As we wrap up and prepare to head out for the weekend, I wanted to take a moment to send a very special Valentine to the two people who inspire me, support me and make me love every day of my job: my truly wonderful Brooklyn co-workers, Amy Azzarito and Max Tielman. These two have been not only creating wonderful and exciting work for Design*Sponge, but have been the greatest daily support for me for the past few years. Working across the desk from talented people like these two is truly a gift and today I want to send them a huge THANK YOU and a very big hug. I couldn’t be luckier to have them as my work Valentines. I hope all of you have a wonderful Valentine’s Day, too- whether you’re celebrating solo, with friends, family or loved ones, I hope everyone gets a little surprise message of love. Lots of love from Brooklyn, xo, grace
Best of the Web This Week:
- Oprah on the power of minimalism: Knowing what you need is more valuable than knowing what you want.
- Sheryl Sandberg and Getty work to change the way women are perceived in stock photography. Simply fantastic.
- Orla Kiely’s pattern-filled home (Dwell): Just as fun and primary-filled as I’d hoped.
- Zac Posen’s Oscar-worthy gowns (R29): This designer is my hero. Glamour x a million.
- Public Schools instituting “work from home” days in bad weather?: A fascinating look at how freelancer norms could possibly help students.
- What Lucky’s Eva Chen eats during fashion week: Thankfully she eats, and eats well. Jalapeno grits? Yes, please.
- In Johannesburg, an old grain silo was stacked with large shipping containers and repurposed into an amazing apartment building! Shipping containers FTW!
- Children’s Graffiti in Paris (Kinfolk): I think this is the sweetest photo.
- Indigo Bunting for Paperless Post: My chosen Valentine’s Day cards for this year. Playful and food-themed.
Best of DS This Week:
- Must Reads: We Want Your Job: Google Doodler, A Day in the Life: Clare Vivier
- 10 Second Videos: Nunu Chocolates, Nicolette Owen & Fay Andrada, 10 Second How To: De-Thorn A Rose
- In the Kitchen With: Kristina’s Bucatini all’Amatriciana
- Biz Ladies: Jeff Martin Joinery and 6 Simple Steps to Get Through Work Hurdles
- City Guide: 24 Hours in D.C. with Emily Hilliard, Morgan Hungerford West and Elizabeth Graeber
- Design*Sponge Online Black Book: The 10 Best Table Lamps
- Before and After: A “Cookie Cutter” Kitchen Becomes Anything But
- D*S Gem Handbook: Peridot, Amethyst
- Design Icon: The Eiffel Tower
- Sneak Peeks: A Costume Designer’s Eclectic U.K. Home, A Modern Minimalist Nashville Home, An Estonian Home Filled with Colorful Textiles, DRIFT San Jose del Cabo, Mexico
- DIY Projects: Heart-Patterned Cake Roll, 16 Creative Valentine’s Day DIY Projects, Aluminum Drum Pendant, How To Crochet: The Basics, Make Your Own: DIY Statement Necklace, How To Draw Hearts With Circles: A Geometric Love Story
- D*S Newsletter + Giveaway: Flicker Box Candle Subscription Giveaway and What We Are Loving This Week: Romance + Snow! Sign up for the newsletter here
- D*S Newsletter: