15 Modern Trivets

ds_trivet copy
I feel very lucky to share my personal life with someone who loves food as much as I do. Not fancy food, complicated food or food that’s been fussed with – just simple, comforting, good food. For me, that’s usually something that involves a pot on the stove that’s bubbly and warm. From warm winter stews (Julia knows her way around a good soup) and casseroles to ciders, few things make me happier than coming home to something warming on the stove top. So this morning, I thought I’d look for the most beautiful trivets that are not only functional, but add some decorative elements to your kitchen you won’t tire of quickly. If you’re like me and you have limited counter space, having functional kitchen tools that also look pretty when they’re out on the tabletop is definitely a must. I hope anyone in need of something new in the kitchen can find the perfect trivet in this list. xo, grace

Click through for all 15 trivets after the jump…

Image above: Inside Out Wood Trivet $28

Image above: Wooden Bagel Trivet $80

Image above: Prism Trivet $46

Image above: Ray Trivet $38

Image above: Mid-Century Modern Trivet $45- $100

Image above: Geometric Trivet $88

1. Stéphanie says:

To be honest, I only just realised that I never had a word for that ‘thing that protects the table from hot pans’. I think I usually refer to them as “mitts” because we have only fabric ones. That aside, I love so many of these – the triangle ones, and the DIY beads in particular.

2. I just love Nalle’s house trivet. So pretty and modern!!!

3. Laurel says:

I love some of these options and since I have butcher-block tops in my kitchen I’m a bit obsessive about having trivets to hand! I recently followed a really simple tutorial to make some that look a lot like the Japanese woven trivet shown above but was instead called a Scandinavian Style Knotted Trivet here;

They came out beautifully and were simple/cheap to make for those who can’t afford the store bought options.

4. Margaret says:

Grace, somewhat off topic, but have you read Michael Pollan’s Cooked? From the sound of this post (and many of your food posts) I think you’d absolutely love it! He has a whole chapter on cooking in/with “Water” – essentially braising and boiling. It’s lovely.

5. Elliza says:

On the website the two from Xenia Taler say, “Decorative use only. Not intended for contact with food.” Does that mean you can’t actually use them??

6. olga says:

I’ve long been coveting the food52 trivet and hope to treat myself next month! I have long wondered why that detail in the kitchen has been so overlooked and generally designed to be such an eyesore. For super budget minded, I recall having the corkboard Ikea ones for awhile. They aren’t going to stop anyone in their tracks, but they’re simple and not ugly.

7. Mary Lawson says:

The Brass and Prism trivets are my favorites. So pretty.

8. Xenia Taler says:

Hi Elliza! This is Xenia here. Glad you checked out our trivets and they are definitely meant to be used. You can put a hot pot on them (they’ve already been through a kiln)- we just don’t recommend using them to serve food or appetizers directly off the surface – as in sushi or cheese. Hope that helps!