Before & After: DIY Herringbone Wall

herringbone makeover designsponge
name
Some before & afters are all about a giant POW! of change: full home demolitions, knocking down walls and taking houses down to their studs. But some transformations are more focused on doing something clever with a small space that needs some new life. Today’s makeover falls into the second category of celebrating tiny nooks with a DIY upgrade.

When Amanda Devries of Gezellig Life wanted to give her “ho-hum” entryway wall a makeover, she looked no further than her own backyard. After doing some major demolition on her family’s home in Ontario, she was left with some beautiful pieces of salvaged wood. Determined to find a way to keep them as a part of the new space, she decided to create a herringbone pattern on the wall using those leftover planks. The whole project took eight hours from start to finish and didn’t cost a thing except for Amanda’s time! The finished look made her so happy that she was inspired to use salvaged bricks from the home’s original storage room to create a brand new hearth around their wood burning stove. Talk about making the most of what you have around you. Thanks so much to Amanda for sharing this with us and be sure to read on to hear more about her upcycled makeover. xo, grace

Click through for the full makeover and process after the jump!

the before

before

process

materials

step1

step2

the after

after

budget and thoughts

1. Lindsay M says:

That’s awesome. Well done.

2. I love that she chose a herringbone pattern!
    Well done! and a renovation highfive to Amanda!

3. Sweet Chili says:

Such a lovely easy but super effective transformation!
    Well done!

Gloria

4. Jilly says:

Beautiful! I love using something you have to give your house character! Did she finish the edge somehow?

5. Brandi says:

I love the wood, and the pattern. I have a small entry as well and have the hardest time figuring out how to hide the shoes, not only so you can’t see them, but to get them out of the way.

6. rosangela says:

I love the wood together with the colours, very modern/natural deco.

7. Vanessa says:

I like it and it does look like it would have been fun/easy to do.

8. HB says:

Cute! Love the Michigan map too!

9. Interioridea says:

Lovely transformation! love it!

10. This type of wooden wall is fantastic. We don’t see enough of it in the UK but it makes rooms feel amazing. For sure I will be doing something like for a spare room in my home. Great stuff! The coloured “tiles” too.

11. Jay says:

I have remodeled my basement with reclaimed materials. I came up with a cool idea for the ceiling… one I have not seen elsewhere. I would like to document it online, not to toot my own horn, but to put it out there for others to see. Where is the best place to post it?