Before & After: Two Rooms Transformed with Recycled Pieces and Thrifty Finds

Kitchen and bathroom renovations, if done on a full scale, are notoriously expensive.  Even minuscule things like paint and tiles, when added to items like faucets and appliances, have a tendency of driving the price tag up into the stratosphere. It should be noted, however, that if one is willing to expend the necessary elbow grease, a beautiful, full-fledged room transformation is possible without dipping into the proverbial college fund. Take Sophie Leger’s recent home renovation, for instance. When Sophie and her husband decided to renovate their New Brunswick home’s bathroom and kitchen, they maintained a comparatively low budget by turning to repurposed and cheaply-sourced fixtures and doing most of the handiwork themselves. It certainly paid off—the end results are a far, far cry from the drab “befores”—bright, airy and modern, with a bit of rustic charm! Check out all of the photos plus Sophie’s design notes and sources after the jump! —Max

sophie_ba_kitchen_2 sophie_ba_kitchen_3 sophie_ba_kitchen_4 sophie_ba_kitchen_5

“We renovated an entire kitchen cupboard to give an open feel,” Sophie notes. “We also removed the old cupboard doors and had some simple Shaker-style doors made. We put up a subway tile backsplash and replaced the faucet, countertops, and fixtures.” Light fixtures and countertops from IKEA. Faucet and subway tile from Homet Depot. Hardware from Lee Valley. Cupboard paint, “Evening Hush” by Behr.

“Since we were on a tight budget,” Sophie writes, “we opted to refinish in an eclectic style. We basically had to gut the entire room and start from scratch. We added wainscoting from floor to ceiling, repurposed an old dresser into a vanity, swapped out the dated lighting for a barn light fixture, replaced flooring, and added a pane glass door.” Mirror, sink and faucet from Home Depot. Antlers from a local antique shop.

Kitchen budget: Approx. $2000

Bathroom budget: Approx. $1700 (including new tub)

1. I love, love, love the dark kitchen cabinets with the wood counter tops. So earthy!

2. Dominique says:

No way!! I bet 50$ that the ‘local antique shop’ is my mom’s store in Moncton, NB!
    Wow, thanks for featuring a small canadian town :)

(my mom’s shop btw is Boutique Recycl’art and Antiques )

3. Dominique says:

Just checked with my mom, and the antlers definitely came from her little antique shop in Moncton! (A credit in the description would be great since we have a website)

Anyway thanks for featuring such a cute place!

4. Andre says:

I love seeing this type of feature. It is nice that people can do beautiful things themselves and with limited budgets.
    Nice work home-owners!

5. Eleanor says:

Wow. Just wow. Both rooms are amazing!

6. AshLoren says:

I really like the simple layout of the kitchen, not to mention the tile used on the walls and the deep shade of gray used for the cabinets. Love it.

7. adele says:

oh my gawd! I grew up in Dieppe! Never ever ever thought I would see some Maritime representation in DS. Awwwesome!

8. Suzy Quinn says:

Beautiful. Any way to find out the exact type of butcher block from Ikea? Thanks!

9. Nicole says:

Way to rep Canada! Nice work! Love the dresser vanity.

10. Carolina says:

Simply love the bathroom!

11. Kristine says:

Love both rooms! The kitchen tiled to the ceiling adds so much style. Love the deep gray color of cabinets. Can you give out the color?

12. Jeri Schulten says:

I want a vanity like that but I’m intimidated with how to:(! Do you have a link showing at details in how to do this?

13. Nancee says:

bookmarked!!, I love your website!

14. mindi says:

is that a bird on the sink faucet?!!! *AMAZE*

15. Helene says:

This is remarquable what you were able to do with a tiny budget. You have a talent for interior design! Bravo!

16. Jacqueline says:

So lovely! This shows that you don’t always need a lot of $ to make your home look good :)

17. I simply adored what you’ve done to the bathroom. Much more than a renovation it was an authentic make over. Well done!

18. Joyce MacFarlane says:

Nicely done. Love to see Canadian features on DS.

19. I love the color on those cabs, I’ll have to go check out the whole reno and see what they used!

20. blake eames says:

I am more than a little amazed that even with doing all the labor yourselves, that this kitchen reno was 2000…wow

Nicely done.

21. Beautiful afters! Love the dresser in the bathroom!

22. Judi says:

If it’s possible to find out where those handles are from, I’d love to know. (We live in Vermont, so Canadian retailers are accessible to us too.) Thanks!

1. Sophie says:

The handles are from Lee Valley :)

23. Dana says:

Any information where the bathroom ‘barn’ light fixture is from?

24. Sophie says:

Dana we bought them from but I did find the same ones at lowes afterwards for much less :)

25. Tracy says:

Amazing job! Wowza! Congrats! I love so many of the little details!

26. Tracy says:

Wow! I can’t believe you did all the by yourselves! Congratulations. Both rooms look awesome and you brought in so many great details!!! Way to go!

27. Kelly says:

Amazing! I would love to know how it went taking the old countertops off in the kitchen, as I am dying to do that but the hubs says no due to to damage to existing cabinets…how did you do it?!

28. Jeri says:

Where did you get the bathroom sink I’m trying to find one similar and must not be searching properly?

1. Sophie says:

We got it at Home Depot :)

2. Sophie says:

We actually got it at Home Depot :)