After the Jump: The Story of an Iconic NYC Store’s Makeover

If you live in New York City or are a fan of traditional deli counters (“appetizing counter” is the proper term, as I’ve learned), you’ve heard of Russ & Daughters. This incredible 100 year-old family company is in it’s fourth generation of ownership and is known across the country for its incredible smoked fish, caviar and specialty foods. Julia and I happened to be on the Lower East Side of Manhattan a few weeks ago and we popped inside to grab breakfast supplies and check out their brand new Russ & Daughters Cafe. In addition to being blown away by how incredible all of the food looked, I had a major design geek moment and couldn’t stop staring at the incredible packaging, branding and labels.

As part of the launch of the their new cafe, Russ & Daughters got a modern (but not too modern) makeover that included gorgeous new menus, a return to their original bags from 50 years ago (thanks to Calvin Trillin) and beautiful DIY-inspired decorative flourishes like wallpaper patterns made with sesame seeds and “take a number” tickets from the appetizing counter. I had to learn more about this incredible project, so for this week’s radio show I devoted the entire episode to the women behind this branding update project, Jen Snow, Director of Media and PR at Russ & Daughters, and designer/artist Kelli Anderson. I’ve been a fan of Kelli’s work for a while now (we featured her home on DS a few years ago) so to find out she was the creative force behind this was a wonderful colliding-of-worlds moment.

The story of how such an iconic brand with 100 years of history finds a way to get a makeover without losing the heart and soul of the store is fascinating. Jen’s dedication to research, archival history and the nostalgia of the shop combined with Kelli’s incredible talent and creative thinking lead to one of the most thoughtful and clever updates I’ve seen on a brand in a long, long time. A huge virtual high five to this talented duo for such a beautiful project and thank you to both of them for joining me on-air this week to tell the story of how they did it. xo, grace

*Photos courtesy of Kelli Anderson and Russ & Daughters.

More images from the project continue after the jump below…

1. Sandra says:

A wonderful interview for so many reasons – a 100 year old business that shares my own heritage in a city that I adore that also incorporates a thoughtful, fresh branding update.

Hitting it out of the ballpark…

2. Deirdre says:

I love the productivity podcasts, and was surprised to enjoy this show on Russ & Daughters so much. Thrilled to come here and see the wallpaper described in the show. Others might enjoy yesterday’s piece on Calvin Trilling’s recent stop at Russ &Daughters:

3. Alice says:

I really like this rebrand, and loved listening to Kelli and Jen talk about the project. It all looks great, and makes me miss New York.

But am I the only one who thinks the ticket number wallpaper looks a bit like packs of birth control? I mean that in the best way possible.

4. Sheldon says:

It’s no small feat to refresh a treasured brand like this, and the makeover feels novel and elegant in a way I’ve not thought of Russ & Daughters before. Kudos to all involved — to Kelli, to Jen, and to R&D’s next generation who saw the opportunity and delivered what will be one of the year’s most memorable hospitality rebrands come year end. I have a feeling the design ROI will be immediate and lasting. Job well done.

5. Jessica says:

wow, very nice. a beautiful, relevant and authentic update.

6. Malin Elmlid says:

Very impressive. It is a large challenge to take on the task to modernize an old and treasured brand like R&D. Most of the times it happens I feel only sadness over the loss. But this I very well done. And since R&D is one of my long time favorites in NYC; Thank you!

7. emily says:

i just adored this episode. grace, you’re better and better at fishing out the best in people during their interviews, and i just think the whole episode was so smart. and, this redesign is so gorgeous…it’s a must see next time I visit NYC. love, love the custom wallpaper idea!

1. Grace Bonney says: