A Modern NYC Apartment that’s not afraid of color

1Vane
While most of the homes we feature are move of the DIY variety, it’s sometimes fun to get a little peek into the mind of an interior designer. Interior designers are often up for making big dramatic statements that we often need a little push to do if we’re on our own! This home is bright, funky and has a British rock ‘n’ roll feel to it. When Ghislaine Viñas Interior Design, got their hands on the space, the homeowners had already been living in the this apartment in New York City’s Tribeca neighborhood for a couple of years. The design team at Ghislaine Viñas wanted to give the space some personality, light and love so that the home adequately reflected the creative couple and their three young children who live here. This is an active family and the couple, who both love fashion and design, were up for something that was high energy and playful. Thanks to Ghislaine Viñas Interior Design for sharing this space with us and a big thank you to Jaime Viñas for the lovely photos!  –Amy

Image above: The clients already had this credenza but I thought it would be fun to play with the “woody” nature of the wood and use the faux bois-looking wallpaper from Cole and Sons.  We also played with the black and white graphics in this room and repeated different versions in the pillows and the Donna Wilson pouf.  Then we also experimented with slightly varying shades of this bright fresh green.

2Vane
Image above: I’ve always wanted to use this light fixture in a project and finally got my way.  I love the mix of styles with the Prouvé chairs and then this grand light fixture from Marcel Wanders for Flos

handwritingvane

See more of this NYC apartment after the jump!

3Vane

4Vane

5Vane
Image above: This is the fun playroom that we created for the kids – it fits the kids like a glove and the parents too – English punk and Rock ‘n Roll. We had the “smashing guitar” painted on the wall by our friends at Three Fingers painting. The column was covered by a decal and the bed cover was made from an old Union Jack.

6Vane

7Vane
Image above: This is the kids bedroom – three beds in one – bunk bed plus a trundle at the bottom. The bed was a collaboration with Francois Chambard of UM Project whom we work with often. The wallpaper gives just the right happy feel.

8Vane

9Vane

10Vane
Image above: This powder room was sort of boring and generic until we went in and covered it in Flavor Paper wallpaper. Its pretty and brutal all at the same time since it depicts peeling wallpaper. The light is sort of delightful and allowed us to add a little color to the room.

11Vane

1. Anna says:

I love the use of colour blocking involving furniture! And the graphic approach is super fun. I like their approach in using the columns as canvas as well instead of attempting to make is disappear into the scenery.

2. gina says:

where did you get the ice cream cone….love the smashing guitar reminds me of The Clash!

3. Hannah says:

pretty amazing, so much to love, Marcel Wanders light and wallpaper in bathroom and kids room are great!

4. maggie says:

This is such an amazing space – lots of color without feeling overwhelming. Thanks for the inspiration!

5. Absolutely love the living room!

6. firehorse jane says:

Love it – so fun and classy at the same time!

7. Elizabeth W says:

Wow, this place makes you wake up and come alive! It might not be something I would do in my home–well, not all of it, anyway—but it really is done beautifully! Love, love, love, the living room especially!

8. gogothrift@etsy.com says:

yummy, love those poufs….any info on them????

9. Lottie says:

Wat leuk weer heel anders , heel speels.

10. Lottie says:

Weer mooi en anders ,heel speels!

11. Cara Lawrence says:

Love the use of colour and texture in the living room. Do you know where I can get the Miffy cushion on the armchair in the lounge room? I am obsessed with Miffy :)

12. Sommer Roman says:

Can I ask where you got that green couch? love it

13. I have never seen a green such as the one in the living room used in interior design as a accent color… I absolutely love it! If I could have my place looking like this, I would be one happy girl!
    Yasmine xx

14. Marki says:

I’m in love with that large green sofa! Any info on where I can find it?

15. Kelsey says:

Those dining chairs are mid-century perfection, the green is gorgeous paired with that natural wood.

16. Mary Ryabich says:

bathroom is very cute! wooow!

17. Sara Kilbinger says:

I think the poufs are Donna Wilson.

Very cool home!

18. I just love the green room with it mid century design

19. Kelly says:

This is so gorgeous, I love everything about it. Can you tell us about the bright green rug? I’ve been trying to find a rug like that for a long time.

20. Vané says:

Sommer & Marki – it was the clients previous sofa that we had reupholstered, we think it may have been from DWR. They have a similar one for sale now: http://www.dwr.com/product/reid-sofa-86-fabric.do?sortby=ourPicks

21. Vané says:

Hey Kelly, isn’t that a great rug? Its very soft too! We had it custom made through Sacco Carpet

22. Catherine says:

The powder room!! Whee! What fun. And the bunny in the green chair, too cute. :)

23. Everything about this place is amazing. It is the freshest thing I have seen for a long time, strange that no one has done anything like it!