It’s with a bit of a somber feeling that we sign off this weekend. We have lost two incredible people in the design and arts community this week—the graphic design legend Massimo Vignelli and the incomparable literary force Maya Angelou. Both of these utterly unique individuals blazed trails and changed the world in their own ways and this weekend, we will be remembering them, their wonderful visions and their extraordinary talents. Their contributions are limitless and impossible to quantify, but we’ve selected two films available to watch on Netflix that help to illuminate just some of their accomplishments. The first is Down In The Delta, the Academy Award nominated 1998 film that Angelou directed. The second is the 2007 documentary Helvetica, an in-depth look at the iconic typeface that Massimo Vignelli helped to popularize. You can watch the trailers for both films after the jump. Maya and Massimo—you will live on in our hearts, minds, and lives for years to come. —Max
Some of our favorite links from this week:
- Farmer and florist Molly Culver has a great Pinterest board with flowers organized by season. Super handy for shopping and wedding planning.
- Life inside a 129-square-foot apartment. And you thought your space was small.
- Laverne Cox is on the cover of TIME Magazine and we couldn’t be happier about it.
- Dog Language. ‘Nuf said.
- We love this story about daughters wearing their mother’s clothes.
- This photo essay of early Apple Computer prototypes is both fascinating and beautiful. Pastel colored tablets? YES.
- PolicyMic counts down the top 15 cities for creatives…that aren’t New York or Los Angeles.
- These restored Walter Gropius houses are stunning.
- This wooden sushi block for kids is so adorable that we might need one for ourselves.
Below is a summary of this week’s highlights:
- Must Read: A Sneak Peek of Our New Digs: Makeshift Society Brooklyn
- Design Week Recap: It’s Summertime at The National Stationery Show, Max’s Stationery Favorites
- After the Jump: LMNOP Branding + Creative Studio
- A Day In The Life: Zio and Sons
- Biz Ladies: Trademarks 101
- In the Kitchen With: Justin Gellatly’s Doughnuts
- Before and After: A Broken Chair Gets Refurbished and Rejuvenated
- Design Icon: Carlton Cabinet
- Sneak Peeks: Bright & Cheerful in San Diego, A True Cabinet of Curiosities in Canada, The Dar Seffarine Guesthouse of Morocco
- DIY Projects: A Simple Hanging Succulent Garden, Upgraded Ikea Kitchenette
- Wise Words: Massimo Vignelli