Great Artwork at Home

I think my favorite thing about all of our recent hashtag challenges is getting a peek into all the cool homes across the country (and the world!). So last week, Grace asked Instagrammers to share their walls with #DSART. Great artwork and unusual displays really have the potential to inject personality into any space. I was inspired by the artwork theme to pull some of my favorites from our past sneak peeks. Happy art hanging! –Amy

Image above: A mix of vintage and new artwork in this Southern home filled will color and vintage finds.

Image above: In this London home, homeowner and photographer David Cleveland shot these fluff marshmallow jars as a personal project. See all the artwork after the jump!

See more examples after the jump!

Image above: A bathroom collage wall in a Brooklyn apartment.

Image above: The couple in this DC home have a tradition of hanging pictures and mementos from their travels on the wall opposite the bed so they go to bed every night and wake up every morning reminded of all the places they’ve been together.

Image above: The gallery wall in this South Carolina home includes hand-me-down paintings from creative family members alongside art purchased at estate sales and thrift shops.

Image above: Farah Malik made this weaving that is now in her Clinton Hill, Brooklyn apartment as part of her work for Peace Treaty.

41f8d58ca40f93570a18ae23c0ed424f Image above: Benjamin Williams: Naples Blue is the perfect backdrop for art in San Francisco.

5Karen-500x657 Image above: A collection of pictures and vintage lamps that were found and bought in various flea markets around the world and hung on vintage wallpaper  found on eBay serve as a working inspiration board in this home in Israel.

3a3f1cf054c501260898951b23425ef8 Image above: Blue artwork on a blue wall makes a pretty big statement in this Los Angeles home.

04a1301f27ef63a050ad7c47f9002585 Image above: A bright artwork display is a homage to talented friends in Oh Joy!’s new studio space.

1IWONA Image above: This moody artwork was painted by homeowner and jewelry designer Iwona Ludyga for her Brooklyn home.

Image above: A painting from Tinus Teder in the dining area of this family home in the Netherlands.

Image above: A gallery wall in Brooklyn.

Image above: A huge collection of vintage photographs in San Francisco.

1. Love the vintage photgraph wall, really inspiring!

2. ooo the blue on blue is great!

3. ooo that blue on blue is so great!

4. Peaches says:

Tremendous. All of it!

I’m starting to think the secret to a good salon wall is wide mats. Art clusters can look so hodge-podge for most of us, but an occasional wide mat really neutralizes the mix. Also, not nearly enough Marshmallow Fluff art going around these days.

5. These are all great inspirations! I keep saying “we have to get wall art” but I know it takes time to build a good collection. I just wish i could snap my fingers and have it all done.

6. Holly says:

The hashtag IG series is a lot of fun – keep up the great work!

7. Alex says:

So inspiring! I’ve been on the (casual, internet-based, not-terribly-thorough) hunt for large artwork (perhaps around 24″ x 36″ for example) to go over my fireplace. I’ve found that many prints online aren’t very big, and haven’t had much luck with thrift stores. Any recommended resources?

8. Alex says:

So inspiring! I have been looking (casually…mostly online…) for some large artwork to hang over our fireplace, but it seems that a lot of the interesting prints I can find on etsy are not very big, and I haven’t had much luck with thrift stores. Any suggestions for resources? (I’m open to lots of different ideas and dimensions, but perhaps 24″ x 36″ will give you an idea of the dimensions I have in mind…) Thanks! Always such a fan of your beautiful website and all the homes you showcase!

9. I love these! Also love all the maps making an appearance (Paris twice!)

10. Mary Ann says:

Yay! I am all about the gallery walls, and I LOVE seeing the different ways people tell their story… Especially liking the thought behind the DC couple’s travel/memory wall – how lovely to wake up to a smile every day! My mini travel gallery is filled with ‘trip of a lifetime’ pics from 2008, and I get a kick out of switching from Paris to Amsterdam to Iceland…

When I have out of town guests, I’ll slide in their pictures to make THEM smile, too. And, of course, Joy Cho’s gallery wall is pure inspiration.

11. Ben says:

Love the Fluff prints and the cali black and gold print, beautiful collection here.

12. Xava says:

Is that b&w and tan French bistro chair from Joss & Main? or –? Love them, would love to find them a bit cheaper…

13. I just love the idea of an art wall! Can’t wait to try this idea in our own home. Thanks for the inspiration!