Before & After: A Broken-down Bungalow Gets Beautified

beforeafter_bungalow_header

beforeafter_bungalow_form_1

Midcentury suburban bungalows don’t tend to get a whole lot of love from the “design” community, their straightforward and simple forms oftentimes written off as prosaic or commonplace. This is a real shame. Given the right treatment and contextualization, every home style—even the “little boxes” that have dotted the American landscape since the 1920s— has the possibility and potential to be spectacular. Just ask Jenika Kurtz Cuadra, the Los Angeles-based interior designer who recently had the opportunity to completely transform one such home. The home was in relatively poor condition when it was purchased, but Jenika wanted to go past a basic spruce-up—she wanted to restore the home to its former 1940s glory, giving this little diamond in the rough the aesthetic treatment and love that it deserved. The end result is a home that is beautiful and modern while still remaining wonderfully true to its roots. Check out all of the photos, plus Jenika’s design notes, after the jump! —Max

beforeafter_bungalow_form_2

beforeafter_bungalow_before_14 beforeafter_bungalow_before_10 beforeafter_bungalow_before_01 beforeafter_bungalow_before_03 beforeafter_bungalow_before_13 beforeafter_bungalow_before_07 beforeafter_bungalow_before_05 beforeafter_bungalow_before_11 beforeafter_bungalow_before_12 beforeafter_bungalow_before_16

“To finally be a homeowner was a dream come true,” Jenika says, “and to have my dad help us with all of the construction was just unbelievable. He moved into the shack in the back and lived there for the entire length of the project. We all worked ourselves to the bone and enjoyed every minute of it. Friends and family even helped out here and there when they could, our moms would come every weekend. It was a joy to work on this house and the whole thing was such an incredible learning process. I wanted to honor the integrity of the bungalow style so we added architectural elements that may have been there originally back then; the coffered ceiling in the living room, the half-wall-flanked entrance to the dining room, multi-pane windows. My design was inspired by the year the home was built, 1944. I wanted to keep the backgrounds really classic but modernize everything with color and pattern.”

beforeafter_bungalow_form_3

beforeafter_bungalow_process_02 beforeafter_bungalow_process_03 beforeafter_bungalow_process_04 beforeafter_bungalow_process_07 beforeafter_bungalow_process_05 beforeafter_bungalow_process_06

beforeafter_bungalow_form_4

beforeafter_bungalow_after_01

beforeafter_bungalow_after_03 beforeafter_bungalow_after_05 beforeafter_bungalow_after_06 beforeafter_bungalow_after_11  beforeafter_bungalow_after_04 beforeafter_bungalow_after_09 beforeafter_bungalow_after_15 beforeafter_bungalow_after_14 beforeafter_bungalow_after_16 beforeafter_bungalow_after_02 beforeafter_bungalow_after_12 beforeafter_bungalow_after_07 beforeafter_bungalow_after_08

beforeafter_bungalow_form_5

• Living Room Sofa- Room & Board
  • Living Room Coffee Table- CB2
  • Living Room Table Lamps- Home Goods
  • Living Room Pillows- IKEA, Thailand street market, Target
  • Living Room Chair- World Market
  • Living Room Rug- The Natural Carpet Company
  • Dining Room Set- Craigslist (painted by us)
  • Kitchen Rug- World Market

Exterior:

• Main – Bitter Chocolate
  • Doors and Shutters – “Pouring Copper” by Dunn Edwards
  • White Trim – “Polar Bear” by Behr

Flooring:

• Kitchen – Armstrong Vinyl Tile
  1. Beyond spectacular. Inspiring and exquisitely done.

2. @Sara “I will let you down/I will make you hurt” are lyrics from the NIN then Johnny Cash song “Hurt.” Not sure why the homeowners chose it, but it’s a beautiful song and one of the last that Johnny Cash recorded before his death.

As for the house, I’ve seen the interior online before, but never the exterior. I also have a 1940s cottage. I recently painted my house a dark brown with stained wood shutters. When they stain turned out warmer then I had intended, I had to deviate from my originally planned blue door to a hot coral color that worked better with the palette. It’s nice to see someone else use the color scheme, especially so successfully. Beautiful! :)

3. Ella says:

This is so refreshing after seeing so many older houses gutted and given soul-less renovations. Beautiful work.

4. sue says:

the LIVING ROOM HOUSEPLANT is Ficus lyrata, or Fiddle Leaf fFg. Needs very bright indirect (those sheer curtains are great for this) light. Grows in very humid bright jungle regions, though can grow outside along the south coast of California. Less successful over time as a houseplant (air is too dry). More tolerant of drier indoor locations would be Ficus benjamina. Beautiful re-do. Nothin’ like sweat equity to make you proud.

5. pammy says:

Severe drought in California – should not have put in a NEW lawn!

6. Christy says:

Gorgeous! What is the approximate square footage of your kitchen, and what brand cabinets did you use? Your whole house is inspiring!

7. Dajana says:

Mind blowingly good. Congratulations, Jenika! You, your family & friends did such a fantastic job. Love that your dad moved into the shack in the back. That’s dedication (:

P.S. More posts like this one please, Design Sponge.

8. Ainee Beland says:

What is the address so that we can move in? So very lovely.

9. Isabelle says:

I loved everything about this reno except one glaring thing….the black and white window treatments throughout. I thought they detracted from every room.

