A Day In The Life of Steven Alan

designsponge_stevenalan_main2
In a visual community like the one we’re all a part of, pictures are such a powerful way to communicate. They not only inspire us, but they give us a glimpse into the worlds of our favorite artists, designers and makers. I love the way Instagram has introduced me to so many new artists and given me a peek inside their studio lives, so I thought it would be fun to expand that idea into a new column for Design*Sponge: A Day In The Life. Every other week we’ll give you a peek inside the daily lives of some of our favorite creatives, from people like The Sartorialist, The Brothers Mueller, Ariele Alasko, John Derian and today, one of my personal favorites, Steven Alan. Steven Alan is one of my style icons and he has created a brand and shop that I trust without question as my go-to source for basics worth investing in. When he’s not creating guest collections and opening new shops across the country, Steven fills his day with a range of inspiring to-dos, like reviewing books for his home shop, meetings with his team at Tiny’s and walking through TriBeCa for ideas and visual inspiration. Thanks so much to Steven for sharing a glimpse of his daily life with us. xo, grace

Click through for a day in the life of Steven Alan….

designsponge_stevenalan_form1

kids
In the morning: Spending some time with my sons.

designsponge_stevenalan_DITL_firehouse
Walking by the Ladder 8 Firehouse: A daily sight on my morning commute to Tribeca, still dressed up for the holidays.

designsponge_stevenalan_DITL_office
At work, inside my office (the only part I can show you, since it’s really messy at the moment).

designsponge_stevenalan_DITL_shoot
I headed over to a photoshoot to check in on our web studio, where they’re shooting some pre-spring looks.

swatches
Going through swatches for our Women’s Fall ’14 collection. The baskets behind me are filled with fabrics.

lunch
Grabbing a quick lunch at Mulberry & Vine, a great neighborhood spot for healthy food.

swedish pancake kit copy
Opening a gift from our friends at Jungmaven and Armor Lux. Can’t wait to try it.

mens inspiration
Reviewing our Men’s Fall ’14 inspiration board before wrapping up for the day

designsponge_stevenalan_DITL_books
My homework is reading books to carry in our Home Shop.

designsponge_stevenalan_DITL_tinys
Heading over to Tiny’s for a quick after-work meeting.

designsponge_stevenalan_form2

1. Love this idea for a series. Can’t wait to see more!

2. m.k. says:

Thank you for this peek. Steven Alan opened a location on Newbury Street in Boston and it has become part of my daily routine on Mondays to stop by and chat with the staff and take a look at all their vignettes of product. I’m always inspired by a “day in the life” of designers/artists/stylists and this is one more to add to my folder.

3. Love the inspiration boards! Obviously a big part of how Steven works. Thank you for the insight.

4. leela says:

wonderful peek into an inspiring person! so looking forward to this series.

5. jHill says:

i love seeing the behind the scenes in a maker’s day to day life, looking forward to this series!

6. Susan says:

I love this series idea!! As a designer, I often wonder if highly successful creatives’ lives really look like the gorgeously organized look book shots… Or whether they look a little more….lived in. : )

Steven Alan has been so amazing to watch over the past several years. The way they have expanded their brand while staying true to their core vibe has been fascinating. It was a real treat to read this and get a true behind the scenes view.

And, I do hope they stock that book…The Pot Book. No idea which pot it’s about but in love with the title alone. : )

7. Katy Gilmore says:

What a terrific idea for a series! Really looking forward to these – thank you!

8. Annie says:

Oh, D*S !! From the backwaters of the Australian Coast, I thank you for this new series ~ love to peek in at how ” designer life ” happens .

9. Julian Hazlett says:

I am so excited about this new series. I will look forward to it in the future. So inspiring.

10. Donnarino@yahoo.ca says:

Steven Alan & Madewell are the two retailers I most wish would come to Toronto. Every time I’m in NY I make a point of dropping by both. I especially liked the SA Home store.

11. Koralia Tsagaratou says:

I love your new idea! Inspiring and fun! Bravo!