Before & After: Fabric Covered Typewriter

TWBEFORE
Today’s first before & after makeover is one that I never would have thought to try, but I love the results! Portland’s Cori Kindred wanted to give her vintage typewriter a facelift so she covered it in a beautiful floral fabric. She started by cutting a piece of fabric a few inches larger than the portion of the typewriter that would be covered. (She used “Rosette” from Fabric Traditions, found at Joann Fabrics). Then she glued a little bit at a time (using a small paintbrush and an acrylic gel medium), cutting as she went to remove any excess. The angles and details were difficult, but Cori loves how it turned out- and so do I! I know some people prefer to leave vintage pieces in their original state, but I love how fun this feels, while still being totally functional. Thanks so much to Cori for sharing with us! xo, grace

[Cori’s got some new rock collection mixed media pieces in her shop if you need any handmade gift ideas for the holidays!]

TWAFTER

More images of Cori’s ‘new’ typewriter after the jump!

1. This is a fantastic idea!

2. Wow, this is SUPER cute! When I saw the title I was a little skeptical, but it turned out really well.

3. merlin513 says:

pretty awesome how well the fabric matches the existing space keys and feed roller.
    fabulous job Cori, you rock!

4. Lou says:

Yummy yummy yummy!!

5. Kasey says:

Wow, a great idea! I love the end result it’s so cute!

6. Mandy says:

So adorable! I would love to try it on all sorts of things… Where to begin? Thanks for sharing!

7. Mindy Fox says:

Looking et the before, I thought “Don’t touch that!!!” But I have to hand it to you, the execution looks perfect, and extremely difficult to pull off. Congrats.

8. georgia says:

absolutely adorable. It makes me smile.

9. Anna Maria says:

HI Grace!-I’d love to claim credit on behalf of my daughter Juliana Horner, that is her fabric line :) thanks and such a lovely project <3
    xo, Anna Maria

10. oh i love the fabric, thanks for posting that Anna Maria, its beautiful xx

11. Davida says:

Do you think this would work on a crock pot? I’d love to try this :)

1. Grace Bonney says:

davida

i wouldn’t suggest doing this on any surface that will get hot, i’m guessing it will affect the glue.

grace

12. cori says:

davida, i’d also be concerned about getting food on it. what if you used a fun contact paper instead? that way you could just wipe it clean. there are some fun vintage contact paper patterns out there!

13. Denenge says:

Excellent project! Does acrylic gel medium hold well as a glue over time and fluctuating indoor temps on metal? Wondering which brand you recommend and whether you added additional glue binder….

14. i didn’t think i’d like this, but it actually looks super cute!

15. Peggy says:

I love this! But I don’t think I have the heart to cover any of my vintage typewriters…

16. alyazya says:

is there any way I could possibly order this? It’s been on my wish-list since forever! is there any way I could contact you? please answer as soon as possible, thank you.

17. Susan says:

I think this is amazingly beautiful! Since it did take a while and she won’t want it spoiled by fingerprints, etc. maybe Cori could cover it with some modpodge flat? or some thing else to protect the beautiful new surface? LOVE the choice of fabric.

18. cori says:

alyazya, i just saw your comment. please feel free to contact me here: http://www.corikindred.com/about thanks!