DIY Bag Tag from Jourdan Fairchild

Last week, Jourdan Fairchild, author of the recently released e-book Fly DIY: Crafts for the Modern Traveler, shared with us a project for making DIY Mini Suitcases as a way to store and display the little treasures picked up while traveling. When prepping for a recent trip, Jourdan became annoyed by how frequently she was dipping into her travel budget before she even left. Because so much of what was on the market in the world of travel goods was either boring and masculine or girly and pricey, she decided to take matters into her own hands with some simple DIY projects. As a former crafts editor, Jourdan has some experience with rolling up her sleeves to make the things she covets. So she spent a few weeks making and remaking the easiest, cheapest, most enviable crafts to take on planes, trains and automobiles, and then compiled everything into her first e-book, Fly DIY: Crafts for the Modern Traveler – the 59-page book has 12 simple and affordable projects that will give you something to do while you’re waiting for your next flight out of town.  –Amy

Photography by Carolina Mariana

Image above: Fly DIY: Crafts for the Modern Traveler by Jourdan Fairchild is available for download right here.

See how to make the DIY Bag Tag after the jump!

Bag Tag, from Jourdan: “Once upon a time I spotted a fly swatter online. I thought to myself, “Hey, what can I do with that?” The next thing you know, I was turning it into a bag tag. It might seem crazy, but it totally works. Not only is it 100 percent durable, but this tag is completely original and bright enough to get your attention across the luggage carousel. Add that to the fact that it costs $1 and takes five minutes to make, and I call that a perfect DIY. Am I right?”

• Fly swatter
• Scissors
• Sharpie
• Leather strip
• Super glue

1. Pull swatter off handle; remove any stickers. Using strong scissors, cut ½ inch or so off of each side.

2. Write your name with a Sharpie along the center, solid section of the swatter.

3. Cut a piece of leather to create a loop. Apply super glue to one end of the leather strip.

4. Insert strip into luggage tag. Secure other side once tag is in place on the bag.

1. Nina says:

So fun and playful! Love this craft! Super cute, too!

2. Melissa Koshiol says:

What I want to know is where are those shoes from in the 1st picture?! adorable! Please share.

3. Summer says:

Melissa Koshiol- I was thinking the exact same thing! they look like jeffrey campbell, free people, or truly vintage 70’s leather sling backs…Free People has the Callie Clog which is also really cute but not the exact same thing, also the rendering clog.

4. Katie says:

Where to get those shoes in the first photo

5. Hi
    I just found out about this blog. Canadian! Perfect!

6. Loveash says:

So Im commenting here also for those SHOES!

7. Such a creative ideal. And where to get the shoes in the first picture please?

8. Esz says:

I NEED THOSE SHOES. Omg. Both pairs. Pleeeaaase say they’re available somewhere!

9. Kiki says:

Disappointed to receive this mail today (August 14, 08.he15am French time) with an offer of 50% on the Ebook valid until midnight of August 13, 14….. NOT GOOD
    On the other hand, I really like Jourdan’s personality and I subsequently subscribed to her blog…. :)
    And yes, the idea is brilliant and Jourdan seems the genuine ‘article’. BRAVO….

10. Tina says:

great idea, thank you for sharing and ispiring me :)

11. Danny says:

Great idea! That pair of shoes look extremely cute. Let me check out the book. Thanks!

12. Bonnie says:

This is genius!

13. susan says:

14. Kelley says:

Agree — where are those shoes in the first pic from????

15. limijoo says:

Where are the ribbon shoes from please? :D

16. emily says:

chiming in to ask about the shoes in the first picture!

17. Shannon says:

I see I’m not the only one who’s pining for that first pair of shoes that’s pictured. I love this tag idea – I never would’ve known it started life as a fly swatter! Thanks for the cute and simple DIY.

18. daniela smith says:

has anyone found out the brand of the shoes?????

19. susan says:

what about the shoes?! anyone?

20. Thanks for the kind words, everyone! The leather shoes in the first photo are Miss Sixty from years ago. The striped pair was made by Coach, but I also got those many years ago. Bummer they’re not still available!

21. susan says:

Thanks, Jourdan!! Found them on eBay in black, size 9.5. Won’t work for me, but in case it will for someone else…