DIY Project: Fabric Covered Photo Mats

EDIT_Weekend_Decorator_photo_matts_blue
We all love a good gallery wall but, depending on the artwork, it can sometimes feel a little disjointed. One simple, and super chic solution is to use the same color mat in multiple frames to unify the look. The end result is totally bespoke and it’s simpler than wrapping a gift. I choose to use bright blue linen because it worked with my graphic collection of art. Just keep in mind that the fabric you choose will be very prominent, so pick something that is going to play well in your space. To help keep things simple and budget friendly I used frames that came with pre-cut mats inside. Keep reading for my step-by-step guide to this fun and easy project, and be sure to check out my Weekend Decorator column on the One Kings Lane Style Blog for even more fun ideas! –Megan

Photos by Drew Gardner

Click through for the full how-to after the jump!

This Sneak Peek is brought to you by Petit Collage. This new book shows you how to make 25 of their bestselling paper and wooden accessories for your home! Learn more here.

PetitCollage_125x125

Here’s All You’ll Need
-A frame with a precut mat
Archival spray mount
Acid free double stick tape
-A square of fabric 2 inches larger than your mat
-Fabric scissors

HT_Weekend_Decorator_photo_matts_blue01

Getting Started

Begin by cutting a square of fabric a little larger than your mat. Once it’s cut, give the fabric a quick once-over with an iron to remove any wrinkles.

HT_Weekend_Decorator_photo_matts_blue02
SPRAY AND TAPE

Lightly mist the front of your mat with spray mount, and place it face down on the fabric. Flip the fabric and mat over, and gently smooth the fabric into place, removing any wrinkles or creases.

HT_Weekend_Decorator_photo_matts_blue03
Next, apply acid-free double-stick tape to the inside and outside edges of the mat. The kind I used had a backing paper that I needed to remove to expose the adhesive.

HT_Weekend_Decorator_photo_matts_blue04
TRIM

Use your fabric scissors to cut the outside corners off the fabric. This will reduce thickness when you fold the fabric over. Next, cut an X in the center of the fabric, going from interior corner to interior corner so that you form four triangular flaps. You’ll want to trim some of the excess fabric off the interior triangles, leaving four tabs about 1.5 inches deep.

HT_Weekend_Decorator_photo_matts_blue05
HT_Weekend_Decorator_photo_matts_blue06
Once you have trimmed off the excess fabric, you’re ready to remove the tape backing, exposing the sticky surface.

HT_Weekend_Decorator_photo_matts_blue07
FOLD

Neatly fold over the inside edges and smooth them into place. Repeat the process around the outside edges.

HT_Weekend_Decorator_photo_matts_blue07
HT_Weekend_Decorator_photo_matts_blue08
HT_Weekend_Decorator_photo_matts_blue09

FINISHING UP

Using the acid free double stick tape, position and secure your print in place. Now your reassemble your frame and hang that bad boy!

HT_Weekend_Decorator_photo_matts_blue10

1. Teresa says:

This is excellent!! I can’t wait to try this. I might even do it with wallpaper with a simple pattern.

2. Austin says:

Love this! Unrelated, but any chance you can tell me where that amazing sisal-looking rug is from in the first shot? Thank you!

3. Chris says:

I’ve been trying to do stuff like this for ages, but now I realize I’ve been doing it all wrong! Thanks so much.

4. Fiona Duke says:

this is going straight on my ‘how to hang photos’ board as I’m always struggling with this. Fab :)

5. So clever and looks absolutely beautiful! Thank you for this fantastic idea! x

6. Caroline says:

This is a great idea- so colorful and fun! Just remember that if you are framing an original piece of art or something of value (sentimental or monetary), slip an acid-free rag mat between the colored fabric mat and the print- you do not want to cause a mat burn and ruin your art. Not all fabric/spray mount is acid-free!

7. Megan Pflug says:

Austin the rug is from One Kings Lane ; )
    Glad you like the story!

8. BK Scriblz says:

I LOVE this idea! I have some fabric sitting around that is this exact shade of blue and, some frames sittin’ in the garage doin’ nothin’. Thank you! Gonna put them all to good use!