Before & After: Damaged Nesting Tables Get a Colorful Fix

Choosing clothing for a child is a conundrum many parents face. On one hand, you don’t want to dress your child in rags. On the other, spending gobs of cash on garments they’re just going to grow out of in two days seems needlessly wasteful. The same goes for decorating a child’s room—you want something that is functional and useful, something that will stimulate the senses and allow for play… but you also don’t want to break the bank on something that will be subject to the ever-changing tastes of a growing child. This is why, in all matters kids, sometimes it is best to go the reused and recycled route—especially if you’re feelin’ crafty! This is the philosophy that Linda Fährlin of the Scandinavian Design Studio, Super Trooper, used when she transformed a broken-down set of nesting tables for her son’s room. Picked up for a relative song from a local thrift shop, Linda lovingly repaired and painted them, giving them a bright, colorful new life. Check out all of the photos, plus Linda’s design notes after the jump! —Max

ba_nestingtable_form_2 ba_nestingtable_2

“When I spotted the little nesting table at the local op-shop I really liked the design of it,” Linda says. “There is something about vintage furniture that really resonates with me and it’s like old pieces that have a little more personality and a story to tell. Because the tables were damaged, I decided to go for paint. Having a preference for bright, light furniture and interiors, I decided to go for white as a base. I looked at my son’s toys and saw they were all different colors, so I decided to paint each leg on the tables in a different color. The polka candy cane stripes reminds me of winters spent growing up in Sweden, visiting the Christmas market and looking at all the candy canes in the Christmas stalls.
“I was looking to create a happy and friendly corner for creativity, tea parties and LEGO building, having a minimal budget and minimal space. Something unique that would be a special place for kids. Since kids’ rooms are quite busy visually anyway, I wanted the corner to be fun looking at but not too overpowering as there are so many bright toys and things in kids’ rooms.”

ba_nestingtable_form_3 ba_nestingtable_7  ba_nestingtable_3 ba_nestingtable_4

ba_nestingtable_8 ba_nestingtable_9 ba_nestingtable_10 ba_nestingtable_11 ba_nestingtable_form_4

“The project felt achievable and could easily be done over a weekend or at night. I’m happy the way the table works together with the little IKEA drawers and I think I’ll use the spare paint for detailing in the kids’ room. You could save money by just using one colour for the legs or even use paper or washi tape instead of paint.”

ba_nestingtable_12 ba_nestingtable_form_6

1. Angela Z. says:

Where is the little cube of drawers from please?

2. Chantele says:

Love these, would be so good in a kids room!

3. Linda says:

Angela Z, I purchased the little drawers are from IKEA. They come in different sizes, and we just painted them white and added the colour to tie it together with the table legs :)
    Linda x

4. Jen says:

so cute!

5. That project turned out so cute. I’m going to show this to my neighbor, we’ve been getting secondhand pieces for her new nursery and this paint job is cute not to share for inspiration!

6. Tiffany says:

Very pretty! Those turned out really nice!

7. Carly says:

I love the striped legs! I’m planning on doing up my dining table this weekend, and the stripes have definitely given me something to consider!

Thanks for sharing :)

8. How gorgeous! It looks so great the way it’s styled too.

9. Enrica says:

What a great idea!

10. Michelle says:

It looks awesome! Nice job :)

11. Lauranne says:

What a brilliant idea!!

12. Rebecca\ says:

i freaking love this. so cute.

13. Brigitte says:

Came to this website through another dutch website where this photo was posted. I really like the posters, where can you buy them?

14. GENEVIEVE says:

Yes! I would also love to know where you found the prints hanging on the wall!
    Please tell us where we can find them. Love your style! :)