I’ve had pattern on my mind all week as I clear out my desktop folders and realize how many wallpaper patterns I keep ‘clipping’ and saving online. Eskayel recently launched a new collection and I can’t get their soft watery designs out of my head. So many wallpapers over the past few years have been about high contrast and shiny detailing, which is fine, but I really love the way Eskayel’s papers have a softness about them that blends into a room so well. Her newest series feels like dipping into a cool dark cool pool- always a nice feeling to end the week on. I’m heading out now to go through 10 years of D*S posts for a very special project coming up soon. Wishing you all a wonderful weekend from memory lane. xo, grace
THE BEST OF THE WEB THIS WEEK:
- DIY Concrete Table at Weekday Carnival: I’m obsessed with Riika’s projects, and this one is fantastic. It looks modern and professional and I’d chose this over another pom pom project any day.
- Which Orange Is The New Black character are you?: Enough said. I got RED. I did not see that coming. But now I kind of love it.
- Corn Husk Flowers: Britney at The House That Lars Built is channeling Austin Scarlett with this amazing post on the flexibility of corn husks. She’s making flowers, but as a material, it’s a great piece to explain how versatile it is. I may need to experiment with them this weekend.
- How do fashion trends start?: Just in time for fashion week, Fast Co. takes a look at the Trend-ology, a new exhibit at the Musuem of of FIT that examines the source of fashion trends.
- We love this animated look at last year’s battle between “realistic” and “flat” design. It’s just one more example of how the shifts between ornament and simplicity are never-ending in design history.
- Although New Yorkers were generally all miserable about this week’s bout of winter weather, some Instagrammers pointed out that, between all the horror, there was some real beauty.
- The Paris Metro, reimagined: These proposals to repurpose unused Paris metro stations are AWESOME.
- Photographs from the Sony World Photography Awards: I could stare at these all day. There’s so much LIFE in these photos.
THE BEST OF THE DESIGN*SPONGE THIS WEEK:
- Giving Back and Away: Aid to Artisans, Catbird $500 Giveaway, FREE Jen Altman Desktop Wallpaper, 5 Tips for Making The Most of Your iPhone Camera, Design*Sponge Online Black Book: Best Striped Rugs
- Videos: 10 Second Studio Tour: Rebecca Atwood
and Make Your Own: Valentine’s Day Flower Arrangement
- A Day in the Life: John Robshaw, Christine Schmidt of Yellow Owl Workshop
- Recipes: Erika Dudley’s Mocha Bread Pudding
- Biz Ladies: Bari Ziperstein of BZIPPY & Co. and 7 Simple Ways to Spruce Up Your Brand This Year
- City Guide: 24 Hours in Oakland with Rebekah Carey McNall of A & B Creative
- Interviews: Jonathan Adler and Brit McDaniel of Paper & Clay
- Before and After: A Humdrum Bathroom Gets A Modern Makeover
- D*S Gem Handbook: Emerald, Garnet
- After the Jump: 15 Apps I Can’t Live Without
- Sneak Peeks: Decorating with Mirrors: 20 Favorites, Minimalist Style in a Vancouver Home, A London Home that Keeps Things Simple
- DIY Projects: Chain of Heart Napkins, Cake Stand, Mirror Tray, DIY Beaded Necklace