Design*Sponge Social Media Workshop: June 19th!

This summer marks the 10th anniversary of Design*Sponge. When I started this site I would have never dreamed of caring so much about the business end of things, but 10 years later, running a successful business that is able to support the people I care about and respect so much is the thing about which I’m proudest.

In the past decade we’ve seen the economy take a massive hit, the online ad market follow suit and internet readers change their web usage habits in a major way. These things combined would be enough to make any business shaky, but I am so grateful that I was advised early on to run a conservative business, think long-term and embrace change. That last point is something that has been on the top of my mind for a while now and has been the subject of this entire season of my weekly radio show. It’s also been the key to keeping Design*Sponge not only surviving, but thriving. Without investing in social media and putting so much time, thought and care into those platforms, we’d have a hard time maintaining our footing in today’s online world.

Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest have become not only places to find inspiration for us, but keys to our long-term success. A strong social media platform can help any business or blog build an audience, grow their customer or client base, make career-changing connections and collaborations and expand their voice to more people on a broader scale than ever before.

After years of researching, defining and refining my methods for managing social media, I feel ready and excited to start teaching these techniques to other bloggers, business owners and creatives who are looking to not only understand social media, but master it in a way that allows them to grow their business and take it to the next level.

So starting this month, I’m going to be teaching a series of social media-related classes at our new home base, Makeshift Brooklyn. I can’t think of anything that would make me happier than to teach the trusted methods and techniques we’ve been using to create our social media platform of nearly one million daily readers (907K, to be exact).

These will be small, intensive workshops of 20 people where we will have time for individual attention and questions as well as two jam-packed hours of tested and trusted information, tips, techniques and research methods that I’ve been using at Design*Sponge for years. I promise you will walk away inspired, excited and prepared to not just take on your social media channels, but to take them to a much higher level.

The first course’s information is below, but to be added to our mailing list for future classes (social media and beyond), sign up here. There will also be a waiting list for this class if spots open up, so be sure to leave your name and email in the form if the spots are full. I can’t wait to get started! xo, grace

Design*Sponge Social Media Workshop
Date: June 19th, 2014
Time: 7 pm- 9:30 pm
Place: Makeshift Society Brooklyn (55 Hope Street, Brooklyn, NY 11211)
Tickets: $150 (Purchase your ticket HERE)

This two-hour course will cover Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest. We’ll cover topics like these as well as much more:

-How to discover what your community wants from you
-Do’s and don’ts for each platform
-Photography tips, apps and filters
-Finding the style and voice that’s right for you
-Hashtag and promotion Ideas
-Q&A and feedback for individual ideas (in our 20-person class size)

If you’re struggling with or curious about how you can use social media to grow your business or blog and become a more prominent member of your community, this workshop will give you the tools to do just that.

1. This makes me wish I lived closer. I would love to take this course it sounds fantastic! Maybe someday you’ll be able to do an online version…I know it wouldn’t be the same as in person, but I’d love to take it.

2. Drat! Super bummed I don’t live in the US. Celebrating my two yr blog birthday this week and want to seriously pick up momentum. My main issues are with Instagram and consistency in posting when you have a full time job!! Good luck with the workshops!

3. Kat Gordon says:

Wishing I could Skype in!

1. Grace Bonney says:

Kat

Stay tuned- online versions are coming soon :)

Grace

4. Jennifer says:

Will you offer something online? I also would be interested in knowing/planning/how-tos on creating content, finding content, getting the proper permission to share content. Also, I would like a class covering the legal ramifications of social media and curating contnet created by others.

1. Grace Bonney says:

Hi Jennifer

This will be covered in my course, but I will most likely turn this into a web course soon, so please sign up for the newsletter to be alerted to any new courses coming up :)

Grace

1. Grace Bonney says:

Lana

That’s an interesting article. My experience has been quite different than the authors’. I’ve both grown a business and written a print (and e-book version) book and have seen, first hand, the benefit and necessity of social media.

Plain and simple, the author’s stats on social pickup (4% from Facebook) is pretty terrible. That’s not a failure of social media, that’s a failure of the author to implement a plan that works. I’ve got experience building a plan that works and executing it and now 25% of our traffic (at least half a million people) come via social media.

It’s easy to malign social media and social media courses as a quick-fix problem or soon-to-burst bubble, but stats don’t lie. Publishers wouldn’t be moving to e-formats and big companies like Target wouldn’t be hiring social media stars (like Joy Cho) to design collections if social media wasn’t the way things were working these days. Just look to Seth Godin’s blog and book. He chose to self-publish and use the internet to promote and he’s one of the most successful writers around right now (who isn’t a Hollywood celebrity).

Whether or not you think social media is the end all be all (and I don’t think it necessarily is), it’s impossible to refute that it is a powerful and valuable tool to have in your arsenal- if you know how to use it well. Nothing automatically leads to sales or traffic or greater audience exposure unless you use it well- and most people aren’t. I feel confident I know how to and am excited to teach others how to as well.

Grace

5. Lana says:

Yes, I thought you might find it interesting. The comments were also nice to read, not everybody agreed with the author for similar reasons you mention.
    Personally I feel that the success of social media is just a part of the total package. What you have to offer needs to be really good, wanted by many, a bit like Designsponge. If the first parts are good, social media will enhance that.
    I think it’s great that you’re teaching people how to work with social media. It’s a piece of the puzzle :).

6. Margo says:

Will there be an online option to take this class?

7. Dani says:

Hi! Will you have other classes in NY? Any up & coming dates? I’d love to attend. Thank you.

1. Grace Bonney says:

hi dani!

i might do another in august, stay tuned :)

grace