In the Kitchen With: Tyler Herald’s Summer Green Bean Salad

This week we are bringing you a great summer salad from Tyler Herald, executive chef at Napolese Pizzeria, an Indianopolis restaurant that uses the produce of more than ten local farmers on its menu.  Tyler’s summer green bean salad with cherry tomatoes and peach gastrique just jumped off the page at me and I so wish I could taste it in his restaurant, but am so happy he agreed to share the recipe for it here on the column.  It is a beautiful colorful salad that takes advantage of the finest produce in season now:  corn, tomatoes, peaches, and green beans.  I look forward to making it this weekend.  If you try it out, too, please let us know!  -Kristina

About Tyler Herald:  Chef Tyler Herald has been cooking since he was 14, when he learned to cook for himself at home, while his mother ran her own restaurant. Though his culinary style has evolved, his philosophy remains the same: Keep it simple, and use the freshest and best quality ingredients. He has worked across the United States in various roles, ranging from personal chef to his current role as executive chef for Patachou, Inc. He was named one of Nuvo Newsweekly’s “30 Under 30″.

See how easy it is to make Tyler’s recipe after the jump!

Chef Tyler Herald and Napolese manager Emily; Portrait and food photography by Stacy Newgent

Summer Green Bean Salad with Cherry Tomatoes and Peach  Gastrique

Serves 4

• 1 ear of corn
  • 1  teaspoon olive oil
  • 5 cups beans (green, yellow wax) , Trimmed, Blanched, Shocked in ice water
  • 2 1/2 cups Cherry Tomatoes, halved, vertically
  • 1/4 cup Sunflower Seeds, shelled and salted
  • 2/3 cup Goat Cheese
  • 1/4 cup Peach Gastrique (recipe follows)
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • 2 tablespoons, Wildflower Honey

Cut the kernels from one ear of corn and toss with olive oil.  Roast in the oven at 425F for 10-15 minutes.  Set aside to cool while you make the peach gastrique.

To compose the salad:

Set aside 1 tablespoon of sunflower seeds.  Combine the corn, beans, tomatoes, remaining sunflower seeds, and goat cheese in a bowl, and toss together with the peach gastrique.   Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Divide among 4 plates.  Finish each plate with a drizzle of wildflower honey.  Top with each plate with the reserved sunflower seeds.

Peach Gastrique

Makes 2 1/2 cups

• 2 cups diced peaches
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 shallot, peeled and minced
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 3 tablespoons white wine
  • 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
  • 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom

In a medium sauce pan, melt butter.  Add shallots, sauté for 1-2 minutes.  Add peaches, and continue to sauté, add sugar, and deglaze with white wine.  Add vinegar, and sauté for another 5 minutes, letting the liquid reduce.  Remove from heat, and add ginger and cardamom.  Allow the mixture to cool completely, blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth.

Why Chef Tyler loves this recipeI feel it really highlights some of summer’s best produce:  grean beans, tomatoes, corn and peaches– all the things that make me think of summer and a backyard garden.  Sunflower seeds too, and ball diamonds and summer!

More about Tyler: At Patachou, Tyler is responsible for menu development and all aspects of kitchen management for all Cafe Patachou, Petite Chou, Napolese, Gelo, and Public Greens locations, in addition to Patachou Catering. He is passionate about the concept of “farm to table” cooking, and works closely with local farmers to ensure that Patachou, Inc. utilizes local, organic produce whenever possible, Indiana heirloom tomatoes being among his favorites. Tyler holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in History from Beloit College in Beloit, Wisconsin, and a culinary degree from Western Culinary School in Portland, Oregon.

1. EmmyL says:

Oh, hey, Indianapolis represent on D*S!

2. sue says:

This looks so delicious! You are killing me posting this before lunch.

3. Stacy says:

This salad is so good! I can’t wait to make it this weekend :)

4. Gina says:

Looks fantastic. The recipe is missing the corn that is referenced in the intro and the picture. If I make this I’ll just char some corn on the grill but I wonder if the chef recommends anything else?

5. Tyler says:

Gina! So sorry we forgot to add the corn:
    One ear of corn, stripped from the cobb and roasted at 425 for 10-15 minutes with a bit of olive oil, let cool and toss with the other ingredients.

6. Penny says:

Looks yummy but what do you do with the peach gastrique? Is it like dressing – mixed in before you compose/plate?

7. That goat cheese in the salad looks to die for! Do you have a favorite brand or do you use whatever is local?

8. Tyler says:

Totally like a dressing Penny. Or a sauce for roasted meat, pork loin, maybe a ribeye… You could even put it on ice cream!

We use Capriole Goat cheese, made in Indiana, and our absolute favorite!

9. Jessa says:

This looks so wonderful! I don’t comment often, but I can’t help but give kudos to Chef Tyler for his accomplished career and philosophy regarding food. Next time we’re in Indianapolis I hope to fit in a visit here.

10. Erica says:

I really wanted to like this salad. It has so many beautiful, fresh summer ingredients, but the addition of cardamom and ginger ruined it for me. It just tasted really misplaced in this basically French recipe. I hated spending so much time on this dish only to throw it away at the end of the night. What a waste. If you’re going to try this recipe I’d recommend skipping the cardamom and ginger at the end.

11. Catherine says:

Made the salad today. I did not have goat cheese so I used feta. I also shamelessly ate the peaches before making the dressing. I used a vanilla vinaigrette dressing instead. Lovely summer meal.