10 Beautiful Homes in France

Since our resident ex-pat, Anne Ditmeyer, gave us her insider tour of Paris today, I decided it would be the perfect time to look over some of my favorite French homes, from Paris to the countryside. Whether it’s the beautiful views, gorgeous detailing or their effortlessly chic minimalism, French homes je ne sais quoi.

Click through for all 10 homes after the jump!

go2
go1
Gabriel and Olivier’s Parisian home is one of our team’s all-time favorites. You cannot, simply cannot, beat those floors.

1Isabelle
4Isabelle
French art director, graphic designer and stylist, Isabelle Rivoire-Grange works for clients like Issey Miyake, Kenzo and Narciso Rodriguez from her Parisian home. I love all of the color and her incredible white-washed wooden beam ceilings.

16fabien
1fabien
18fabien
Caroline and Olivier’s home in St. Maurice de Cazevieille includes this incredible cement sink. I’d love to have a double sink, let alone one that looks so cool and textured.

13Valery
1Valery
Designer Valéry Damnon has a beautiful home in Paris that combines Scandinavian details with French style.

3mylittleday
5mylittleday
It’s no surprise that Dorothée Monestier, who runs a French online shop devoted to children’s birthdays, has a home full of adorable details.

12_merrick
13_merrick
Merrick and Alice Angle live in a real-life version of The Secret Garden. Their home is in the village of La Croisille-sur-Briance in the Limousin region of France, a rural area known for its porcelain, enamel and picturesque wooded landscape.

2_myriah
1_myriam2
Myriam Balaÿ-Devidal moved her family to Nimes and basks in the city’s 200 days of sun a year. That weather on top of a pattern-filled home equals some majorly beautiful interior moments.

1_morgane
2_morgane
Morgane Sezalory is the founder and art director of Les Composantes and her home in the 4th arrondissement of Paris is full of color juxtaposed with chic white basics.

treats1
Marieke Berghuis Leewens has the most dramatic and beautiful apartment door in all of Design*Sponge history. Talk about French style.

2387155511_fc9f42eef1_o

2387155323_1b1f81e091_o
Carol from Basic French has not just one but TWO homes in France. Her city home in Lyon is my favorite. I think this peach bedroom photo is my favorite bedroom we’ve ever run.

1. What are those chevron-like wood floors called!? They are amazing!

2. Nina says:

Crazy crazy for that outdoor dining patio and those herringbone floors. Incredible!

3. SWOON. All of them. Amazing.

4. Wow, there is so much inspiration in all of these images. The general feel I get from all of the spaces, is that everything doesn’t exactly have to match but it does work together so well.

5. Anne says:

Love the Acapulco chairs on the outside porch/patio

6. I love the white, bright living space of Morgane’s home, its serene and stylish, with the detail from the mirror and ceiling adding French charm. Also love her green chair, it adds the perfect splash of colour to add dimension to the room. I adore Valery’s alfresco dining area, how relaxed and inviting.

7. Being French, I always wonder what you guys find in our “style”. What I see everyday is a collection of Ikea and bad rentals, but I guess that’s universal right now. As for more designed homes, I find them lacking in warmth. If you look at the pictures above, there’s almost no pattern, very few colors, and as few warm textures as possible. Every time I go to a “chambre d’hôte” (bed and breakfast, very popular here), I’m struck by how generic and cold the rooms feel.

I LOVE what I see going on on the American design scene, here on DS and also on other blogs. You guys have understood that designing your house doesn’t have to involve pretentious signed decor, that a home should reflect its owner’s personality, and that thrifting and DIY are fantastic. Also, that quirky rules.
    My house is filled with American inspiration; I have an Amy Butler wallpaper, thrift finds everywhere, and I recently recovered two mid-century chairs I inherited from my grand-mother. My friends’ reactions went from “why did you bother ? You could have bought 30€ Ikea chairs” to “it’s awesome, I’d never have thought of that !”. I just love them.
    Chair is here if you’re interested :

And the textile / print / stationnery scene here is soooo limited, that except for a few fantastic designers, I mainly shop on Etsy. Thank god for that website ! Spoonflower also is one of the best things I ever found.

Any of you want to trade houses ?

8. Justine says:

I love this authentic look into French style. Too often , an Americanized version of French style is represented a la Pierre Deux, and that’s not how the French actually decorate at all.

1. Grace Bonney says:

justine

i agree. i think french style is often equated with “french country” which, to me, isn’t how most french homes we see are actually decorated. i love the minimal and somewhat austere look a lot of french city homes have. that sort of contrast between modernity and rusticity feels uniquely french to me :)

grace

9. Amélie says:

@GLITTER COATED LENSES : these chevron-like wood floors are called “parquet en point de Hongrie” !

10. Margarita says:

Hahaha! We liv in Germany in a 1900 apt smack in the middle of Frankfurt. In part I agree with Anne-Helene and Justine’s statement BUT having lived in Arizona for the last 3 years, in a cool mid-century ranch, (that most neighbors wanted to “upgrade”) I am really enjoying the high ceilings and wooden floors that are relatively common here (and impossible to find in Phoenix!) I guess a lot of people just do not care about their surroundings enough to develop a beautiful place and some style – wherever they come from!

11. Vikram says:

Very beautiful and creative designs, That house with full of greenery seems to be a dream house for me, i always like to spend time in natural beauty and when own house is full of greenery then what can be expat more.