Dream Trip: Morocco

dream_trip_harper_poe

I satisfy my own personal wanderlust by staring at images from Harper Poe’s Instagram feed, which is filled with photos from her adventures in Guatemala, Peru, Niger and of course, Morocco. Harper didn’t grow up traveling, but while in college she spent a semester abroad in Spain and realized that she wanted to connect with people all over the world. That was the moment the travel bug bit. After three years of not leaving the country, she took a trip to Chile and realized that she had to incorporate travel into her work life. Inspired by the indigenous materials in Chile, Harper came home, put her head down and got to work creating Proud Mary, a company that combines a modern design aesthetic with traditional means of production. Harper started in Guatemala and has expanded to Mali, West Africa, Guatemala, Morocco, Peru, and Niger. She usually travels alone but then has a team of people she works with in each country so that she balances time alone with being social and working. Here’s a little peek from her recent trip to Morocco.    -Amy

(P.S. To see more of what Harper finds on her adventures, check out our tour of her Charleston home)

dream_trip_harper_poe_packing

dream_trip_harper_poe_cactus Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset dream_trip_harper_poe_jetlag dream_trip_harper_poe_next

1. What a great life… infused with travel and the ability to see the world!! Now that’s my kind of career.

Kudos on making it work into your life,
    Jenna

2. Casey says:

There’s something for everyone in Morocco! A dream trip indeed. If I had a teleportation device, Morocco would be on its speed dial. And kuddos to Harper Poe for doing such a great job of celebrating and making accessible the traditional arts of these places!

3. Gina says:

I wish there where more photos of the market place. I’ve always been curious what the mark up is in the states for textiles/rugs from Morocco.

4. Emmy says:

Agreed about the textiles- that’s what I’d bring home if I went on a trip to Morocco!!

5. Nina says:

What fun, to go experience Morocco! I’ve always wanted to go. I would have loved to see more pictures of the marketplace as well.

6. kelly rae says:

Morocco is definitely on my list now that we moved to the UK. I want to check out all the shoes and ride a camel haha :)

7. YON SCHECH says:

Incredible! Will be adding this to my already overflowing bucket list…

8. Hakim says:

HI Dear
    Thanks For psoting a great pic of our contry alwys we well be gald to have you back to your second home

Greating From Desert Of Morocco
    Hakim
    MoroccanDesertTrips

9. KATERINA says:

Among my dream trips too!

10. A.D.I.T says:

One of my dreams too! I can just imagine all of the pretty mosaics in the architecture, and the rich texture in their textiles. Would be so inspiring.

11. Kate says:

How does one bring back textile from Morocco? Hand carry? Are local couriers trust-worthy? Heading there for New Year’s this year and would love to bring back some rugs and textile too.

12. emily Sharp says: