Artist Emily Proud’s 10 Favorite Things

I can’t get enough of watercolor artist and illustrator Emily Proud‘s work. When the weather is as miserable as it is here in Brooklyn, all I want to do is surround myself with bright colors, watery textures that remind me of summer and as many pictures of flowers as I can find. Thankfully for me, Emily’s work delivers all of that in abundance and with such skill. I’ve been following Emily’s work for a while now and she has been raved about by every San Franciscan I know for being as kind and lovely in person as her work. So I didn’t miss a beat when we decided to invite some of our favorite artists and designers to share their favorite things here on D*S. Emily’s favorites include some seriously awesome shoes, the California poppies that so often appear in her paintings and, my favorite, beautiful scenes from her local Bay Area. Thanks so much to Emily for sharing these with us! xo, grace

Music: “Springish” by Gillicuddy

Click through for the full list after the jump!

Emily Proud’s Ten Favorite Things:

Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset
1) Favorite read: The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri.

Processed with VSCOcam with m6 preset
2) Favorite watercolors: Holbein watercolors in my well used palette.

emilyproud_3
3) Favorite brush: My 100% sable hair brush.

emilyproud_4
4) Favorite San Francisco view: Lands End.

emilyproud_5
5) Favorite shoes: Swedish Hasbeens peep toes. Pants from Oona’s Boston.

Processed with VSCOcam with m5 preset
6) Favorite activity: Indoor rock climbing at Mission Cliffs.

Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset
7) Favorite jewelry: My Tuareg bracelet and the ring my grandmother left to me that I wear everyday.

Processed with VSCOcam with m4 preset
8) Favorite flower: California Poppies.

Processed with VSCOcam with m1 preset
9) Favorite dress: This Ace & Jig number I purchased last summer.

Processed with VSCOcam with m2 preset
10) Favorite studio nook: This vintage chair and pillows from Stuff and outdoor rug from Home Infatuation.

1. ElizabethW says:

The warm and delightful paintings on your website make this dreary, chilly and damp day just disappear. Thank you for sharing your lovely ‘favorite things’, and for the beautiful work you do!

2. Emily Proud says:

Thank you Grace!

@Elizabeth W: Thank you!

3. Skorsten says:

Vintage chair on the last photo reminds me childhood)

4. Katchups says:

No joke, my Grandma had those pants! And a button down blouse to go with it in the same print. I always thought it was a sweet print.

5. Nicole says:

love this! you should do a day in the life of her work or a more in-depth interview (if you haven’t already!). I’d love to see more of her work/design perspective :)

6. Sally Brown says:

Beautiful things! Grounded in the past and secure hope for the future.

7. Jilll Smith says:

I have just tweeted this post and all the lovely pictures so more people can see it.