Bright & Cheerful in San Diego

1Heidi
Like most creative people, Heidi Andrews juggles a lot of different activities. Together with her twin sister, she runs True Birds, a Los Angeles-based jewelry company. She’s also the co-author of a children’s book series and mother to little Capri. Three years ago, Heidi and husband Paul started house hunting for a space that they could grow into.  Paul is 6’6 and Heidi is 6′, so vaulted ceilings and an open floor plan were a must. And when Heidi turned her creative eye toward decorating the space, she knew she wanted the family’s San Diego home to feel bright and colorful. The home is filled with DIY touches, such as the living room drapes that she made and stenciled. The project took far longer than she anticipated and the lines were a little blurred and far from perfect. But in the end, it was just the look she was going for! Thanks, Heidi, Paul and Capri! -Amy

Photography: Blackbird Ink Photography

Image above: My living room is the place I go to when I need a moment of peace. I found the floral oil painting on Craigslist and used the colors in the painting to pull the room together. I went with a bold, blue accent wall to break up the space. The mini grand piano was also found on Craigslist. The Ikat wingback chair is vintage and was in perfect condition when I found it. The textile on the wingback chair is from Caitlin Wilson Design. The industrial coffee table is from World Market and the aztec style rug was purchased from West Elm.

2Heidi
Image above: I wanted to make the master bedroom light and bright. I believe that I was able to achieve this look by using a white base on my walls and incorporating bright and happy pops of color. My favorite furnishing in the room is the swinging egg chair which I found on Craigslist, Capri hops on and swings delightfully. Smiles and laughter are a direct result from this chair.

handwriting

See more photos of this San Diego home after the jump!

3Heidi
Image above: This is our most used space in the house. The objects in the wall arrangement were found as I was thrifting in Italy. It is a combination of vintage prints from Italy and vintage sifters that bring an eclectic touch to the mix. I was so excited when I found the sofa on Craigslist as I have always dreamed of having a purple velvet sofa. The pouf was given to me by my grandparents who picked it up in Morocco on their travels in the ’70s. The textiles on the sofa are from Caitlin Wilson Design. The military locker/library card catalog (found on Craigslist) helps keep this space clean as I use it to organize toys and diapers.

4Heidi
Image above: The pipe shelf is my favorite feature of this room. The wall was empty when we moved in, my husband and friend came up with the great idea of building this shelf. I love accessories and the shelf gives me a perfect way to display them. The horse head was found at HomeGoods. I found the antler in a pile at our family ranch and decided it needed a new home. The two vases were found at a local thrift shop.

5Heidi
Image above: I was beyond excited when I found this original oil painting on Craigslist. It has so much life, which reflects the mood of this space on a daily basis – lots of action and movement. I found the mid-century steel chairs on Craigslist and was thrilled that they were in great condition and the upholstery was in my favorite color, teal. The pillows are once again from Caitlin Wilson Design, her textiles really are amazing. The rug was from RugsUSA.

6Heidi
Image above: This is the entry to our house. The library card catalog was found on Craigslist at an old church; when I came home I loved sifting through the old book index cards. The drawers are so functional and keep everything in its place, anything from pens to pacifiers can be found here. The mirror was found at House Vintage in Solana Beach.

7Heidi
Image above: I found the industrial ‘F’ in a LA thrift garage. The bust was purchased at Urban Outfitters, the porthole mirror necklace she is wearing is from True Birds, my jewelry company.

8Heidi
Image above: The light in this room makes me want to stay here forever. For the greater part of the day, light is always filtering through, which makes the space feel light and airy. I extended the drapes to the ceiling to help raise the eye and give more interest to the room. I used a stencil to make the drapes and while it was at times tedious, I was thrilled with the turnout. The couch is in its original vintage form. The textiles are from Caitlin Wilson Design.

9Heidi
Image above: The big industrial ‘A’ was a great find from a vintage shop called Urban Barn, the sunburst mirror gives great dimension to the space.

10Heidi
Image above: The unique pottery was made by my dear friend Matt Green, the pottery has a raw yet finished look – he is truly gifted.

11Heidi
Image above: I love the symmetry of the dining room and the pop of color from the ottoman. The sunburst mirror blends into the room and helps tie everything together.

12Heidi
Image above: Having a white kitchen really creates a calm atmosphere, which is important since I spend a great deal of time here. The gold metallic dots break up the white and add a surprise to the room.

13Heidi
Image above: I love blue dishes, something about blue always makes me feel refreshed and clean. The blue goblets were given to me as a wedding present and the dishes are from Target.

14Heidi
Image above: My favorite thing about my bed is the fuchsia bedspread from Anthropologie, the weight and detail are so beautiful. I also like the contrast the rug from Ikea brings into the room. The pillows were purchased from HomeGoods.

