Stiicks: Chic Frames For The Rest of Us

stiicks stiicks2

When decorating my home, one of the most frequent frustrations I have is the absolute dearth of attractive, affordable frames out there. I understand why custom framing can be prohibitively expensive, but the pre-made market offers little in the way of comparable alternatives. Too often, the mass-market frames out there are shoddy constructions, made with fake glass and even faker wood. When it comes to hanging prints and artwork on a budget, the good options out there are irritatingly hard to come by. That is— until now.

Enter “Stiicks“—the brainchild of Brandon Knowlden, a Chicago-based designer. Built with sustainably-sourced wood right here in the United States, Stiicks offers a remarkably simple and simply beautiful alternative to expensive custom frames. Made with industrial strength magnets, Stiicks grips your prints and artwork and allows for quick swapping, should you decide to change things up. I know that I have a closet full of posters and prints that are dying to see the light of day—and I imagine a lot of you out there are in the same boat. I can’t wait to get my hands on a set of these guys so I can get my art-hang on! —Max

Check out Brandon’s Kickstarter video for the project below:

1. I’ve seen custom versions of this method of hanging before — nice to see someone trying to bring it to market. It’s a great, stylish way to hang prints

2. I need about of a dozen of these right now. These would be amazing to hang prints in my new shop. Love them.

3. Rachel says:

I love them. Such a smart idea!

4. jenni o says:

wow. this is awesome, wish I could pick some up at the store right now!

5. we use vintage pants hangers. works for almost everything.

6. Bekah says:

Love this idea!! I’ve had a print rolled up in my closet for over five years because I never want to dish out the cash to get it custom framed!

7. amanda says:

love the idea of this. i used to work in visual merchandising and have a window backdrop print that is giant! and i don’t really want to invest the money in framing it. but something like this would be perfect.

8. christina says:

this seems like a perfect solution for textiles too…things that are too bulky or too delicate to anchor in conventional frames would be safely and effortlessly displayed with Stiicks. I have a favorite vintage silk scarf just folded away in a box, but now I can get it mounted without spending an arm/a leg. Pretty much telling everyone I know about this!

9. Kiri says:

The only problem I can see with this? As a renter, I can’t put a screw into the wall, and most renters can’t – if he can find some way of using/mentioning hooks/poster tape that is removable and doesn’t damage the wall but can still handle the weight – he’d get a larger market share. This is truly a brilliant idea.

10. I just backed it :) I have been looking for something like this, the fact the wood is from sustainable source is also awesome.