A bright & cheery family home in the Netherlands

1femkeShop owner and blogger Femke Dekker- ter Meulen has lived in this home in Leiden (in the Netherlands) for nearly six years with husband Ben Dekker, the couple’s three children: Merlijn (5), Julius (3), Kate (1) and their American au pair, Ava. Leiden is a university town located close to the Hague, and the house is surrounded by water. Femke loves eclectic interior styles – when shopping for the house, she never contemplates whether it will fit with anything else – her only question is about whether she loves it. With three kids and an au pair it’s no wonder that Femke’s favorite part of the house the space she’s managed just carve out just for her and Ben- the first floor has a an open floor plan with the master bedroom, the couple’s bathroom (no kids allowed) and Femke’s office. Thanks Femke and Ben! –Amy

Image above: This is our large sitting room area, also where the TV is. It has great light during the day and is cozy in the evening.

Image above: The piano, also in the large sitting room area. It is a shame that no one plays the piano regularly at the moment – hopefully one day.

Image above: A painting from Tinus Teder, in the dining area

Image above: Large sitting room area, tables are from Femke Ido Shop

Image above: Our dining table

Image above: My office at home on the 1st floor. The chair is from Hay

Image above: The sitting area in the kitchen

Image above: Built-in cabinet in my office

Image above: Our bedroom. The wallpaper is from Cole & Son from Femke Ido Shop

Image above: Bedroom. Cushions from Ferm Living and Donna Wilson

Image above: Playing corner for the boys

Image above: Another play space in the large sitting room

Image above: Kate’s nursery. Wallpaper: Orla Kiely

Image above: Kate’s nursery

Image above: Kate’s nursery. The chair is Hay and the cushion is Donna Wilson

Image above: The boys room

Image above: The bathroom in the master bedroom

Image above: The kids bathroom

Image above: Our roof terrace

Image above: Our roof terrace

1. Eva says:

For me it’s very obvious that this is a Dutch home. Loads of color, love for graphic stuff, fun and playful. Very recognizable taste, being Dutch myself, I tend to the same style approach. Would have been nice to see some more overview pics of the rooms.

2. Elise G says:

Wat leuk om hier opeens een bekend huis tegen te komen! Gluren bij de buren wordt zo wel heel makkelijk ;)

3. sylvia Matlock says:

Are those dishtowels from Hay? Luv the color and living vibrancy.

4. Stacy says:

This looks beautiful, from what I can see. But without any medium or long shots, I really don’t have a good sense of the rooms.

5. Wow, just love this, one of my favourite sneak peeks ever

6. @eva thanks for your comment. Please follow me on my blog and Instagram to see some overview pics!

7. Very cool fresh and alive. Being partial to color on a clean white palette, this place looks great. What a great place to live in. The bathroom hardware…the best!

8. Mindy Fox says:

Simply beautiful. Fresh and warm.

9. Gina says:

WOW! What an amazing place! I love the mixture of different patterns, colors, textures! I love, love, love… a place like this!

10. kate says:

Maybe it was because of the photo shoot, but it looks over-styled and like no one actually lives here. A lot of the furniture looks pretty, but uncomfortable, too.

11. Caroline says:

Lovely home. Where in the world did you get that amazing bunkbed?

12. Birgit says:

i would really love to order at http://femkeidoshop.com but it seems really difficult…please make shopping easier, i love your stuff!

13. Carrie says:

I’m dying to order one of those white tables for my living room! Do they ship to the US?

14. Natalie says:

I love that gorgeous blue rug in the sitting room! Where is it from? Lovely house!

15. I love your floors, lights, art and bunk bed so much. You guys are awesome.

16. Marieke says:

Hoi Femke,

Maybe you noticed that your name below your comment links to
    http://femkeido.blogpost.nl/ instead of
    http://femkeido.blogspot.nl/ :)

Groetjes, Marieke

17. natasha says:

I seriously need that yellow Poof. Where? How?

18. firehorse jane says:

This is such a happy space; thanks for sharing! :)

19. @Carrie yes, we do ship those to the US, please leave us an e-mail to info@femkeidoshop.nl many thanks!

20. @Natasha de poof is from Christien Meindertsma, a Dutch designer

21. @caroline the bunkbed is from jorgsteigerhout.nl in the Netherlands. I am sure you will be able to find a local carpenter to make it for you!

22. Susie says:

Where can I get the cushion in the shape of a house? I love it!

23. Claire says:

The pink case on the piano…I’ve seen it at IKEA; how long ago did you get it?