DIY Project: Plexi Accent Shelf

Plexi Accent Shelf 8
I love when supplies are as pretty by themselves as they are functional for a project, and I have a lot of supplies that fall into this category. My favorite and most-used among them is my collection of twines. This acrylic accent shelf project is the perfect little addition for displaying these or any other lovely little items — adding a bit of sparkle but otherwise disappearing. And because the hardware store will be doing most of the work on this one, you’ll be shocked by how easy it is. –Mandy Pellegrin

Plexi Accent Shelf 10

Click through for the full how-to after the jump…

MATERIALS:
-1/2″ thick plexi
-12 – wooden beads
-Gold spraypaint
-2 – 8″ wood screws

TOOLS:
-electric drill

You can have plexiglass cut to size at your local hardware store, or you can order it in custom cut sizes from many online providers (I use this site). Mine is cut to 5.5″ x 22″. The 1/2″ thickness also makes it sturdy. I got my wood screws from the hardware aisle at my local hardware store. They’re made for heavy duty wood projects like decks, fences, and squares. My pack of 12 also came with a drill bit specifically for them.

Directions

1. Spraypaint the wooden beads gold.

Plexi Accent Shelf 1
Plexi Accent Shelf 2

2. Put six beads on each of two wood screws.

3. Drill the beaded screws into your wall. It may help to first drill pilot holes with a
smaller drill bit. I also highly recommend locating studs in which to drill them, and because the screws themselves are the brackets, use the level on the top of your drill to ensure that you’re drilling them in perfectly straight.

Plexi Accent Shelf 3
Plexi Accent Shelf 4

4. Place the plexi on top of the brackets.

Note: These shelves are lightweight, so I absolutely do not recommend storing heavy items on them. I have a set of two on which I store twines and cans of spraypaint. They’ve been in place for almost three months now with no issues whatsoever.

Plexi Accent Shelf 5

Plexi Accent Shelf 6

Plexi Accent Shelf 7

Plexi Accent Shelf 9

1. Love this, so simple and elegant.

2. Lizabeth says:

How do you make the twine holders? :)

3. Suzonne says:

Love it! Now can you tell us about the twine holders?!

4. Missy says:

Yes! Tell us how you made the twine holders!

5. SGD says:

Where do you source the wooden beads?

6. I’ve had something similar in mind for my upcoming trade show in London, Pulse 2014, but this is a lot easier!! Thanks so much!

7. Lisa says:

good link for etsy…lovely shelf, great accent with the gold…now going completely off topic – the sequins I have no idea how to sew them and I have strands because they well have so much potential – anyone? How do I sew them with my machine?
    thanks

8. allysha says:

Lisa,

Use a wide zig zag stitch and clear nylon thread. Just adjust the stitch length until you hit a sort of sweet spot where the thread is pulled between the sequins and hidden. I would also recommend using regular all purpose thread in your bobbin, not the nylon. The tension can sometimes heat the thread too much and cause it to snap.

9. looks amazing! at first glance i didn’t realize the shelf was plexiglass, so smart.

10. Pkae says:

ME too….how to make/where to buy twine holders! :-)

LISA, there is a special foot you can purchase that is made specifically for sequins. Google sequin sewing machine feet and you’ll find a lot of them.

11. Lisa says:

Allysha and Pkae – merci – so nice of you both!
    Lisa