10 Cozy Reading Nooks

DS_READING_NOOKS
As I pulled my snow boots on again for yet another morning slog through the park with Hope, I found myself wondering if I’d ever have the motivation to work away from the couch again. Although I’m excited to make our office prettier, part of me just can’t find the motivation to do anything but work in a pile of blankets and sweatshirts at home. Inspired by that giant pile of comfort, I thought it would be fun to find some inspiration for creating cozy nooks at home. While I primarily find myself working in nooks like this, rather than reading, I’m hoping these cozy spots will inspire most of you to read or relax in them, rather than crack open a laptop. xo, grace

Click through for all 10 nooks after the jump…

0ee984cac5da53bfd89181f203dceff2
Image above: Jessica Helgerson’s “Tiny House” Sauvie Island home, via Martha Stewart Living. Photos by Lincoln Barbour.

78c3d6e3e2d140f0c91724fa1ef71071
Image above: A colorful spot for reading, via Secret Berbere

336a6904dee18692d9b418a72df7d357
Image above: Mandy Pellegrin’s cozy reading nook

836c6bde44a4005584f1baba578f3264
Image above: An attic renovation by David Hotson Architect with interiors by Ghislaine Viñas, via Dwell Magazine

6800614b39cd35fd3d9d2d8ab743a2b0
Image above: A sophisticated reading nook at Houzz

a7e2a40c5f2432045189617e87edc007
Image above: Gorgeous under-stair reading nook, via Paper Blog

a3218875b7b094414d303b500867b0c9
Image above: A child’s closet turned into a reading nook (in editor Pilar’s Brooklyn Home), via Martha Stewart Living

d836aa285b32646704ea816580ac9064
Image above: Paul Massey’s amazing home, via Desire to Inspire

e235edf1a9a3e3680ea9cfdd4ef27a16
Image above: Dark grey reading nooks designed by Nest Design Co., via Arianna Belle.

gemma4
Image above: A dark and moody reading nook in Gemma Ahern’s home

1. Emma says:

The under-stair nook is my favorite, even though I am reminded of Harry Potter’s childhood living situation. The Gemma Ahern one is great, too–it feels like it would be a great place to read if it’s cold and rainy outside!

2. maggie says:

A nook as a work space…why didn’t I think of that? I think you’re onto something. Lovely and inspiring spaces as well.

3. Mike says:

I would love to have a nook to read and work in…one day! ;)

4. Erin says:

I really love the one from Nest Design!

5. Ben says:

It’s chucking it down here in London, a chair in front of a small file looks very appealing right now!!

6. Amy says:

Great ideas! I really like cozy nooks, and keep trying to find ways to carve out some spaces for one or two.

7. Jill Smith says:

Love the reading nooks was thinking having a door with a sign saying ‘reading time , only bother me if its urgent’ hanging on the door knob,

8. misbah zulfa elizabeth says: