5 Brazilian Desserts for the World Cup

passion+12
Yesterday the World Cup kicked off with Brazil vs. Croatia, and for the next month it’s soccer, soccer, soccer. I’ve never been a huge soccer fan (If you’re like me, you can get the 411 from Slate), but I love watching sports on TV. I grew up watching the Bulls from my living room in Arkansas (the Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen team), going to Super Bowl parties, and Thanksgiving with my extended family always involves some sort of football (American) betting pool.  The best part about sports watching –  other than the yelling at the TV – is the food and drinks. And since the World Cup is an international sporting event, there are many, many opportunities for country-themed game food. But we do have quite the sweet tooth here on Design*Sponge, so I rounded up some of the tastiest looking sweet treats on the web, so that no matter who wins the game, you can end the night on a high note! -Amy

Image above: Passion fruit mousse known as Mousse de Maracuja made by food blogger Sukaina of Sips and Spoonfuls.

DSC_0024
Image above: A Brazilian food blogger with a PhD in Chemistry, Luciana Borges makes the most beautiful sweet treats. This is a  Brazil nut sponge cake layered with baba de moça filling and covered with meringue frosting. Baba de moça is a traditional Brazilian recipe for a sweet cream.

See more Brazilian desserts after the jump!

Brazilian-carrot-cake2y
Image above: Brazilian food blogger Patricia Scarpin shared her mother’s Carrot Cake recipe with us. It’s carrot cake with a chocolate twist, and it is very good. A must-make for your next afternoon tea.

GA9A1722
Image above: After a trip to Brazil, Gaby from What’s Gaby Cooking posted this recipe for brigadeiro, a traditional chocolate bonbon that only requires three ingredients.

papaya+rolls+1
Image above: Food blogger Tiffany of A Clove of Garlic, a Pinch of Salt is originally from California, but her husband is from Brazil, so she injects a lot of Brazilian flavor into her cooking. This is a recipe for Rolinhos de Mamão Verde -Papaya Rolls Compote.

1. Love the passion fruit! Yummmmm gotta make those this weekend!

2. Adena Leigh says:

I was lucky enough to visit Brazil last summer, and even luckier to have had a wonderful home cooked meal! Believe it or not, they served avocado ice cream for dessert. It was di-vine!!

Here’s the recipe: http://www.adenaleigh.com/avocado-ice-cream-in-chocolate-dipped-cones/

3. Meagan says:

Forget desert, have some pao de queijo!!

4. Nina says:

Beautiful desserts! That last one, the Papaya Roll Compote is gorgeous! Not only does it looks tasty, but, what a presentation!!

5. Lucia Vils says:

This is amazing! I’m brazilian and it’s so cool to see some of our traditional recipes here!
    They are delicious, my favorites are “brigadeiro” and “mousse de maracujá”. Worth a try!

6. Carol Grilo says:

Delicious post about my country! :) Awesome!

7. Helena T. says:

For sure the best deserts in the world !! I am brazilian, and everybody should try brigadeiro at least once in life !!

8. Marcella says:

Hahaha, it’s so funny to read these comments about our stuff here in Brazil!
    Put one more thing in your lists: goiabada.
    XOXO

9. Luiza says:

I loved this post, and as a brazilian, I can tell these surely are our most traditional desserts! Bolo de aipim (manioc cake) is a great recipe too!