DIY Project: Gold Leaf Lamp Shade

DIYLAMPSHADEMEGAN
I love gold leaf because it creates a surface with texture and dimensionality that you just can’t get any other way. It’s also a surprisingly versatile way to glam up vintage finds or even things you already own. To create an unexpected surface on this little bedside lamp I choose a fabric shade to gold leaf. The fabric’s subtle texture highlights the imperfections in the foil and gives the shade a warm and earthy elegance. A bonus of gold-leafing over a fabric shade is that your application can be less than perfect (ideal for first-time leafers). -Megan at One Kings Lane

The full how-to is after the jump!

IMG_0016-8

The Process

Here’s What You’ll Need:

-2 clean, soft-bristle paintbrushes
-An 8-oz. tub of water-based sizing (I used Dux)
-Imitation-gold leaf (I used this)

Begin by painting your surface or objects with the water-based sizing. It goes on milky white and dries clear and slightly tacky. Once the sizing is dry, you’re ready to apply the gold leaf. Simply place the thin foil sheets onto the sizing until the entire surface is covered. Use a clean paintbrush to help maneuver the delicate leaf into place and smooth out the gilded surface. To finish it off, use the same brush to remove the excess foil.

Tip: The more you smooth the gold leaf with the brush or your finger, the less visible your seams will be, but be gentle.

1. tiffany says:

This is such a gorgeous project. I was actually thinking of gold leafing my wooden jewelry box! So many things to make :D

2. Rachel says:

*ahem* pretty sure you mean “LEAF” not “LEAD” in the post title.

3. Brandyn says:

Oh, I love this! So many possibilities!

4. amanda says:

Ohhh, this is so pretty.

5. Nikki says:

Is there any potential fire hazard with this?

1. Grace Bonney says:

Nikki

Nope, none at all.

Grace

6. Katie S. says:

LOVE it!! What kind of lamp shade was used? Does any kind (flat vs. textured) work better than another?

Thanks!

1. Grace Bonney says:

katie

when it comes to gold leaf, something flatter is always better :)

grace

7. Katie says:

Ah, good to know – I’ve never used it but am looking for a first project, and this may be it! Thanks, Grace!

8. Totally want to do this for a lamp in my home, but probably with silver leaf.

9. smariel says:

I love the look of this lamp shade, but I wish there were some photos of the process used to create it. I’ve never used gold leaf before but always wanted to. It would have been helpful if there were images showing how it adheres, whether it’s ok to overlap, what to do to smooth it out, etc. Instead it’s just a photo of a complete product and list of tools?

10. Love this. Will have to try it for bedside lamps soon. Maybe teal lamp bases with gold leaf shades.

11. Eva says:

Is it in any way transparent, does it let through light?

1. Grace Bonney says:

eva

it’s incredibly thin and shouldn’t dull the light much more than the shade already does.

grace

12. Katie says:

Also, if you find the leaf sticking to the clean paintbrush or your fingers, baby powder can be really useful!

13. Nicolette says:

Where is this bed from?

14. I like the idea, reminds me one I love but I can’t afford from Delightfull: http://www.delightfull.eu/en/heritage/wall/miles-hotel-lamp.php but in gold… I’ll try it :D Thanks! And by the way, look to my blog: http://sanfranciscohomedecor.net/ Thanks and Happy New Year!

15. Wow! I love your idea. Looking for your next DIY projects.