A Cozy Icelandic Cottage

1Halla
Halla Bára Gestsdóttir and Gunnar Sverrisson,  co-founders of Home & Delicious, bought this cottage in March 2008 and immediately set to work renovating it. The house is located by Lake Vesturhóp in Northwestern Iceland and is surrounded by nature. It had been built in the 1970s and then in the ’90s, was moved to its current location and enlarged. Not only was lacking both electricity and running water, which meant that it was only available for use during the summer when there was no frost on the ground, but it had also barely been maintained. Halla and Gunnar lovely restored the home (adding the much needed heat and running water) and now they, along with their two daughters Lea and Kaja,  spend as much time as possible in their second home. When they’re not enjoying nature, they live full-time in Reykjavík, where in addition to running Home & Delicious, Halla works in interior design and Gunnar is a photographer specializing in architecture, food and nature. They wanted the cabin to feel cozy, informal and comfortable, an escape from the daily grind. Thanks to Gunnar Sverrisson for the lovely photographs and Halla Bára Gestsdóttir for the styling. –Amy

Image above: Much of the furniture and fittings are our own build, mostly from weathered timber and joists that we accumulated with the house. The surroundings are simple, informal, rugged, country, cozy and epitomize home. White, blue and black are prominent but the colour scheme stretches into shades of turquoise, grey and pales. Other colours are added to the interior by home accessories such as candles and objects in the kitchen shelves. As you can see everything is left visible and easy to get to as we love the creation of food. Many things are welcomed into the cottage, the fusion of character completes it. A holistic presence encompasses the cabin for us.The paint used on the cabin inside and out is from Flügger. The mirrors in the cabin are from the Danish brand House Doctor and so is the pendant and lights in the cooking part of the cabin.

2Halla
Image above: Most of the furniture, with the exception of a few pieces, are of our own design and build. The daybed, is one such exception. It is an old piece from Habitat and the rattan chairs are from Ikea.

See more of this Icelandic cottage after the jump!

This post is brought to you by Decorating In Detail by Alexa Hampton. Learn the details of selecting the details that create your perfect ‘whole’ home here.

DecoratinginDetail_125x125

3Halla
Image above: The cabin is our oasis – for the environment to bear presence of us as a family and we want our guests to experience and share this feeling with us. We had some concrete ideas about how the cabin was to look and feel in the beginning but as time has passed things have evolved naturally giving it the charm of an perfectly imperfect but liberating space.

4Halla
Image above: White, blue and black are prominent but the color scheme stretches into shades of turquoise, grey and pales. Other colours are added to the interior by home accessories such as candles and objects in the kitchen shelves.

5Halla
Image above: We prefer our surroundings to be personal and that you feel welcome. Our style, both at home and in the cottage, is quite relaxed and eccentric and we like to mix and match different things and do some layering. We want it to be invigorating and feel immediate contentment when arrive there.

6Halla
Image above: The dining chairs are a mix of finds from flea markets and pieces inherited from grandparents.

7Halla
Image above: As you can see everything is left visible and easy to get to as we love the creation of food. Many things are welcomed into the cottage, the fusion of character completes it. A holistic presence encompasses the cabin for us.

8Halla

9Halla

10Halla

11Halla

12Halla

Raw, grey wood offers simplicity and romance along with patterned decorations. Curtains are Italian lace and white cotton.

13Halla

14Halla

15Halla
Image above: There is wallpaper in the entrance and bathroom opposing the white painted wooden panels. The wallpaper is from Laura Ashley.

16Halla

17Halla

18Halla 19Halla

20Halla 21Halla 22Halla 23Halla

1. I love country cottages :)

2. Elizabeth W says:

Beautiful. The cottage is so in harmony with the land around it, as though they are all deep friends. I love the clean crispness alongside the rustic touches, it’s all so mindfully lovely!

3. Suzanne says:

Amazing. The only thing more wonderful than this adorable cottage is actually experiencing Iceland. The people: fabulous! The food: funky! The scenery: breathtaking. Go to Iceland and remember it forever. Really cute house, too.

4. cathy says:

Oh my god, that punched tin pendant lamp is amazing. I couldn’t find it on the House Doctor website. Is there any more info about who makes it?

5. Svetlana says:

So lovely!
    Does anyone know where the blue striped bed throw is from or where I can find a similar one?

6. Julie says:

I love the alcove above the bed!

7. I love their use of space with the bunked bed. And the cabinet color in the kitchen, gorgeous!

8. Jen says:

I love everything about this1

9. jo says:

love everything

10. Zandra Zuraw says:

I want to move in and have my own private retreat for a week. Or a month. Do they rent it out?!

11. firehorse jane says:

Sweet place; so cozy-looking!

12. Paul says:

Really love your website. I would like to add a link back to your website. Could you please allow me to do that.

13. Sujatha says:

Old wood, rattan, white and black … great combination…love the cosy look

14. I think I’ve just pinned pretty much every photo like the little stalker I am. One of my all-time favourite Design*Sponge tours. So gorgeous, so much personality and warmth and so different – I love everything about it. And that location!! Aaaaah!

15. Sophie Islip says:

What a great place to escape to!

16. ruth Singer says:

Both cosy and calm – a perfect holiday house combination.

17. Ms Fras Fras says:

My heart just sang. What a beautiful place. How could you ever leave?! It just seems like a totally timeless house

18. smariel says:

wow, gorgeous, and the setting is stunning. looks like the ultimate sort of place to get away and unwind. it also incorporates an ideal level of design, while remaining understated. too bad it’s all the way in iceland! america really doesn’t have too many places like this.

19. Julie says:

Oh, this is just gorgeous!

20. I love this, the black and white painted walls, the rough wood, that blue! Unusually I think this cottage looks like you could spend a week in it summer or winter (although the idea of Icelandic winters scares me a little…)

21. Lisa says:

I could just move right in. Perfect!

22. Nancy D says:

OMG I want to go there.

23. Emmy Lu Friant says:

Really love this cottage and the ideas.
    This site should be fun each edtion.

Thanks Margaux, will look forward to more.

24. Charlotte says:

Wow, this looks like a wonderful place to escape to!

25. Darcy H says:

Sorry to not understand…is this cottage for rent? Please post how to rent it if that is its use. Thank you.

26. Isabelle says:

Very serene. Curious about your kitchen open shelving. Aren’t you constantly knocking glasses off the shelf?

27. Monica says:

I need to go to Iceland.

28. Jeanine says:

serious envy …. stunning and captivating! thank you for sharing this delightful place !

29. Jase says:

This is amazing inside and out, loving the way the lights have been strung. The only thing I’d add is that it looks a little cold with all the white paneling and hard surfaces. I bet it’s toasty with that log burner n the burn though!

30. Helene says:

Just my kind of hideaway and reuse of available materials eg wood. Was amused to see what I take to be the ladder on the wall to access the bunk bed above the main bed. The children must be quite athletic!

31. Sally Cheung says:

Love the furniture made from recycled wood. I really like the simplicity of the design, especially the stool and coffee table. I love the colors (especially the kitchen) and use of space. A very comfy cottage. Well Done.

32. Vanessa says:

I’ve been fascinated with Iceland since I was a child and this cottage is just so charming. This is my all-time favorite sneak peek.

33. Gorgeous home – I love country cottage style and all the rustic/natural tones thrown in with the odd punch of colour like the yellow door and blue kitchen units, a very welcoming, warm home.