast couldn’t have come at a better time. As a longtime blogger, I have seen the shift away from my blog and onto other platforms. This dramatic shift has overwhelmed me and quite frankly, I have been feeling paralyzed with figuring out how to manage all aspects of social media.
    Your detailed lists absolutely infused me with ideas. I feel so empowered. I’m hosting a dinner party tonight but can’t stop writing down all my ideas. Thank you SO much.

1. Grace Bonney says:

thanks patty!

grace :)

15. What a fabulous listening experience. I felt like I was getting a common sense “talking to” from a good friend. Valuable information, direct without being patronizing.

1. Grace Bonney says:

thanks sarah :)

grace

16. I just wanted to add my voice to the cheering section for an online course about creating content….yes, please…..sign me up! You’re so savvy about social media and we could all benefit from your expertise. Thanks for your continued inspiration!

17. Keetha says:

I look forward to hearing more about an online course! That’s a great idea.

18. I love these Podcasts and find myself rewinding over and over to make notes. Great as always, Grace!

19. I’ve always skipped over the podcast posts (my house is a noisy place) but this one caught my attention so I had to save it and listen to it in a quiet moment. I’m so glad I did! Wonderful wonderful.

20. Heidi Madden says:

This great advice couldn’t have come at a better time for me and my new blog. Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction.

21. Can’t wait to listen. I feel like this is EXACTLY what I need right now – thank you!

22. Pamela says:

A fantastically presented and informative podcast, I will definitely be subscribing and look forward to listening more! Thank you so much for all of the great tips!

23. Camila says:

Hey! I enjoyed it a lot since it came in the right moment! Sometimes we reach this dead end where we know things have got to change a bit with the content we share. Thanks for sharing it! LOVED it!

24. Mary Verett says:

I almost pulled my car over so I could take notes on this (plus the other 3 of your podcasts I played). I will 100% sign up for an online class on this topic! Bravo!

25. Jill Hinton says:

Grace, this post is so helpful! I am so honored as a reader that you would give such valuable knowledge to us! Totally going to make an outline of this and practice, practice, practice. Thank you :)

26. stephanie says:

I LOVED this episode! I think it was my favorite After the Jump episode so far – I’ve been trying to figure out a way to plan my content with calendars, journals, apps etc, but nothing seemed to click. This episode helped me to finally carve out a doable (and engaging!) content plan. I hope you turn it into an online course!

27. Casey says:

Just now listening to this episode and it’s so good! I would love an e-course on this.