Behind WWAKE’s Opal Earrings

wwakeear
1wwake
Growing up, I was always a little disappointed that my birthstone was an opal. I wished it was something fancier like April’s diamond or something a bit more colorful like July’s ruby. But lately, the opal had been everywhere, and I’m feeling a little more friendly toward October’s birthstone. I was introduced to WWAKE on our Design*Sponge trip to the Hamptons last year when we popped into Love Adorned. The store is filled with the most beautiful jewelry, textiles and ceramics, but I was drawn to WWAKE’s jewelry. Designer Wing Yau has a background in sculpture and her jewelry feels like tiny pieces of wearable art. They are so light and sculptural and breathtaking in their simplicity. Her appreciation for craft came from the three years she spent in Lima, Peru as a teenager and her time spent watching her father, who was an engineer, exercise his creativity in his free time as a painter and woodworker. Wing applies her sculptural training – gleaned from her time at RISD – in her New York studio working with a much smaller canvas, and lately she’s been all about the opal. So we asked her for a peek behind her creative process designing WWAKE’s opal circle earrings.  -Amy

Photography by Shay Platz photography

wwakeinspiration

See behind WWAKE’s opal earrings after the jump!

circleopalwwake
1designprocess

wwake

finalresult

1. emily says:

LOVE– as a fellow Opal birthstone person. It’s taken me a while to love them, but now I do. I love what you’ve made of them. Thank you!!

2. Peggy says:

I want! I felt the same way about opals. So glad I got over that. :)

3. Beverley says:

ooooo i looooove these!! so cute! fellow opal birthstone-ian

..x

4. tolis says:

We love the design thanks for sharing!

5. The Olson Farm says:

Well, they are not on Love Adorned’s website, but I’m pretty sure they’re on Catbird’s website, for those who don’t live in New York.

1. Amy Azzarito says:

@The Olson Farm – The link to the earrings is in the post. You can buy them directly from WWAKE. Thanks, Amy

6. Meinhilde says:

Opals are so mesmerizing. I have a bluish one set in a ring, and it seems to glow when I wear it.

7. Meg says:

These are beautiful! Opals have always been my favorite

8. Melissa says:

These earrings are so beautiful! Love opal! Do they come in sterling?