in the kitchen with: izy’s bacon thyme yorkshire puddings

Yorkshire-Puddings-0

I have tried for so long to get some traditional British cooking here on the column and finally I’ve done it!  We have over the years had the Eton Mess, the traditional English meal, and today we have bacon and thyme Yorkshire puddings, by blogger Izy from Top with Cinnamon.   I love the tutorials that Izy does on her blog, and am really happy to have her recipe on the column this week because it is perfect for Sunday lunch.  In the United States, we call these popovers and generally use a deeper pan, but don’t be turned off if you don’t have a special pan for these.  You can use muffin tins.  If you have a traditional British recipe of any sort that you would like to share (please, no offal!), please reach out through our submissions at designsponge.com address!  -Kristina

About Izy

Izy is the author and photographer behind the blog Top With Cinnamon, where she documents her baking creations.  She comes from a long line of women who bake, the strongest influence being that of her Italian-American mother.  where she lives with her family.  She currently lives in London with her family and loves baking, cooking, crafts and fashion!   (She’s also a complete computer and chemistry nerd!)

Yorkshire-Puddings-1

Yorkshire-Puddings-2

Yorkshire-Puddings-3
Bacon and Thyme Yorkshire Puddings (a.k.a Popovers)

• 1 cup minus 1 tbsp (125 g) all purpose flour
  • a pinch of salt
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup plus 2 tbsp (280 ml) milk
  • 4 slices of bacon, chopped
  • 5 sprigs of fresh thyme, stems removed

Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C)

1. In a jug whisk together the flour and salt, then stir in the egg and milk with a fork. Set aside.
  2. Fry the chopped bacon with 3/4 of the thyme until crisp and browned. Drain off the bacon fat and use to grease a Yorkshire pudding or muffin tin. Place the greased tin into the hot oven so that the tin can get really hot.
  3. Add the fried bacon and thyme to the batter and stir in briefly. Remove the hot pan from the oven and quickly pour in the batter. If you’re using a Yorkshire pudding tin, fill each cavity to the brim, if you’re using a muffin tin fill 2/3 full. Sprinkle with the reserved thyme. Place the pan in the oven immediately and bake for 25-30 minutes until puffed and golden.
  4. Serve straight away. Alternatively you can leave them for a few hours and re-heat in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 5 minutes.
  5. Why I love this recipe:
  6. Yorkshire puddings are such a classic, well-loved comfort food come Autumn. If you’re invited to anyone’s house in the UK for a Sunday Roast, it is guaranteed that there will be Yorkshires. They have a crispy, airy texture – a bit like choux pastry but not as sophisticated and a lot easier to make. The creviced tops are also ideal for catching pools of sauce, so they’re perfect to serve with roast beef and gravy….or you can just eat them straight up, piping-hot from the oven in all their puffy perfection.

Yorkshire-Puddings-4

Yorkshire-Puddings-5

Why Izy loves this recipe

945332_10151614688433788_1574429042_n-4

1. Max says:

Omg! I can’t wait to try these. Three of my favourite things to eat, combined. Inspired!

2. Hi
    Love me some Yorkshire puddings, but they are only traditionally served with beef in the UK. If someone British invites you for a Sunday roast and it’s lamb, pork or chicken, don’t be dissappointed at the lack of these fluffy little puddings.

3. Erika says:

These look perfect to jazz up the holiday tables!
    A small, but toothsome request: find us a killer, legit Brit, Banoffee Pie recipe!! Oh God, yum. Best I’ve had was at Tea & Sympathy in the Village. Oh, Banoffee Pie . . .

4. Angela says:

oooh, yorkshire puds! there’s also arguments over how to make them ‘properly’ up and down the country. I like mine big and puffy! the addition of bacon to this sounds great, will give it a try!

5. Cordu says:

Those look delicious! Will definitely give it a try!

6. Louisa says:

I’m sure these taste delicious but….they are too flat! Yorkshire puds should be 3-4 inches high. The secret is to get the oil in the bottom of the muffin tins scorching hot before you ladle in the batter.

7. Ainsley says:

Yeah, I tried this recipe and the puddings turned out like hockey pucks. I did some research and tried again following other recipes and you need waaay more eggs! Like equal portions of egg to milk to flour. So in this case, approx 4 eggs.

8. I LOVE it Izy, your photo styling is magnificent! I never made yorkshire pudding and now I know how, YAY! I really love the color, desaturation and overall vintage feel!

9. Elizabeth says:

These look SO fantastic. Totally adding them to my holiday cooking repertoire. It’s also great to see Top with Cinnamon of Design Sponge. Hurray!

10. Charlotte, London says:

Hmm, I think you missed the mark on England and certainly Yorkshire – Louisa is absolutely right about the technique – but they look delicious, a blini-esque spin!
    I’m not too sure about banoffee pie being British either, it seems more like an American import to me but who knows with all the culinary ping pong we play!

11. Sarah, Akron says:

Thanks Ainsley & Charlotte of London, I checked another recipe for Yorkshire pudding and upped the eggs to 3. They were lovely. Incidentally, for anyone else making them, they fill 11 or 12 standard muffin cups (2/3 full).

12. Alexandra says:

These look so good! I may be overly ambitious but I am going to make them with upton’s naturals bacon (best veggie bacon!), soy milk, and beyond eggs… Thanks for the delicious recipe! :)

13. Trisha says:

These look so so so so good. Not even with a roast just on their own with some gravy. EXCITED to make them

14. Karol says:

These were absolutely bland and flavorless. Perfect example of great food photography and crappy blog recipes.

15. Allison T says:

Looks absolutely delicious! I have always wanted to make Yorkshire pudding, your recipe looks great!