Mourne Textiles

If there’s a single type of artwork or homegood that I most frequently invest in, it’s textiles. From handmade throws to beautifully made bedding, I’ve learned after ten years of working in the design that fabrics and anything that’s sewn by hand means the most to me. So when I heard from Mario about his family’s recently re-launched family hand loom weaving workshop in Northern Ireland, I was instantly intrigued. Mario’s family has been hand-weaving tweeds, furnishing fabrics and rugs since the 50’s, when his grandmother was designing and producing their goods. (Side note: you have got to read the full story of her background, it’s incredible).

Screen Shot 2013-10-28 at 4.54.13 PM
Mario has been working to bring his grandmother’s original designs back into production, staying as true as possible to her original plans. That meant getting yarns spun from scratch (not buying them from the shelf) and using traditional techniques. With a history of clients like Robin Day, Hille, Conran, Sybil Connolly and Liberty, Mourne Textiles is hoping to continue with a bright future, now focusing on teaching younger apprentices hand weaving. They are the last remaining production hand loom weaving workshop left in Northern Ireland and after reading their full history I was overwhelmed with the desire to visit in person. I’ve never been to Ireland, but looking at these pieces and reading about the incredible woman who founded this company, it’s inspiration enough to start saving. The line they’re currently offering includes throws, pillows (my favorite) and a gorgeous rug. You can click here to check them out online and order, or contact Mario and his family here for more information or to visit their South London studio. Thanks so much to Mario for reaching out and sharing his family’s story with us. xo, grace

Screen Shot 2013-10-28 at 5.06.20 PM

1. Love the simplicity of the designs. Love to see other people being inspired by their heritage. My Grandmother has inspired my website and now my brick and mortar store.

2. Polly says:

These are gorgeous! Such lovely textures.

3. Maggie says:

I love how simple but lovely these pieces are! They are a little out of my price range right now, but I really hope to support independent artisans like Mourne Textiles when my wallet allows for it!

4. Gillianne says:

Texture + neutrals = love.

5. Emily says:

Love the style of these textiles.

6. Karen says:

It’s great to see a local (well, to me. I’m just over in Belfast) business getting a great response from one of my favourite blogs! There’s so much good stuff coming out of Northern Ireland, so it’s great to see it being noticed across the pond.

7. Fiona says:

other beautiful handmade Irish textiles can be bought from

8. krista says:

I love those blankets and pillows! Beautiful

9. Ashley Johnson says:

I adore products which such wonderful history & amazing story behind them.

10. Roisin Jones says:

Do please come to Ireland, Grace!
    There was a lovely series on Irish craft recently called ‘In Good Hands’ that followed families involved in Irish crafts from the 1960s to the present. Anyone who loves the Mourne Textiles piece will really like this too…

1. Grace Bonney says:

that sounds amazing- thank you for the link!

11. susan says:

droooool. oh, these are beautiful…yum!
    that “shaggy dog” pillow is gorgeous, sophisticated and fun!
    i also love the one up top here that is a very subtle plaid.
    and, i love their homepage slideshow…really sets the scene for the mood behind the pieces. thank you for sharing this : )

12. Aveen says:

I grew up about three miles from here and never knew that Mourne Textiles existed! I’m always excited to see anything from my home town or surrounding areas mentioned on design websites. My parents still live in the town where they have their workshop, I’ll have to mention this to them. Beautiful textiles, I may have to save up for one of those gorgeous throws.

13. Siobhan says:

I’ve been fortunate to get my hands on a beautiful throw, hand woven by John one of the original weavers. I also live in the Mournes and I’m delighted to have something of such quality and beauty which has been hand crafted locally.
    This is destined to become a family heirloom.