Outdated: A Catskills Cafe Where (Almost) Everything Is For Sale

Two of my favorite kinds of places are coffee shops and antique stores, so you cannot believe how thrilled I was to discover a place in Upstate New York that combines the best of both. Outdated, a large space located on Wall Street in Kingston’s historic Stockade District, has been dubbed an “antique cafe” by its founders, Gabriel Constantine and Tarah Gay and combines the couple’s two passions—vintage furniture and food. “We had our first date at a flea market and the rest is history,” says Gabriel. “During the years of buying antiques and vintage around the Hudson Valley, we began dreaming up the idea for Outdated.” The result is an open but endlessly inviting space—one part shop, one part restaurant, and one part dazzling museum of curiosities. With ample seating space and a few sofas and coffee tables thrown into the mix, being at Outdated is akin to being in a living room away from home. Add in the delicious, locally-sourced food, baked goods, and coffee and you have a wonderful (and dangerous) combination. Check out the rest of the photos plus Gabriel and Tarah’s notes about the space after the jump! —Max

Above image: Toledo schoolhouse chairs at table with multi drawer glass case full of wool blankets and 1951 Eames chairs jumbled up top.

Above image: a taxidermy moose presides over an 8-foot farm table with selection of Toledo café chairs.

Above image: An apothecary store display sits next to a Simmons steel dresser with a eather jacket representing a selection of our basement filled with vintage clothing.

Above image: We once bought a van full of unused billboards, stashing some away for our own use including this 24 sheet chevy bel-air billboard which we installed.

Above image: A high gloss white wall highlights several animal collections and a small selection of letters we sell.

Above image: Our front table is a popular communal seating area. Farmhouse Windsor chairs and a  green painted sawbuck farm table.

Above image: Daily café specials hang above a reclaimed 9-foot marble bar from an old print shop. The albino deer is our kitchen mascot.

outdated_9 outdated_10

Above image: A nickel showcase filled with pinback buttons and folk art figure with multiple heads.

Above image: A large hardware store display of old stock enamel ware, glass domes and bulb cages.

1. I love this place! Love that everything is for sale. Such an interesting eclectic mix too!

2. Deb Harris-Balling says:

Love this place! Dog-friendly also!

3. Danielle says:

What a gem! I’ll have to stop by over the holidays when I’m visiting my parents in Westchester. Coffee shops and antique stores are my favorites, too.

4. Angela says:

If you are ever in Pittsburgh, PA you should go to Zenith: http://zenithpgh.com

I wish they had photos on the website. One of my favorite places!!!

5. I love those dining room chairs! The moose head scares me a bit though…lol

6. I love this place and the the food is great too!!! A great place to go if you are visiting Kingston {or a local like me}

7. Katie K says:

Upstate NY has many hidden treasures! My husband and I take mini day trips, with and without the kids and love stumbling upon them! –

8. I would like to buy everything please.

9. OMG, what a dream this place is! ANd not too far away from us in Katonah, NY. Same here, I love antique and thrift store and coffee houses.

I grew up in my parent’s antique store in Germany and gravitate to everything vintage here in America. I keep buying more and more vintage items for our new house, the Blue Cottage, which is a lot of fun.

10. Allegra says:

This place looks so dreamy! It’s quite literally the combination of my dreams. I have always envisioned owning my own sort of antique furniture/curios in coalition with a tea house. Quite inspiring, great work. If I could, I would frequent a place like this.

11. regina says:

This place makes me feel so happy! Especially love the tables and chairs.

12. I love it ,pity its so far away from Tel Aviv

13. Denise Rawls says:

I live this and near the brother in law – deffo on my list for a visit next time we are Strate-side. Plotting my next trip to The USA via Design Sponge.

14. Geri says:

It’s amazing place! I love places and buildings which have not only special atmosphere but also history. Thanks for sharing with us!

15. Diane ElizBeth says:

It would be like eating inside Anthropology! How AWSOME!

16. Doug Warner says:

I want to be there right now.

17. I like your idea of using animals’ sculptures for decorations. Especially, the head with big horns, on the wall looks awesome.

18. Mardi Shepard says:

Absolutely wonderful and ever so charming. What fun to make this a “must stop!” I promise when I get to that part of the world.

19. we’ve been eating for years at a cafe/antique store called Hal and Kathy’s in Fall River Mills, Ca. While waiting for your freshly baked cinnamon roll or spanish omelet you can browse the rotating stock…..and bring home a rack of antlers or box of buttons. Awesome idea that should be everywhere!

20. Jen says:

Fun! Whimsy and food–a great combination. Will stop by there on my way to Andes one weekend. Max, if you are ever inclined, I’d love to see a Kingston round-up or mini-guide.

21. Wow. Makes me want to hop on a plane. Just wow.

22. Jackie says:

I want to go there so bad! What a great selection of items. Thanks for writing about it.

23. Emma says:

Such a novel idea, wow!

24. What a great place. It reminds me of a concept store I visited some years ago in Milan, you know, Carla Sozzani’s place?

25. Elizabeth says:

Great coffee and AMAZING biscuits too.

26. Kate says:

This place looks incredible. I want all of it. Right now, please.

27. Tim Hurley says:

Such a great place to leave the office and head to for lunch in Uptown!

28. Ali says:

This is the coolest place. Well done Gabriel and Tarah, you had a great idea!

29. Joy Newton says:

Take me there!!! A magical assortment of, “I want one”.

30. Rebecca M. says:

I want to go there! This place looks so interesting. What a great concept!