15Heidi
Image above: Capri’s play area, I love to see her make believe and jibber jabber to herself throughout the day. The play kitchen is made from KidKraft.

16Heidi
Image above: Capri’s nursery wall; the gold ‘C’ was found in a little shop at Picadilly Square in London. The baby picture on the wall was Capri’s birth announcement.

17heidi
Image above: Capri’s play area; I love the small dollhouse – a treasure I found on Craigslist and repainted myself. The library card catalog was found on Craigslist, the vintage carriage was purchased in Solana beach at House Vintage.

18Heidi
Image above: I love having special moments with Capri every day. I found this vintage rocking horse on Craigslist and love the detail that went into this cherished toy.

19heidi
Image above: The lace tent was a DIY project, and it stays up full time. Capri clearly enjoys the tent and I love the fact that I can crawl in there with her and read stories or just play.

20Heidi
Image above: To have the option to work at home and play with Capri…there is nothing better, although it is not easy at times. It just takes one smile and I melt. There is no place I would rather be. Such a huge blessing to be able to work from home.

1. Absolutely love this place, love all the colour – that blue wall is gorgeous. And the card catalogues! I also love the gold circles on the kitchen wall (wouldn’t have thought that would be my kind of thing) and I am totally stealing your label design for those magnetic spice tins on the side of your fridge (I also have some on the side of my fridge but the labels are a constant source of aesthetic frustration)

2. Ashley Johnson says:

Capri is a lucky girl!

3. Taylor says:

Perfectly gorgeous home! In love with the velvet furniture!

xoxo
    Taylor

4. Not my usual style but this is a beautiful home! I especially love the room with the white piano and the green vintage love seat. Great post!

Style Domicile

5. alejandra says:

where is that gorgeous wreath from??!!

6. Tira says:

Heidi! I love it! And I love you! Though I am jealous of your craigslisting skillz!!

7. Conni J says:

Loving the design elements and beautiful color combinations! wonderful!

8. andy says:

Oh my, I love the drapes; where did the stencil come from?

9. Melanie says:

Love it all but particularly those clever shelves and the gorgeous rug. We used to have wallpaper in a similar pattern and I adored it….

10. Joe Garofalo says:

The staff was delightful. I love all the designs. It looks elegant in its simple way. Looks so unique.

11. emily says:

gorgeous details..this girl is amazing at craigslist. though, i used to live in san diego and they do have the BEST craigslist finds. such a happy home!

12. Monnaie says:

Beautiful home interior designing and decoration! like the interior furnishing too! Lovely tour thanks!

13. Ashley says:

Okay, I live in San Diego and I have NEVER found anything awesome on Craigslist let alone two amazing card catalogs. Amazing! Love everything in this spread.

14. Joanne says:

One of my favourite Sneak Peeks ever! Love the electric blues and the aquas, the lace play tent and the gold dots in the kitchen. Stunning :)

15. Tessa says:

The colours are delicious, like sumptuous jewels popping up everywhere. But my absolute favourite is the blue wall.

16. enrica says:

Such a beautiful and colorful house. I bet it is a wonderful place to relax and enjoy spare time with your family and friends.

17. georgia says:

can i move in? this is a happy house.

18. Elsie says:

I enjoyed seeing this space! Craigslist is one of my favorite places to find furniture and project supplies. Did you get the gold polka dot decals from Urban Walls?

19. Holly says:

Love this happy home.
    Envious of your craiglisting skills/finds!

20. Cindy says:

So lovely! Would you be so kind to share the detail of the blue on the walls?

21. Sarah Heat says:

I love your home. Thanks for sharing it with us- I wish that I could just move in! Please come and decorate my home in exactly the same way, post haste!

Also, I’m going to be annoying and ask for the blue color too. Do you know what it is?

22. @ tea towel dame from thedasherie.com thank you so so much! I love the magnetic spice jars from Ikea one thing to note when making the labels create a small tab so it lays flat. Also the gold circles are from amazon just search for 3 inch round gold stickers super cheap and they stick really well to the wall :)

23. @style domicile thank you the wreath was a diy. All you really need is a straw wreath can be found at most craft stores and then round felt balls, string the felt balls with a needle and then wrap around the straw wreath secure with a dab of hot glue :)

24. @tira you are so sweet dear friend thanks for your support! You my dear have exceptional taste in all things especially interiors :)

25. Laura says:

Any chance you can tell us what blue paint that is in the living room?
    Thanks!

26. amy says:

As another tall girl, I’d feel completely at home here. Beautiful house, love the openness and approachable design!

27. What a beautifully stylistic and vibrant home. So light and bright, yet full of colour. The velvet French style sofas are gorgeous features and the black bed holds such a visual presence, softened by the fabulous colourful throws. I love Capri’s horse, I would have adored that as a child. A great environment to grow up in :O)

28. Jessica says:

I love your home! I would also like to know where the blue paint is from!