650 Square Feet Can Go a Long Way

2Jaclyn
Jaclyn Joslin owns Coveted Home, an interior design studio and home furnishing boutique in Kansas City. When it comes to decorating a space for herself or for others, Jaclyn tries to bring a feeling of the comfortable and collected. She loves casual with a little bit of an edge – always striving to bring in an element that is a little unexpected or unpredictable. Her own apartment is only 650 square feet. It is located in the “literary block” of the Country Club Plaza in Kansas City. The buildings that make up the block were designed by one of the first female architects, Nelle E. Peters, in the early 1900s. The history, the location and the building’s details – arched doorways and beautiful crown moulding – were what attracted Jaclyn to the space three years ago. Now this apartment is home to her, her boyfriend Nicholas Andriani and their dog Simone. Jaclyn loves to mix styles and patterns but by keeping the color scheme neutral everything feels cohesive. Thanks, Jaclyn! And a big thank you to Kenny Johnson for the lovely photographs. -Amy

Image above: I purchased my beloved Saarinen table from a local furniture store, Black Bamboo. The chairs are the Winslet Chairs from Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams, the rug is a hand me down from my mother and the light fixture is a bargain I found down in the vintage haven of KC, the West Bottoms.

10Jaclyn
Image above: This chair was another vintage find in the West Bottoms. It is small but unbelievably comfortable! The pillow is from the Nate Berkus Target collection and the footstool is from Oly.

handwriting1

See more of this Kansas City home after the jump!

1Jaclyn
Image above: This is a shot of my sun room which looks out onto the Plaza.. When the weather is nice and all the windows are open, it is the best spot in the apartment. The desk is an old Pottery Barn piece and the chair is from Jonathan Adler. The pot on the table is from Anthropologie and I found the turtle shells at an antique store. The brass bookends in the window are vintage and the black + white striped chair is from Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams.

3Jaclyn
Image above: The bookshelf was made by my talented ex-husband, Kevin Banash. It was a little big for the space, but because it is so special to me and such a beautiful piece I made it work by taking out 2 of the shelves and putting my TV in it. I didn’t paint any of the walls when I moved in, probably out of laziness! I’ve had thoughts of painting the dining room or the bedroom but ultimately the off-white color keeps things from getting too busy.

4Jaclyn

5Jaclyn

6Jaclyn

7Jaclyn
Image above: My Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams sofa is upholstered in a charcoal linen. This particular frame has been discontinued, but the style is timeless and it is so comfortable. The gray and white side pleat pillow is by Stone Textile (another one of the fabulous lines we carry in the boutique!) and the other pillow is made from mudcloth.

8Jaclyn
Image above: The black and white pyramid pillow is a Zak + Fox fabric called Uroko. The artwork above the sofa is an original encaustic and oil piece by my friend and very talented artist, Leslie Neumann.

9Jaclyn

11Jaclyn
Image above: I love the hanging geode on this lamp from Arteriors. The framed French document was an antique store find, the small horse print is from Natural Curiosities and the small vase is by The Object Enthusiast (yet another great line represented at Coveted Home!).

12Jaclyn
Image above: My boyfriend is an archaeologist and he loves history. The map is his and we just taped it up with black electrical tape. I purchased the painted red bedside tables from Mint Home on Etsy, the black and white Tuxedo pillow and wool stripe throw are by Stone Textile. The white porcelain lamp is an oldie but goodie from Barbara Cosgrove Lamps. Its been discontinued but I love the gray flannel shade on it.

13Jaclyn

14Jaclyn

15Jaclyn

16Jaclyn
Image above: Simone – a Brussels Griffon.

1. Deb Harris-Balling says:

OMG Pants! Tell us about the pants! Also: entirely lovely and inspiring home surrounding phenomenal pants.

2. Tracy says:

Thank you for sharing – the home seems calm but still is eclectic.

3. Lol. Yes, the pants are fabulous!! :) The space is so beautiful too.

4. Smid says:

Very light and refreshing. I love the stool. Want it so bad!

5. So so beautiful! Jaclyn has such a great eye.

6. the kitchen nook is delightful – we’re big fans of stone textile as well! thanks for sharing!

7. Lisa says:

haha, I’m so pleased that the first comment was about those superlative pants, because as I was scrolling to the end of this beautiful post my eyes just about popped out of my head at those pants. Please. Inquiring legs need to know where those are from.

8. Lauren says:

yes, i’m stuck on those rad pants! share the deets :)

9. Helen says:

Oh, yes. This is wonderful – restrained but lovely with no loss of function.

10. Hannah says:

What a lovely apartment! Where did you get your coffee table from? It’s gorgeous!

11. Jen says:

I adore the lamp in the first photo. I was really, really hoping it wasn’t a one of a kind, vintage find.

12. So proud to be a part of Coveted Home! What an inspiring space from such a talented designer. Jaclyn is amazing!

13. Molly says:

another pants fan here. beautiful apartment too! wonderful all around.

14. firehorse jane says:

Some great architectural features – with the arches, brick and french doors!

15. Nancy D says:

It is always impressive to see inside the home of a home decorator. There is an understated elegance to this space and it is so very well appointed. Would love to see other rooms you have put together. What great taste and style you have.

16. Thank you everyone!! What a thrill to be featured on such an awesome design blog and to receive such sweet feedback:) As for the popular pants, they are Rag & Bone, from last season. Also-Hannah, I purchased the coffee table a few years ago through Robert Abbey..I’m not sure if it is still in the line though.

17. Keri says:

Jaclyn is truly talented. I only wish I could afford her style and expertise in my home!

18. sue says:

You say that what you love about your home is that it’s full of peace and love and it felt that way looking at the pictures. Lovely.

19. Amber says:

Lovely!

I’m always tickled to see KC represented. I moved here 11 years ago and was quite startled to find how great it is.

20. Susan Windsor Jones says:

Beautiful Jaclyn!

21. preeti says:

Wow! totally loved this space. So full of light and colours.

22. Amazing! I’ve lived in KC for 10 years and I had an apartment riiiiight there next to yours, years ago. And Kenny was my wedding photographer! Small world.

Incredible space. Just gawgeous.

23. Cherie says:

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your place and admire your talent. And the pants aren’t bad either. ;)

24. mahasitha says:

The kitchen light is absolutely amazing!!
    And whole house!

25. Linda Flake says:

Jaclyn has superb aesthetic. I have know her and her lovely stores for several years, once a vendor at her larger first venue here in Kansas City. Congrats to you Jaclyn!

26. Mara says:

Fabulous!

27. Leah says:

Thanks for letting us see your beautiful home, Jaclyn! It’s so inspiring. You’re a true gem and Kansas City is so lucky to have you!