Over the past month or two, we’ve been quietly working on (much needed) a Design*Sponge office makeover. We’re going post the process and big reveal soon, but in the meantime, we’re ready to clean house. From artwork and props to furniture, rugs, accessories, tableware and paper goods, we have a ton of beautiful things that we feel ready to pass to loving homes. So a week from Saturday (on January 18th) we’re hosting a yard sale in our office! From 12-4 we’ll be there with snacks and plenty of design goodies (and some extra copies of the DS Newspaper!) to welcome anyone who’s looking for some new goods to dress up their home. The details are below– hope to see you there! xo, grace
Design*Sponge Yard Sale!
Date: January 18th, 2014
Time: 12pm – 4pm
Location: 61 Greenpoint Avenue, Brooklyn, NY (look for the signs on the door!)
Travel: G train to Greenpoint Avenue
This week, we’re also redoing the way we end our weeks. In addition to sharing our favorite posts from Design*Sponge, we’re going to be sharing our favorite social media updates, links and stories from across the web. From must-read business advice and inspiring homes to funny stories (and a cat video or two) that you’ve got to see over the weekend. I hope you enjoy our picks for Best of the Web!
- How to be Powerful, Likable and Female (NY Mag): A look at JCrew’s Jenna Lyons as a role model boss
- The Blog is Dead (Nieman Journalism Mag): a fascinating look at how social media is the new way to communicate
- Fugs & Fabs, Kat Denning (GoFugYourself): I want to live in the dress Kat Dennings is wearing. Forever.
- Making It (The New Yorker): A fascinating look at our culture’s new maker revolution and its surprising origins
- A gorgeous Scandinavian home (Design and Form): We can’t get enough white and black right now.
- Collard Green Salad (Bon Appetit): Max made this Collard Green and Cashew salad and it was “the perfect combination of mouth-watering and healthy”.
- 10 Things to Stop Hoarding (Martha Stewart): Thank you Kevin Sharkey for reminding us we don’t need to save every shopping bag.
- Joy’s 2014 “working on” list (Oh Joy): I love this very honest look at letting things go for the new year.
- D*S 10th Anniversary: 10 Months of Giving Back (and Give Aways!), Schoolhouse Electric Giveaway
- Must Read: What I Learned Over Christmas Break (Or What My Dog & The Container Store Taught Me About Change), DS Healthy Start 2014, What Mindfulness Means to Me (and How I Practice it at Home)
- Biz Ladies Profile: Elizabeth Pape
- Biz Ladies: How to Get Featured in Local Media (For Free)
- City Guide: 24 Hours in Brooklyn with Grace Bonney of Design*Sponge
- Behind the Bar: Crystal Sykes’ Sidecar
- Recipe: Chocolate Coffee Truffles (Video)
- Before and After: A Minneapolis Kitchen Gets A Fresh, Bright New Look
- D*S Pattern Book: Greek Key, Herringbone
- Sneak Peeks: Best of Fireplaces, A 425sf Lower East Side Apartment that Feels Light and Airy , A San Francisco home that knows how to celebrate color, A California Juice Bar with a Scandinavian Feel
- DIY Projects: Abstract Art Storage Boxes
- 10 Second How-To: Making Your Own (Green) Cleaning Spray
- Design*Sponge Online Black Book: Black Paint
- Design Icon: Massimo Vignelli’s Stendig Calendar
- Misc.: 20 Great 2014 Calendars,
- Team Obsessions: Grace’s Top 20, Amy’s Pinterest Obsessions