While I was writing this week’s ‘State of the (Blog) Union‘ post, the thing I kept coming back to was how much Instagram has changed my point of view and opened my eyes to the benefits of an ever-changing online world. I have found more personal and professional inspiration on that platform than any other place in the last few years. From exciting photographers and new florists to amazing new shops and people who see the world in such a beautiful and different way, scrolling through my feed every morning makes me feel connected to such a different and interesting group of people. I follow a little over 600 people (too many and I miss too many photographs) and am steadily adding more, but today I thought I’d end the week with some visual inspiration in the form of my ten (current) favorite Instagram accounts. These are the feeds that constantly leave me wanting more and intrigued by the way each person views the world with a different set of eyes, influences and interests. If you’ve got a feed you love, please feel free to share it with the rest of us! I’m always looking for more inspiration, new people to discover and collaborate with. Until Monday, have a wonderful weekend and thank you for all your thoughtful and insightful comments this week.
My Instagram Top 10 for January 2013:
- Kim Ficaro: Kim is an interior and prop stylist. I love looking at her feed for images of interesting materials and behind-the-scenes shoot details.
- Benjamin Hole: Ben runs a farm in Purbeck, England and gives such a beautiful- and realistic- look inside the daily life of his farm. I especially love his videos.
- Yvette van Boven: Yvette is an expert in all things food. She makes me hungry 24 hours a day.
- Alice Gao: Alice is a NYC-based photographer who knows her way around a simple but seriously ethereal photo.
- Ariele Alasko: It’s no secret that we love Ariele. Her feed inspired our Day in the Life column and continues to inspire me with gorgeously moody but sweet photos of everything from woodworking to pets.
- The Things We Keep (Kay): Kay is a designer I’ve been following for a while and then met in person at our local dog run. Her photos (and dog) are beautiful and full of life.
- Andrea Gentl: Andrea is one half of the talented photography and styling team, Gentle & Hyers. She and her husband Martin’s feeds are shot so beautifully and full of great flowers and food.
- Marte Marie Forsberg: Oh to be in her life for one day. Gorgeous food, shoot locations and her cottage home is lovely as well.
- Tiny Atlas Quarterly: This fantastic publication team travels to some of the most fantastic places and has great guest-posts from photographers across the globe.
- Jardine Botanic: Inspiring florals from Australia. This shop is my happy place.
Our Favorite Posts from Around The Web This Week:
- Joy the Baker on ‘Showing Up’ and her trip to Uganda: This post brought me (Grace) to tears. ‘You don’t need a lot. You don’t need anything, really. You just need compassion’
- Inside New York City’s Water Towers: Sort of gross, but also sort of amazing. A look inside these iconic rooftop structures.
- Sailor’s Valentines- via Maggie Mason: Hundreds of tiny shells make for one heck of a romantic handmade valentine.
- Tintype portraits at Sundance- via Kottke: The photo of William H. Macy took my breath away.
- Los Angeles by OBN: This quick photographic guide of things to do in LA by Old Brand New’s Dabito is beautiful and concise, perfect if you’re in town for only a little bit of time!
- The Dingbat: An ode to an under-appreciated LA modern home style—The Dingbat
- Preservation: Max is loving the logo for this preservationist groups efforts to save a quirky, atomic modern library in Hyattsville, MD
- Dark Chocolate Waffles: Enough said. They’re CHOCOLATE.
- Winter Reading: A great list of books for the armchair traveler.
- Ira Glass on Creativity: One of Amy’s all-time favorite interviews.
- The 12 Week Year: The Guardian proposes we make shorter years to find better work/life balance.
Our Favorite Posts from Design*Sponge This Week:
- State of the Blog Union: How The Blogging World Has Changed
- (New Column!) 10 Second Studio Tour: Todd Oldham
- A Day In the Life Of: The Brothers Mueller
- Challenges: 30 Day Minimalist Challenge, #DSOldHouse: Our Favorites and #DSNeatFreak Favorites
- Recipes: Halimo’s Malawah and Spiced Milk Tea
- Biz Ladies + Interviews: Profile: Victoria Vu of Paper and Type, How to Find and Work with Fair Trade Production and We Want Your Job: Interview with a Culinary Producer
- City Guide: 24 Hours in Chicago with Sprout Home
- Before and After: A Stunning Transformation for an Upstate New York Inn
- D*S Pattern Book: The history of Ogee and Toile
- Home Tours: A Retro California Home that Pops With Color, A bright & cheery family home in the Netherlands
- DIY: Sherpa Lined Plaid Cow
- Decorating Tips: Our Favorite Grey Paints, Wallpaper Tips from Sian Zeng, How to Hide Your TV Components (An Ode to the IR Repeater), 11 Ways to (Stylishly) Pet-Proof Your Home and 15 Ways to Style a Mantel
- D*S Newsletter: The Minimalist Fashion Issue aka an Ode to Lorde (sign up now if you haven’t already!)