37 Beautiful Fireplaces

1paula
With today’s forecast of -12 F (that’s the high!) here in Minneapolis, there is nothing I would like to do more than sit by a cozy fireplace and whine about the weather sip hot chocolate. Since I don’t have a fireplace, I’ve done the next best thing and collected a few dozen of my favorite fireplaces from the Sneak Peek archives to share with you. I hope these bring some warmth to your day.Shannon

Image above: This junk store find replaced the original fireplace in Paula Mill’s home.

4Troy
Image above: A mantle-free fireplace in a Troy Litten’s vintage inspired home.

bupphouse7
Image above: A black brick fireplace contrasts beautifully against this white washed Catskills home.

See more fireplaces after the jump…

2ARIELE
Image above: The quiet elegance of the white fireplace in Ariele Alasko’s home contrasts well against an abundance of texture and pattern throughout her living room.

1chris
Image above: This faux fireplace serves as a storage space for logs used in the real fireplace elsewhere in this Minneapolis home.

1DouglasRiccardi-500x750
Image above: The soft gray tones of the fireplace in Douglas Riccardi’s home marry well with the gray tones of the vintage poster hung above.

1esther
Image above: The faux fireplace in Esther Boulton’s home adds warmth to her London home.

1Haley
Image above: Another minimal white fireplace, complimented this time by a gallery wall in Haley Ann Robinson’s home.

1hoffman
Image above: Fireplace as gallery space in Mary Jo and Steve Hoffman’s Minneapolis home. Perfect for showcasing trial images for Mary Jo’s photography blog, STILL.

1hoy
Image above: A white fireplace in Greg and Melissa Hoy’s Pennsylvania home.

1ingrid
Image above: A raw and rustic fireplace in Ingrid Weir’s home.

1jo
Image above: A modest fireplace keeps the kids warm in this Danish home.

1luke
Image above: A vintage poster is framed by the fireplace in this London home.

1matt
Image above: The fireplace in this South African home is not only the central focal point, but also the main source of heat in the winter as Matt and Kathy Allison don’t have central heat in their home.

1opo-500x750
Image above: A faux fireplace creates a previously missing focal point in this Winnipeg home.

1Rebekka
Image above: The fireplace in Rebekka and Manley Seale’s home provides storage space for magazines.

1tori-500x750
Image above: The white books in Tori Hendrix’s fireplace are leftover from a wedding she styled. See more of her home here.

1Valery
Image above: The pale marble fireplace in Valery Damnon’s Parisian home contrasts well against the boldness of the Serge Mouille light fixture above.

2katherine
Image above: Reminders of the outdoors: tennis racket, shells and a seascape painting adorn Katherine McMillan’s fireplace in her Minneapolis home.

2katie-500x750
Image above: Kate and Jessie opt for a candle and frame vignette in front of their fireplace in their San Francisco home.

2nina
Image above: During the winter the fire is always going in Jon and Nina Hans’ Los Angeles home.

2Owens
Image above: A clean gray fireplace in this New Zealand home.

3Anna
Image above: Family art adorns this fireplace in sculptor Anna Wili Highfield’s home.

Design*Sponge | Leah Verwey Photo
Image above: A brick fireplace nestled between bookshelves in Leah Verwey’s Portland home.

3Nicole
Image above: This fireplace is put to good use in this San Francisco home as the weather allows for fires year round.

3VanishingElephan-500x751
Image above: Fireplace as art gallery in Arran and Jacqui Russell’s Australian home.

4Jill
Image above: The fireplace in this Victorian home is rich with historic detail.

4percy
Image above: Tara Mangini and Percy Bright painted the fireplace in their New York home a dark gray to camouflage the soot and grit that had built up on it.

5Hans
Image above: A minimal fireplace in this Nashville home.

5Jesse1
Image above: Jessie Webster’s fireplace showcases plants and some rock and roll photography shot by her dad in the 60s and 70s.

5Rochelle-500x765
Image above: Scrap wood as art above the fireplace in woodworker Rochelle Chavez’s home.

7chelsea
Image above: A starburst mirror and Jonathan adler ceramics pop against Chelsea and Forrest Kline’s brick fireplace in their California home.

7JessieA
Image above: The fireplace mantle in Jessie Artigue’s home was the first thing she decorated when she moved into her Hoboken home.

8_thisisglam-500x687
Image above: A blank white canvas framed in gold adds a touch of minimal glamour in this Edinburgh home.

johnshouse40
Image above: A Hudson Valley School painting sits atop the fireplace in this New York home.

lizzyoates_1
Image above: A small but comfortable seating area frames a fireplace in this Upper East Side home.

8Anna
Image above: One more from Anna Wili Highfield’s home, a fireplace in her white washed bedroom.

1. I made an article just about fireplaces as well… but I love your ideas!

2. Josie says:

On my to-do list for the new year is to restyle my mantle. Thanks for the great inspiration!

3. kara rane says:

thanks for the warm ideas. I grew up in a home with a wood burning stove that was both magical and functional. Now we live in a very old beautiful home with a fireplace that no longer can hold a fire… so my genius man created a rotating light that simulates radiating fire flames. O yes- we do circle around feeling as if we are getting warm..& this is all so unnecessary as we live in the sunshine of Cali. where a cold day is 60 degrees!!

4. Avery says:

I already feel warmer

5. Avery says:

I already feel warmer!Thanks for sharing

6. Bianca says:

Amazing! This makes me want a fireplace too. I guess I am just going to have to settle for the hot chocolate!

7. Jen says:

I’m a sucker for fireplaces…we don’t have one at our place right now and it’s absence was particularly felt during the holiday season. I’ll have to bookmark this post for decorating a future house :)

xx,
    jen

8. maggie says:

These are lovely! I am in LA (nice and warm!) but my family is in Chicago…stay warm, everyone!

9. Carolyn says:

Thank you for this wonderful gallery! I have 3 fireplaces in my historic home that have so much potential, but I haven’t been able to clarify what I want. This is just the inspiration I needed–so many different styles here!

10. Myrna says:

It’s so nice to see fireplace brick left natural, not painted white. This photo gallery kept my interest all the way through. Individual personalities and styles of the occupants/renters/owners are fascinating.

11. Nadine says:

This is great! My fireplace is on a boring white wall, and I need inspiration.

12. The Room Illuminated says:

Oh my….fireplace envy oozing out of every pore….love it!!

13. Kirstin says:

even better than all of these cozy fireplaces is the giant stack of blankets in the second photo!

14. Love a great fireplace! Thanks for the gallery!

15. This is a really beautiful collection of fireplaces and I would really want to install one of the above fireplaces at my new home.

16. Mia says:

Every once in a while I go back and look through the photos from Damnon’s home in Paris. The floors from those french apartments inspire a particularly strong sense of envy. P.S. Scrolling through the photos was pure satisfaction (sorry slideshows).

17. Can you do one on woodstoves too? This one you featured is my all-time fav…http://www.designsponge.com/2011/11/sneak-peek-annie-caleb-coggan-crawford.html

18. Breanne says:

The Danish ‘fireplace’ is actually a wood stove!