Design*Sponge Yard Sale + Best of the Web

Design*Sponge Yard Sale! 1/18/14

Over the past month or two, we’ve been quietly working on (much needed) a Design*Sponge office makeover. We’re going post the process and big reveal soon, but in the meantime, we’re ready to clean house. From artwork and props to furniture, rugs, accessories, tableware and paper goods, we have a ton of beautiful things that we feel ready to pass to loving homes. So a week from Saturday (on January 18th) we’re hosting a yard sale in our office! From 12-4 we’ll be there with snacks and plenty of design goodies (and some extra copies of the DS Newspaper!) to welcome anyone who’s looking for some new goods to dress up their home. The details are below– hope to see you there! xo, grace

Design*Sponge Yard Sale!
Date: January 18th, 2014
Time: 12pm – 4pm
Location: 61 Greenpoint Avenue, Brooklyn, NY (look for the signs on the door!)
Travel: G train to Greenpoint Avenue

This week, we’re also redoing the way we end our weeks. In addition to sharing our favorite posts from Design*Sponge, we’re going to be sharing our favorite social media updates, links and stories from across the web. From must-read business advice and inspiring homes to funny stories (and a cat video or two) that you’ve got to see over the weekend. I hope you enjoy our picks for Best of the Web!

designsponge_bestof_jan10_2014
Our favorite posts and social media from around the web this week:

designsponge_bestof_web_11013
Our favorite posts and social media from Design*Sponge this week:

1. I wish I was going to be in NY, sounds like so much fun.

2. Amanda says:

Are you planning on listing whatever is leftover from the sale (if there is anything) online, for people who are not in NY? Just curious! Love this idea.

1. Grace Bonney says:

amanda

i’m afraid not, sorry. :(

grace

3. Emily A. says:

Hi! So excited about this! Date clarification is needed though. Post indicates Jan. 18th, which is Saturday, so I assume that is the correct date, but the image indicates Jan. 17th.

1. Grace Bonney says:

emily

we fixed the header, it’s the 18th :)

grace

4. Allie K says:

I love that you’re posting ‘Best of the Web’. It’s a great addition to your standard ‘Week in Review’ post. Keep it up!

5. Sara says:

I might just have to make a trip down!

6. Sylvia says:

Ooh I love yard sales! Do we have to RSVP to the yard sale or do we just show up?

7. hmr says:

I will so be there. Will Hope be in attendance?

8. Sandra says:

That article about the death of the blog is thought provoking and goes hand-in-hand, I believe, with the changes in funding online publications. As an aside, your two podcasts on the latter topic are brilliant. So refreshing to hear a “big blogger” speak honestly and thoughtfully of the shift.

So where do you think blogs are going? Where will we live? I look at my blog as an online portfolio as well as a home base from where I venture out into social media. Will we no longer have that? Are we dinosaurs? Am I living in the past in how I conceive of the online space?

9. Can I just say I am so happy to be a New York resident right now. I love a good yard sale. WOOT!

10. Taylor Anne says:

I cannot wait for this!!!

11. Polly Rowan says:

Ah wish I was in NYC for this!

12. yeeahh… I will so be there to :)

13. PEARLSPEAK says:

I will be at your yard sale! So looking forward to it!

In an effort to leave what I hope will be received as constructive feedback, I was a little overwhelmed upon looking at your list of links. From someone who perpetually has tabs open of “must-read articles” and really does delight in seeing round-ups like these, I might be more inclined to look them over if there were fewer featured. Although I have no doubt that each of these contributions provided in this post are valuable.

14. Samantha says:

Yeah to the yard sale. Nay to more things to read on the web. I spend way too much time now reading blogs, and if shown more have a compulsion to look at them. Your blog is plenty long and informative now, thanks.

15. Blast. I wish I could go! I’ll be at an auction, bidding on my furniture to hoard.

16. cathy says:

While you’re in cleaning and updating mode, the bottom of the D*S blog page still shows “Recently” from December 16-20. I always liked the fact that it was current, especially for days I missed posts. Any chance for an update?

17. Angela says:

Excited to come on Saturday! How will you guys be accepting payment? We are revamping our offices and we hope to make a haul! I want to make sure I’m prepared.

18. Alex says:

so excited! i’m also wondering what forms of payment will be accepted…

1. Grace Bonney says:

alex

the sale is cash only.

grace

19. Carly says:

What a nice idea! I always like to think my old stuff is someone else’s treasure. Then I can move on to new things guilt-free. See you tomorrow. :-)