DIY Bed Canopy

DIY Canopy Bed by Megan Pflug of One Kings Lane for Design*Sponge | Photos by Lelsley Unruh
Are you missing a headboard? Look no further than this sweet summertime refresher: a simple overhang canopy constructed with just a length of fabric and two curtain rods. I made this canopy for my friend Eileen in just one afternoon. Keep reading for my step-by-step guide to this glamorous and easy project, and be sure to check out my Weekend Decorator column on the One Kings Lane Style Blog for even more fun ideas! —Megan

Photography by Lesley Unruh

Click through for the full how-to after the jump!

Here’s What You’ll Need:
-Fabric that spans the width of bed and the length of the bed to the ceiling plus 5 feet
-2 adjustable curtain rods (wide enough to span the width of your bed)
-2 ceiling-mounted curtain hardware brackets
-2 wall-mounted curtain hardware brackets
-Anchors and screws appropriate to your ceiling/wall type

Find Your Fabric

Any fabric can work for this project, but one that looks the same on both sides is the easiest to execute. If you find a fabric that you love that isn’t double-sided or you’re looking to add some visual contrast, you can do what I did and back your “headboard” fabric with a complementary solid fabric. Just make sure the two pieces are the same size, and either sew the panels together or use fusible tape to connect them. To give the fabric a finished look, I adorned the edges with a black-and-gray ribbon border using fabric glue (but fusible tape would work too).

To create the canopy effect and hold the draped fabric in place when it’s hung, I sewed a channel for the ceiling-mounted curtain rod 18 inches from the fabric’s edge.

Hang the Rods

To ensure I hung my curtain rods evenly, I followed the two sides of the bed up to the ceiling and marked those two points where the ceiling met the wall. For each of those two points, I measured and marked 18 inches out from the wall on the ceiling, and then down 18 inches from the ceiling on the wall. Once the positions were marked, I attached all four brackets according the manufacturer’s instructions.

Tip: Make sure to position the brackets so that they are a little wider than the width of your canopy to accommodate the bracket hardware.

Once the brackets are in place, slide your canopy onto a curtain rod, and attach the rod to the ceiling brackets. Next, place the other curtain rod in the wall hardware and drape the length of the fabric behind it.

That’s it! Isn’t it amazing what you can do with a little fabric and two curtain rods?

DIY Headboard by Megan Pflug of One Kings Lane for Design*Sponge | Photos by Lelsley Unruh
Want another quick canopy idea? Head over to the One Kings Lane Style Blog to see how to turn any bed into a canopy bed!

Photography: Lesley Unruh

1. I would love to do that!! So beautiful!

2. Maggie says:

Ah! So cute! I am moving in August and doing this to my new bed as soon as I get in there!

3. Eliza says:

I love this tutorial! The first canopy is so unique, but it still looks classic. I never would have thought of this shape. This is one of those rare DIYs that seems doable with a custom/expensive-looking end result: win-win! Thanks for the inspiration!

4. Casey says:

What a great project! I love how polished it looks.

5. Lian says:

I was thinking of doing this exact thing, and was wondering how to execute it properly- thanks, Design*Sponge! I have my eye on a heavy muslin with a chain of tiny light mounted on the wall behind. Sweet dreams…

6. Monnaie says:

Thanks for your instructions, I am also to do something like this!

7. Ramona says:

lovely! now I need to find a room where I can try this.

8. Trinitee says:

I love this, especially the fabric. Can you share where you purchased it?

1. Ronnie says:

what fabric is this? and where did you find it??!

9. Jasmine says:

:). This is happening.

10. Andrea says:

Hi! I didn’t quite understand the measurement. If I have an 8′ wall how much more do I need in material? I am figuring there is a front and back but I need to know how much more to add? Wouldn’t it just be the 18″ twice?