DIY Project: Brushstroke Upholstered Bench

DIY Brushstroke Bench 1
I love a good bedroom bench. It provides a nice little place to slip on shoes and can even serve as an extra spot to display art and books in a unique way. The only thing I’m crazier about than a bedroom bench is fabric. Any opportunity I have to include more fabric in a room is one I’m taking. Thankfully, the shape of our bedroom (which is actually a lofted attic) demanded that I create a custom piece to fit our non-standard wall sizes. Since I was already building the bench from scratch, I decided why not throw in some hand-painted fabric, too? This project combines the simplest approach to make your own upholstered bench with a modern brushstroke upholstery style that you can easily tackle yourself in a weekend. –Mandy Pellegrin

DIY Brushstroke Bench 5

Click through for the full how-to after the jump!

MATERIALS & TOOLS
-white canvas
-black fabric paint
-wide paint brush(es)
-a 2” x 12” wooden plank cut to your desired length
-foam or quilt batting
-spray adhesive
-stapler
-black fabric
-4 – 18″ hairpin legs (source)
-liquid gold gilding
-screwdriver

Directions:

1. Begin with a piece of white canvas that is about 10″ larger than your bench board all the way around. Paint large, geometric shapes onto the canvas using a couple of wide paint brushes and black fabric paint. Don’t overload your brush with paint, and don’t overthink it. That’s the key to “effortless” brushstrokes. I added a few splatters as well. To do this, just dip the end of your brush in the paint, and fling it onto the fabric.

DIY Brushstroke Bench 11

2. Wash, dry and iron the canvas to set the paint.

3. Cut a piece of thin foam or a few layers of quilt batting to the size of your bench board, and affix to the top of the board using spray adhesive.

DIY Brushstroke Bench 10

4. Wrap and staple a piece of batting about the same size as your canvas around the board.

5. Wrap and staple the canvas around the board. Finish the ends like you’re wrapping a gift.

DIY Brushstroke Bench 9

6. Hide all of your raw fabric edges by stapling a piece of black fabric to the bottom. Press the raw edges of the black fabric under before stapling into place.

DIY Brushstroke Bench 8

7. Because I’m a sucker for gold/brass, I gave my hairpin legs a coat of liquid gilding. If you’re as dead-set on metallic legs as I was, you can also spring for a set of brass hairpin legs instead of painting them.

DIY Brushstroke Bench 7
DIY Brushstroke Bench 6

8. Finally, attach the hairpin legs to the underside of the bench using wood screws.

DIY Brushstroke Bench 2
DIY Brushstroke Bench 3
DIY Brushstroke Bench 4

1. Love the fabric, what a great idea.

2. Samantha says:

This looks great! Also a sucker for everything gold…how have the painted legs worn on the carpet?

3. Nitabiti says:

Love this project!
    i could definitely find a place for a bench like this in my bedroom,
    such a great idea!
    Nitabiti

4. Loribeth says:

So simple. but elegant. Love.

5. This looks amazing!!!! Love it! :)

6. Mariana says:

Cool!! I had been looking of a set of this type of legs for protect I am doing…

Thanks for sharing!

7. gretchen says:

if you aren’t in a big hurry, hairpin legs can sometimes be found on thrifted furniture. a friend just picked up a small table for two dollars at a garage sale with hairpin legs that she was able to remove and use for her project. happy hunting!

8. Sarah says:

This is Gorgeous! Would love to do this in my playroom, Thank you.

9. Emily says:

Love love this project but I have to ask… those SHOES!!! Where are they from!?

10. jj says:

where are those shoes from

11. Muoi says:

Very nice bench!

For those looking for the cute shoes, the Halogen Kayla d’Orsay flat look very similar:

12. Taylor says:

I work a lot with fabric paint… I would heat set with an iron FIRST, before you wash and dry. Otherwise the paint will fade quite a bit… Some brands will even almost completely wash out if you don’t heat set first. FYI :)

13. Robyn says:

The floral cushion underneath is perfection-please where is it from? Everything is lovely :)

14. susan says:

Great DIY! I also love those dorsay flats, where are they from please?

15. Jacqueline says:

I love this idea! I want to change out our coffee table for a padded piece, but I have never seen one that hit the mark for me. I just ordered the legs–after much debate with the Hubkiss about brass vs painting–and have been hunting for the perfect fabric, as I want something a bit different than what you have created. I am so excited to do this!

16. shelly leer says:

I’ve been hankering to do some fabric painting lately. The whole project is just perfect! And, you did a great job on folding the corners–my pet peeve is badly done corners.

17. Alex says:

Love this project but you can get the hairpin legs for less than half the price they payed on these at hairpinlegs.com!

18. Paige says:

So I just took a look at Hairpinlegs.com and it looks like those legs are much more expensive. Looks like the legs provided in the source (Etsy shop : SolidBuilt) are the best priced ones I could find. Plus, they come with screws, clear coated and with plastic things for the ends of the legs. No luck finding hairpin legs at thrift stores here so I think I’ll go with the Etsy shop unless anyone else knows where you can find cheaper ones?

1. Victoria says:

I think they just saw the price for one leg, instead of adding 4 prices for each leg. The etsy shop is the cheapest I’ve found as well. Gl!