A Day In The Life of Maryanne Moodie

photo1
As most textile lovers can attest, there is something magical about watching things be woven on a loom. Whether it’s beautiful material for dresses or a detailed wall hanging, seeing hundreds or thousands of tiny strands moving and working together on such a large scale – controlled by a single human being – is like watching an elaborately controlled dance. I’ve got a short list of textile-based artists I watch on a daily basis, and artist Maryanne Moodie is one of them. I came across her work relatively recently on Lucy’s blog, The Design Files.

Originally based in Melbourne, Maryanne now lives in Brooklyn with her family and creates stunning tapestries by hand. I love the vivid colors and rich texture she works into her pieces – they’re almost like living creatures on the wall with their own character and personalities. Though she’s only been weaving since 2010, Maryanne has built a devoted following who adore everything from her well-curated vintage collection to her dramatic custom-order wall hangings. Today we’re taking a peek inside her daily life, including time with her son and packaging up custom orders ready to mail. Thanks so much to Maryanne for sharing her day with us! xo, grace

Click through for the full post after the jump!

hot cross buns
Hot Cross Buns: I live all year awaiting the arrival of these in bakeries in Australia. I was devastated to find they are not “a thing” in NYC. So I got up early and baked my own. Aaron, Murray and I ate four immediately as they came out of the oven. Yummy!

design meeting
Design Meeting: I have a quick morning meeting with a new client to commission a weaving to be given to her two best friends on the day they wed.

photo12
Out we go: Spring has sprung in Brooklyn!

the old stone house
The Old Stone House: Had a meeting to view the space I will be using for my two weaving classes on May 11. They are phenomenal.

work space
Back home for a little weaving time. I’m working on a collection for a Brooklyn shop called Straw and Gold.

lunch
Murray goes down for a nap whilst I have a simple lunch. Too many hot cross buns this morning.

photo16
…And he’s awake. Hi, Murray!

playtime
A little play time before a busy afternoon.

photo1 (2)
So excited. My new friend is a candy maker in Brooklyn and she makes her products by hand. She came over to show me the new identity for her Cracked Candy and have a taste. Yummy and pretty.

dinner
Dal and Spicy Potatoes: Tonight I am cooking from my mate’s blog.

yoga
Murray is fed, bathed and in bed singing himself to sleep so I have some time for yoga.

posting
Packing up some woven tapestries to be sent off in the morning. It’s always nice to gift wrap my work as most of the time they are gifts – even if they are a gift to themselves.

bed
And finally to bed: Most of my day, house and life are filled with crazy color and so our bedroom is calm and quiet. No screens in here, just a pile of old penguins that have been lovingly read and reread over the years.

1. Brandie says:

Is there more information about her class? I’m very interested in taking that class.

2. Jodie Nicholson says:

Thanks for sharing your day with us, Maryanne. Melbourne misses you but it’s so good to see you doing so well in the US!

3. Man, her tapestries are gorgeous!

4. Congrats! Love the article/close-up interview! Beautiful work!

5. julie says:

so nice to read this! i love maryanne’s work and always wondered how she juggles motherhood and making art (and being so prolific!)
    she does it so gracefully it seems! i’m always struggling to find a balance myself so this is inspiring.

6. Candi says:

Stunning work! I wish I was local to take classes…

7. Dalit Vic says:

I love this peek into others lives. Thinking… What would I show if I had to cover a typical day of my life… Mmmm… I will try that.

8. patricia says:

I would like to know where Maryanne got that great white work table.

9. I loved this day in the life! I’ve followed Maryanne for a while on Instagram- she does such unique and colorful work. It’s cool to see a little behind the scenes glimpse of how she finds balance in work and life.

10. Elizabeth says:

Beautiful and graceful, as always! x

11. Jessica S. says:

I’ve never heard of Maryanne; but, I’m pleased for this introduction into her world! Can someone tell me if she has ready-made tapestries available for purchase online?

12. Faye A says:

Such an inspirational woman to know and love. Have loved seeing her grow as an artist! All the best my friend.

13. Alison says:

I was lucky enough to do a class with Maryanne in Sydney recently and she is as lovely as her weavings. Gorgeous peek into her life, thanks for a lovely start to my day!

14. Fran says:

Where are those white ceramic coffee mugs in the second picture from???

15. Jacqueline says:

I love Maryanne and her weavings after discovering & following her in Instagram – such beautiful works by such an awesomely talented lady! :D

16. Shell says:

I did Maryanne’s weaving class in Sydney recently as well. The way she shared her knowledge was so inspiring and she’s a great teacher. Oh, she’s also a total sweetheart too! It was an absolute pleasure :)

17. Beautiful life, beautiful business woman, so inspired!

18. Rose Duggan says:

Ah! I love Maryanne’s work. For some reason I though she’d be older, because her work is so masterful. I’ve been pinning it for ages. Thank you for profiling her D*S – you guys are the best.

19. amanda says:

ahhhh her work is so gorgeous, i follow her on insta and it’s such a delight. i’m saving up to take one of her classes. love that she’s only been weaving for 4 years. cute kid too!

20. Susan says:

Love her little sketches… And I love her work. Beautiful feature.