How To Paint a Tile Backsplash

I know what you’re thinking, and the answer is yes, you can totally paint a tile backsplash. It’s all about planning your design and having the right materials. Inspired by the graphic look of Moroccan tiles, I added a geometric pattern to a standard-issue white backsplash, and the result contributed a ton of style to a formerly drab kitchen. Click “play” to watch and learn, and check out the full list of materials and step-by-step instructions on One Kings Lane’s Style Blog! For more fun projects, check out my Weekend Decorator page, and get a behind-the-scenes look at projects I have in the works over on Instagram. —Megan

unnamed

1. Jill says:

I love it!!! Could this work on floor tiles?

2. Oh my Gosh! how cool is this! goodbye ugly drab white tiles and hello color!!!

3. Erika says:

Yes! I too would like to know if this work on floor and or counter tiles.

1. Barbara says:

I am painting my bathroom counter top that is trimmed with a glossie ceramic tile. I would like to make the tile match the new color the counter top is going to be. What I would like to know is do I need to sand it first and do I paint over the caulking and then add fresh caulking over it when paint clear coating is dry?

4. Liv Elin says:

Love it :) but youtube says think before you share…is that because its private?

5. Brilliant, such a useful post! Now a tile back splash doesn’t have to mean the end.

6. Esha says:

Would this work for bathroom tile or is there too much moisture there?

7. izabela says:

Thanks for sharing!

8. I would have never guessed that was painted tile. The color and design are gorgeous!

9. kristin says:

Is there a less permanent way to alter a backsplash? I’m moving into a new apartment and I really hate the current cutesy backsplash, but I’m not sure my landlord would want me to paint it.

thanks!

1. Grace Bonney says:

Kristin

There are a few things you can do, but because of how much water is in that area, you have to keep an eye on any of these projects to make sure nothing gets trapped under them.

I’m a big fan of having a sheet of plexi cut to fit the space and then using double-sided tape to adhere that at the far corners of the piece. Then you can place anything you want under it- wallpaper, starched fabric, etc. to give the space some pattern.

This project at Door Sixteen is a bit more involved, but gives you a much more finished look :)

Grace

10. Heidi says:

What color and brand paint did you use here on the tile?

11. Eileen says:

Do NOT do this project! It is unbelievably time consuming just to tape the pattern. THEN a lot of the paint pulls off when you remove the tape and totally messes up whatever you did. You can’t really touch it up without the tape on either. Also, the paint scrapes off very easily, as you think it would. So mad I did this.

1. Grace Bonney says:

Eileen

I’m so sorry you had that experience. What sort of tape did you use and did you apply very thin coats? I know Megan did this on video for OKL, so it’s been done and worked before, but I agree, tape on tile can be tricky.

Grace

12. Dean says:

This is an excellent tutorial. The final product looks amazing. Moroccan tiles have always looked so elegant. As mentioned, the key seems to be proper planning beforehand. Thanks so much for sharing!

13. artgsg says:

Looks awesome! How long will it stick though? I would love to hear that.
    Also, are painted tiles suitable in a working surface of any kind? My guess is no, right?