Modern, but not cold in New York

Design*Sponge Sneak Peek
A Peace Treaty is one of my favorite online shops (Caftans, yes please!) – I love their mission of creating employment for artisans around the world. So I jumped at the chance to peek into the Chinatown home of co-founder Dana Arbib. When Dana found the apartment a little over a year ago, she enlisted the help of Lauren Stern Design to assist in making the most of amazing light in this apartment. Because the space was so light and bright, Dana took it as an opportunity to seriously declutter, in order to make her home feel like a mini vacation from the color and patterns that she is surrounded by at work. They created a space that feels modern yet handmade – just like what Dana does with A Peace Treaty. –Amy

Photography by Maxwell Tielman
Shoot styling by Designer Attaché

Image above: “ALL WHITE EVERYTHING,” Dana says. “My cousin Hila is studying fashion in Barcelona and I begged her to go pick up these wall weavings from an artist there named Belen Senra (Ran Ran Designs). She had to bring them to NYC in her suitcase for me. That’s what family is for!”

Design*Sponge Sneak Peek

Image above: “My family is addicted to auctions in Canada where there are a lot of good, cheap antiques available. I purchased this dining table for $300 at an auction there and a father/son team drove it all the way to NYC! It weighs 1,000 pounds but I love it.”

See more of this New York home after the jump!

Design*Sponge Sneak Peek

Image above: “My hallway is my own mini gallery.”

dana_arbib_16Image above: “A full video of the living room with anchored with an  Andrew Coslow coffee table.”
Sneak Peek Design*Sponge

Image above: “I HEART my Miffy night light. The wall unit was designed by Lauren Stern. I grew up with the same Breuer chair and I’m very nostalgic, so I had to find a vintage one for my place.”

Image above: “The top left painting is a work from my good friend, Brooklyn-based artist Leon Benn. This is one of the few pieces of art I have purchased in my life. I like art that takes me to a relaxing place in my mind. What is more relaxing than a remote island? The top right is a hand-embroidered tapestry designed by me, made for A Peace Treaty in Kabul, Afghanistan. It is handmade by widowed Afghani women. It is part of a triptych. The large piece on the bench is from an Israeli artist named Michael Argov. I grew up with this piece, and have two more pieces of his. The white blackberry on the bench is a piece by artist Daniel Arsham that I won at a party held by Galerie Perrotin. The framed picture is a textile-covered trailer which sits in Marfa, Texas.”

Design*Sponge Sneak Peek

Image above: “A hand-embroidered tapestry designed by me, made for A Peace Treaty in Kabul, Afghanistan. It is handmade by widowed Afghani women. This piece took a week to make. We had to ship in the fabric from Pakistan to Afghanistan via Dubai. This was a very difficult project logistically. Through this project, women and their children throughout Kabul were able to gain security, independence, literacy and livable wages.”

Design*Sponge Sneak Peek

Image above: “Ah, this is where I store all the A Peace Treaty scarf archives. I have probably 150-200 scarves.”

1. Beautiful home. I love the ceilings

2. Dina Michael says:

What a gorgeous space! So much light and so many pretty things.

3. Carmen says:

Love the white theme throughout. Totally brightens up each room. :]

4. Vika says:

SO amazing. May I ask for a source of the rug in front of the bench?

5. Gabi Hutchison says:

Absolutely stunning. I can’t pick a favorite room because I love them all so much. My husband and I are moving into a new space soon and this has given me lots of ideas :)

6. Nina says:

Love this space! The dining chairs are wonderful! Where are they from?

7. Lauren Stern says:

The hallway area rug is from Niba and the dining chairs are Blu Dot.

8. B says:

Where is the nightstand from?!! I must have it!

9. Lauren Stern says:

Nightstand is also Blu Dot!

10. What a beautiful space, so light and airy – and I’m a sucker for a painted brick wall!

11. Rita TOCTA says:

When can I move in? :) There are a lot of houses in DS that I love but I couldn’t live there…I love the style of this space, the title is super appropriated, really modern but not cold at all. Just a wonderful place, congratulations!

12. Rita Marie says:

That night light!!! I need. Also, I will be taking a photo of that textile covered trailer when my husband and I head to El Cosmico in September.

13. laura says:

im Canadian….where are these great antique sales you’re referring to?

1. Dana arbib says:

In the outskirts of Toronto!

14. Lien says:

Hello! Can you tell me what’s the brand of the chairs? Maybe I can find them in Europe?

15. That tapestry is so stunning–beautiful design and execution!