Although January is nearing its close and many a Resolution Revolution have fallen by the wayside, we’re still going strong on ours! This week, we’re all about letting our Neat-Freak flags fly and getting down ‘n dirty with home organization. If you’ve been bitten by a similar clean-up bug and are looking to organize your own home—we’ve got you covered! From ways to stow away piles of books to clever new methods for dispelling clutter, these tips, tricks, and techniques will have you in the organizing groove well into the new year! Check out all 52 ideas after the jump!—Max
Also—don’t forget to submit your own organizing projects and techniques to our #DSNeatFreak feature! We’ll be sharing our favorites at the end of the month!
1. Turn old dresser drawers into handy-dandy hang-alls!
2. Recycle used mailer tubes into snazzy wine bottle holders!
3. Old leather belts? Scrap wood? BOOM! Instant shelves!
5. Keep papers clean and pretty-looking by making these cute touch-of-gold clipboards!
6. Suitcases—they make great coffee tables!
7. And nightstands!
9. …And bathroom vanities!!
11. Or make a secret compartment behind some framed art!
14. Take advantage of underused hall space with floor-to-ceiling shelves!
15. Books too much visual clutter for you? Dress them down with uniform white covers for a cohesive look!
17. Remember where to put pots back with painted outlines!
18. Pegboards—also great for magazine storage!
20. Keep all of your letter-writing tools together with a small stationery kit!
21. Whip together some DIY paper boxes!
22. Recycle a tin can into a perpetual desktop calendar/pencil holder!
23. Hack a simple IKEA chair into a multi-purpose nightstand!
24. Need extra bedside storage? Consider a mini filing cabinet!
26. Divide and conquer! Create a mini office with a multi-purpose room divider/bulletin board!
27. Bring nature in—along with your mail! Make this simple, mossy mail organizer!
29. Bent that spoon trying to eat ice cream? Turn it into a handy key hook!
30. Color-code and identify keys, drawers, and more with tiny yarn tassels!
31. Turn used Altoids tins into colorful organizers!
32. Craft a chic wood and leather catch-all for mail near your front door!
33. Got too many books? Use some as building blocks for a postmodern side table!
34. Turn an old book into a portable tech organizer!
35. When working with small spaces, never underestimate the power of corner shelves!
36. You can even make one with a magazine holder!
37. Use pipes to craft a coat rack that wheels out of the way when not in use!
38. Your old CD storage drawers? Repurpose them as a kitchen pantry!
40. And your clothes!
42. Making a DIY desk? Try using filing cabinets as “legs” for extra storage!
43. Low on space? Store books face-out on shallow shelves!
46. Got too many scarves or ties? Store them and make art at the same time by hanging them on a wall-mounted wire!
47. If desk space is an issue, wall-mount your computer screen!
51. Or clothing storage!
52. Trying to save space? Use a wall-mounted shelf as an ultra-thin workspace!