Twigg’s Bindery

After 10 years of covering the National Stationery Show, few booths have ever jumped out at me the way Twigg’s Bindery did this year. Max and I split up trade show duties this year and when I went back to cover the rows left on our list, I was thrilled to find that mine included the incredibly talented designer, Jonna Twigg.

Despite some truly outstanding work at this year’s show, it can be tough to find something that feels new, fresh and different. But Jonna’s work at the NSS was a breath of fresh air. With its rows and rows of colorful hand-stitching, the Twigg’s Bindery booth made me stop in my tracks and immediately ask a slew of questions. I learned that not only was Jonna a fellow Brooklynite, but she also works with leading museum conservators as a paper preparator housing collections and preserving paper-based objects for major exhibits around the world. She originally began her business as a custom order-only company for local artists and galleries, but she has now expanded to sell a range of leather and fabric books and journals that have patented patterned sewing on the spines, made with hand-dipped wax embroidery floss. It made me smile to see how happy and passionate her friend and booth-mate was describing the process of creating their own wax embroidery floss (so they would have a wide range of colors to work with). That sort of excitement about the work you’re doing is infectious and made me want to grab stack of Jonna’s books to sit down on the floor with and examine for hours.

I’m going to do a more in-depth interview with Jonna on Design*Sponge soon, but for today I wanted to highlight her incredible work and celebrate the way she’s bringing some fresh energy and life into the bookbinding community and thank her for making this year’s NSS so exciting. You can check out Twigg’s Bindery online right here. xo, grace

Click through to see more of Jonna’s work after the jump!

1. Pooja says:

Love! That is all. I wish I had a more insightful comment, but these photographs made me gasp! Does she need an assistant ;)?

2. stephanie says:

Amazing binding work

3. Tracey says:

These are gorgeous!

4. Interioridea says:

Love all the colors!! They’re all perfectly match!

5. Beautiful Jonna! So happy to see you here :)

6. maggie says:

These are so stunning! I need one of those leather journals in my life.

7. lorena says:

I had the exact same experience of stopping in my tracks! I was amazed by her line and made sure to get her card. So lovely and cool.

8. Susan says:

Wow. This is so cool! I love that a basic idea can be taken so far, in the right hands.

9. Joy says:

Beautiful! …every single one of them

10. Risoleta says: