It’s been a little while since the last Animal Love . Not that the world is starved for animal-themed product posts but when I stumbled across a badger rug, it gave me a bit of a pause. The badger had never made it to any of my animal lists. For some reason, this little guy just does not immediately spring to mind when thinking of the members of the animal kingdom. I sort of equate the badger with the hedgehog – an animal that is most frequently spotted in children’s stories rather than real life. Or at least in my real life, but I live in New York City so what do I know? In fact, I know so little about the badgers, that I had to do some googling. So here are some facts for you on this Tuesday morning:
- Badgers live in complex underground tunnels (which can be centuries old).
- They live in this tunnel system with a family of about six badgers.
- They have separate rooms for sleeping and having babies.
- They are incredibly clean – they won’t bring food or use the bathroom in their underground homes.
And even though I might equate them with the hedgehog, a hedgehog makes a tasty meal for a badger. Eeeek! The animal kingdom not as cozy as Beatrix Potter would have use believe. –Amy
See all the product links after the jump!
1. miniature swinging ‘hang in there’ badger $34.82 | 2. Badger of Honor, contact for custom order | 3. hand-printed badger fabric £35.00 | 4. badger bowl, contact for custom order | 5. badger slippers £24.00 | 6. hand-felted badger rug $100.44