DIY Refrigerator Update

fridge3
Yesterday we got to learn more about Elsie and Emma of A Beautiful Mess and today I’m thrilled to be sharing one of my favorite project ideas from their new book, Happy Handmade Home. We’re always excited to get a new design book in the mail, but this one stood out to me because the project ideas are simple but make such bold statements. This fridge makeover project is a perfect example. Using only electrical tape and scissors, Emma and Elsie totally made over an everyday fridge to create a look inspired by traditional Turkish kilim rugs. Thanks so much for sharing this with us! xo, grace

Screen Shot 2014-08-19 at 4.59.17 PM

You can pre-order your copy of Happy, Handmade Home right here. And we’re giving away some copies – enter here!

AHMM

Click through for the full post after the jump!

fridge2
Project from A Beautiful Mess: Happy Handmade Home

Update Your Old Refrigerator

If a fancy new fridge doesn’t fit your budget this year, no biggie! Try updating your existing fridge with electrical tape. The tape can easily be removed (in case your lease is up!) and is super easy to wipe down and clean.

Supplies: white (or colored) electrical tape and scissors

1. Sketch out your pattern on a piece of paper. We created our design based on Turkish kilim rugs.
2. Starting with the designs on top and bottom, begin to cut your tape into strips and apply them to the fridge.
3. For a cleaner look, cover any areas that have tape ends with a finishing piece of tape.

how to add electrical tape
fridge1

1. Amber says:

That is a terrific idea! It is such a simple idea, I don’t know why I haven’t thought about using washi tape on our fridge to add some ka-pow!

2. Christina says:

I love it! They come up with the best ideas!

3. fun idea! especially as an interim solution for getting new appliances.

4. Anne says:

Cute idea, but electrical tape leaves such a scuzzy residue when it gets old! I’m curious why they chose that kind of tape. Why not use washi tape or something that’s easier to clean up?

1. Grace Bonney says:

Hi Anne!

I wondered that myself and discovered, first hand, that washi tape doesn’t hang onto that knubby surface that most fridges have. It might work better on a stainless steel fridge though.

Electrical tape “scuzz” can be removed with one of those Mr. Clean Erasers pretty well :)

Grace

5. Gail says:

Clever, simple and cool idea for the fridge!

6. aniqa says:

Love this design! :)

7. Great idea! I love this!

Love,

8. Lauranne says:

I was wondering how to make my fridge more interesting, and now I know!

9. Christine says:

I love this site!!!

10. C. A. Reed says:

Fantastic project. At first I thought it was paint or spray. It looks easy and again looks absolutely great! I love it!

11. This is a fantastic idea, I love how simple it is. The finished fridge looks amazing.