35 Ways to Decorate with Mirrors

The last few years of my life have been about a slow and gradual process of winnowing down the things I have in my home to only the most special, necessary and functional. Much like cutting my hair, I’ve always felt the stripping away of anything extra is one of the most liberating feelings. Not only do you get to give new homes and new lives to objects you once loved or needed (which you can even do with your hair), but you get to create a space that is free of distraction and clutter. For me, those sorts of spaces are always the most calming and comforting when you come home from a long day of work.

One of the few categories of objects I hold on to most strongly are mirrors. Not because of their ability to protect me from leaving the house with something in my teeth (although that is definitely a plus), but because of their ability to tell a story. Looking into an old mirror always begs the question of who looked in that same surface years, decades or even centuries ago. I am always on the hunt for beautiful old mirrors, small or large, so that hunt inspired last month’s hashtag challenge: #DSMIRRORS. After sifting through hundreds of entries, it was clear that this challenge was personal for all of you, too. I loved reading some of the details and captions behind these entries – from family heirlooms to mirrors that captured a special moment in someone’s day. Thanks so much to everyone who shared these photos with us. xo, grace

Click through for all 35 mirrors after the jump…

Photo above taken by AB Crepeau

Photo above taken by Sam Kalda

Photo above taken by The Imaginative

Photo above taken by The Lowell Hotel

Photo above taken by Winsome Hollow

Photo above taken by WkndLA

1. Rachel says:

These are great! I just moved so this is a perfect for some decorating inspiration.

2. Cary says:

Thanks so much for including mine. I love mirrors in homes and have them in nearly every room!

3. Kirstin says:

I loooove love love the gigantic mirror in the photo by Carolyn Cho!

4. Eeep! So excited to be included among these gems, thanks Grace :) There is some wonderful inspiration up there.

5. Thank you so much for including our mirrored sconce! Designer Michael Smith included such exquisite details in the custom design of our Penthouse Suite!

6. Isabelle Dervaux says:

7. Carolyn says:

So completely thrilled! Thanks for including my shots in this feature, @DS! Also feeling so inspired by how the other beautiful interiors have creatively incorporated mirrors.

8. Carolyn says:

Thank you so much Kirsten!

9. Chloe Berk says:

Wow, I just saw my photo here – thank you so much for featuring it! I honestly was looking through this post to get more inspired by other creative people!

10. I love the picture taken by Adam Golub with the painting reflected in the mirror. Do you know who the artist is that made this painting.

11. Emilie says:

Really nice products and design. I think taht if you like these mirrors you should look too Boca do Lobo mirrors too

12. Barb says:

Love the taped pictures in the photo by Kristen Cesiro and what a wonderful table scape, all together it gives you the feeling of adventures and treasures.