10. barbara says:

amazing!!!! what color is that hot pink night stand???? perfection!

11. Sherry says:

Beautiful transformation! Would love the wallpaper source…so pretty :)

12. Terresa says:

I see that the outdoor paint color is bitter chocolate, but on my screen it just looks black. I sure hope that it looks more chocolate in person. I have to disagree on some people’s comments on the curtains. I think they work very well in this house, bringing out the homeowner’s sense of style. Obviously they don’t BLEND or MATCH, but they work well. This really is one of the best whole house renovations I’ve seen in a long time. I like their use of color and pattern so much. I too am getting quite tired of the all white makeovers.

13. emilee says:

I love the curtains! DYI instructions, please…

14. kaela d. says:

WOW. I wish I had talented friends and family to help me with my mid century house haha…

15. jenika says:

wow, thanks so much for the kind words everyone! a couple of you had some questions about things so here’s some information for you,
    @megan and @christine- the countertops are absolute black granite, honed.
    @wendy- the bed skirt is custom, made by my best friend’s mom.
    @rebecca and @christy- the cabinets were custom, wanted to be sure everything fit just right.
    @debbie and @emilee- glad you like the curtains! i made them myself without even sewing anything. super easy! just cut the fabric to the size of the window plus 1/2″ longer, staple to a piece of screen molding the same width as the window then tack up with nails. the shape is made by adding a string or ribbon to the center and tying up as high as you like.
    @laura- the work took 5 months to complete but the photos came months later after i had collected the finishing furniture pieces, accessories and artwork.
    @barbara- the pink nighstands are painted in ‘love’s first kiss’ by disney home at home depot.
    @sherry- the powder bath wallpaper is ‘seraphine’ from romo.

16. Sue LC says:

Amazing! I love the warmth, color palette and interesting surprises. (Your front garden is beautiful too.) I just read this quote this morning and it fits the heart and guts you put into your home.

“You open a door and find yourself in a staircase. Do you go up or down? I say up. ” — Paul Graham

17. nj says:

holy hell….amazing!

18. Colby Morton says:

Can you post a tutorial on how to make the curtains??

19. mh says:

Jenika, amazing transformation! One more request…can you give the model number for your fridge? Thanks!

20. Tristan says:

Absolutely beautiful remodel and restoration! It’s SO inspiring to see someone take on a project like this with loving care and respect to the history of the home. Impeccably done! I wish you many years of joy in your home.

21. Hildreth's says:

Wow! This before and after looks stunning!

22. Karen says:

Love it all! But how about Wood Essentials medicine cabinets in the bathrooms? Handmade by my husband in Brooklyn NY :)

23. Yolk Design says:

Amazing transformation of a cute bungalow. So much lighter and brighter on the inside. Wonderful that you had such a great time renovating with your friends and family and love coming home to your new place.

24. Magnolia says:

Gorgeous!! Such a sweet little home. I LOVE the bathroom wallpaper!(and pretty much everything else)

25. Frances says:

Wow, you are a testament of “anything is possible!” I was brought to tears thinking about the love and hard work it took to make this your dream house. Not only have you transformed this house, but I bet the impact on the neighborhood has been just as amazing. Congratulations!

26. Beth says:

I have never seen blinds like that. I would really like to make some for my kitchen. I know you explained them before but I’m a little slow with instructions. Could you go into a little more detail on how you made them? Is there a seam in the middle where the string goes? You should make a blog post!

27. Marilyn says:

What a wonderful job you have done! I was wondering about the wallpaper in the bathroom – could you tell me what it is called and where it is from?

28. shavonda says:

absolutely gorgeous! we close on our little 1950 bungalow at the end of July and I cant wait. You’ve done such an amazing job bringing this home into the light. Well done!!

29. Jo says:

I too love the window treatments! I know you explained how to make them… I keep re-reading it, wondering what I’m missing… How do you tie them up so nicely? And did you hem the sides? I love to use this idea in my house- it’s just gorgeous! Thanks!

30. Shawneen says:

SO RAD.

I have never replied to a blog before now. In fact, I was looking at little Green Notebook and found myself here. While the reno is a marvelous transformation, the REAL reason I am leaving a comment is to compliment your choice of lyrics that you have framed above the commode. I am a big fan and just saw NIN perform at Hollywood Bowl last week.

I like design…and coincidences : )

31. Sarah says:

So gorgeous! I am dying over that Bathroom! Well done guys!

32. Kirstin says:

Wow!!! This transformation is incredible! Thanks for sharing this project, I’m so glad I found your blog :)

33. Mai says:

Wow that is amazing! Just love how you transformed everything, especially the front yard landscaping. What type of plantings did you use? Would appreciate that information.

34. Sarah G says:

It’s absolutely beautiful. I must say, though, I’m so tired of how people (not just here, but in general) talk about the homes they rehab! “Awful!” “Horrible!” “Disgusting!” One day, we’ll all be old people whose homes are dated, or maybe even in disrepair–I hope the young person who inherit our houses are a little kinder in how they describe them.

35. geo says:

Oh WOW!….. I have had a pic of your bathroom for so long, it’s my favorite bath I have ever seen. Could you please tell about the floral
    wallpaper, where to find it… please please. There exterior is also so lovely , so many people are afraid of the strong contrast but it just makes it wonderful. Congrats on your gorgeous home.

36. Jeremy says:

The bungalow renovation result really good. The bathroom and kitchen looks really nice.